Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Wierdest Sci-Fi ever!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (last edited Mar 01, 2012 05:17AM) (new)

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
I found this article which I thought everyone would find interesting!

http://io9.com/5888835/10-weirdest-sc...

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevn57) I'd like to read Panda Ray by Michael Kandel it sounds intersting, have to check about locating a copy. Panda Ray
Panda Ray by Michael Kandel

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Strange RelationsStrange Relations - very strange indeed.

message 4: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 61 comments There's formally and stylistically weird (all that stream-of-consciousness stuff brought to the fore in SF by the New Wave of the lat 60s-early 70s for instance) and then there's thematically weird.
Cordwainer Smith for me combined both - short stories under the rubric of "The Rediscovery of Man" and one novel NORSTRILIA set in the same 'universe' (not that rigorous & consistent world-building was his forte).
LIGHT by M. John Harrison is weird and sick and chock full of imaginative space operatic fireworks.
APPLESEED (not the manga by Shirow) is a widescreen space adventure by SF critic and commentator John Clute that goes in very unexpected directions.
CREATURES OF LIGHT AND DARKNESS by Roger Zelazny - see my review. It's a mere 199 pages (take THAT! Robert Jordan) and reading it's like slugging back a shot of white lightning.
Two obscure and loosely connected novels from the 1970s by T.J. Bass - HALF PAST HUMAN and THE GODWHALE. Eco-collapse, genetic engineering, AIs and feral vs Hive-raised humans. The titular godwhale is a rogue plankton harvester created from a cyborged blue whale - her name is RORQUAL MARU and she roams the near-dead seas of Earth with her robotic consort named Iron Trilobite. It certainly blew this 14 year old's tiny mind!

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 61 comments Oh - and I'm quite the super-fan of A. A. Attanasio, who's here on Goodreads. He's done everything from straight to Lovecraftian horror, mind-bending quantum-themed SF, a planetary adventure SOLIS (which is kinda-sorta THE WIZARD OF OZ if you squint a certain way), and a pretty outre and prismatically dazzling take on Merlin and King Arthur that spans four books. The first book of that cycle, THE DRAGON AND THE UNICORN, ends with Arthur's birth! It's entirely about Merlin and Uther and Ygrane's courtship - this is NOT the usual backstory of Uther as mindless horn-dog and Ygrane as hapless f*ck-doll (pardon my bar-room patois). And I'm not Mr Attanasio's press-agent - honest!

message 6: by Jaime (last edited Mar 04, 2012 09:55AM) (new)

Jaime | 61 comments Somebody stop me! Upthread was mentioned the sexxy-times SF of Philip Jose Farmer. Welllll - his duo of IMAGE OF THE BEAST and BLOWN are a combo of hard-boiled noir, horror, pretty rough erotica and SF edging into fantasy.
There's also Paul Di Fillipo's A MOUTHFUL OF TONGUES - what a title, eh? John W. Campbell would have had heart failure followed by diarrhea if ...TONGUES ever came across his transom.

message 7: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
no, i really don't want you to stop, Jaime! it has been great reading your suggestions and being reminded of past classics that i've enjoyed (like the PJFs you mentioned).

Norstrillia and the rest of the Instrumentality universe is one of my favorite things. Cordwainer Smith is such a unique writer.

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 61 comments Cordwainer Smith had quite the varied career. There's a neat tribute website run by his daughter:

http://www.cordwainer-smith.com/

message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Douglas (ditkanate) How can anyone not want to read a book called Time Snake and Superclown?

message 10: by E A M Harris (new)

E A M Harris    | 32 comments Looking at the books mentioned a lot of them seem to date from a while ago. Is no one writing weird any more?

message 11: by Anita (last edited Jun 30, 2012 03:23AM) (new)

Anita (nitata) | 13 comments Nathan wrote: "How can anyone not want to read a book called Time Snake and Superclown?"

I would read it in a heartbeat. Sadly though I will have to wait until I find an affordable copy in some dark corner of a bookstore.