Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

The Windup Girl
This topic is about The Windup Girl
Monthly Read: Themed > March Classic Read-The Windup Girl

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
Welcome to the Windup Girl read...This is one of my favorite books, so Im excited to see what people think!

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben (bstanley52) I'm in for this read. I am definitely curious about the story, as it has obviously gotten high praise (the monthly theme was Hugo AND Nebula winners). Genetically modified crops/people seems to be a well-timed subject and I'm interested to see how it is approached in this book. The future is... now? We'll see!

Banner | 138 comments I'm about half on the audio version. The plot seemed a little slow getting started but now I'm into and wondering what's going to happen. Several strong characters. I'm enjoying it...

Simon Hedge | 11 comments Just made a start on this today. My first taste of this author - I REALLY like the writing style. I think i'm going to enjoy this.

message 5: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am really enjoying reading Emiko's POV...although she was made to be servile...the treatment she is getting is just too much!

Beezlebug (Rob) | 111 comments Maggie wrote: "I am really enjoying reading Emiko's POV...although she was made to be servile...the treatment she is getting is just too much!"

This was one of my favorite reads from last year and your comment about her treatment is spot on. That was the only negative comment I ever had about the book was there was a scene in the bar concerning her 'treatment' I thought went too far. Nothing particularly graphic but it was one of those things where I remember thinking "Ok, I already got it. She's abused. This just feels gratuitous now."

Sandra  (sleo) Beezlebug wrote: "Maggie wrote: "I am really enjoying reading Emiko's POV...although she was made to be servile...the treatment she is getting is just too much!"

This was one of my favorite reads from last year a..."

Yes!!

message 8: by Don (new) - rated it 4 stars

Don (deeel) | 14 comments I join the parade of discomfort with the treatment. I understand that it is more evidence of the depravity of the culture in general and that there has been plenty of use of this theme in other work. Still I would hesitate to recommend it to the wrong person and I really want to recommend it to everyone.

message 9: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 4 stars

Right, but I think it had to be really bad in order to justify how she acts later in the book...

message 10: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben (bstanley52) Agreed that Emiko's scene in the bar was a bit much and I can't say anything about later because I'm not there yet.

To change the subject a little. I've really liked how you have to glean about the history of the world bit-by-bit. The author doesn't present it all (or large chunks) as info dumps but tells you in little comments or reactions or remembrances here and there. Really nicely done.

That is what has kept me reading so far.

Beezlebug (Rob) | 111 comments On the history note, Paolo wrote two short stories in the same universe that I thought provided some interesting insight into other parts of the world. They are 'The Calorie Man' and 'Yellow Card Man' and are part of Pump Six and Other Stories.

Or you can download them for free from Nightshade. http://www.nightshadebooks.com/downloads/

Banner | 138 comments Hey thanks for the info. Just downloaded them.

message 13: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben (bstanley52) Likewise, though I'll probably wait to read them until after I'm finished.

message 14: by Ella (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ella | 3 comments I really love the book so far, I'm glad I finally got to join in on a read. I feel like I'm simultaneously reading 'The Windup Girl' too fast and too slow. My curiosity has me speeding through pages, but the way the histories and descriptions are integrated into the story make me want to pause and analyze everything carefully. Glad to know there are two more short stories set in the same universe. (Thanks Beezlebug for posting links!)

message 15: by Banner (last edited Mar 08, 2012 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Banner | 138 comments Just finished. Thanks to whomever recommened this. I really did enjoy the style of writing and will be checking out his other works. (starting with the free short stories).

Dark and lonely....You want to hope that people will wake up before things really get this bad.

Beezlebug (Rob) | 111 comments Banner wrote: "Just finished. Thanks to whomever recommened this. I really did enjoy the style of writing and will be checking out his other works. (starting with the free short stories).

Dark and lonely....You..."

Its a different author but you might also try Seed. It feels like a version of the same universe only set in North America. In the acknowledgments the author even said he was heavily influenced by The Windup Girl.

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott I'm about 60 pages in now and it's not really grabbing me. I liked the Emiko chapter but the rest...eh.

message 18: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 4 stars

Even though this was a re-read, I was surprised at the ending. Ibasically, by (view spoiler)

So for me, the ending was so unpredictable! I think that's one reason I liked this book so much

message 19: by Rory M. (last edited Apr 19, 2012 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rory M. I listened to this on cd and really enjoyed the narrator.

Has anyone read Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi? It is marketed as young adult but I enjoyed it all the same. The setting is a similar type of dystopian world. It was a National Book Award Finalist in 2010 for Young People's Literature.