Addicted to YA discussion

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
This topic is about Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Series > Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5276 comments Mod
Thoughts?

Jack | 113 comments I actually read this as an ARC that I got through a library program. Admittedly, that was a while ago, but, besides from the names of the characters, I remember what happened.

Overall, the book was relatively good, although I didn't like how it ended so quickly.
The concept was interesting, to say the least. Trading teeth for wishes is an odd thing to do. Anyway, I thought that the characterization was really well done, and the complications in the normally black and white good vs. evil had me in a grey area.

Like I said, the book was really good. However, I think it could've been shortened a bit.

Rasma (wordsnotwars) I agree that the book was a bit on the unedited side of things. Teeth for wishes creepped me out a bit. The different type of inhuman characters that I had not read a lot of books about was a nice change from the normal. I found the tale a little bit Romeo and Juliet like. I enjoyed reading it, but it wasn't as much a page turner as I would have liked. The ending bothered me too and I would have liked it wrapped up a little more.

nick (the infinite limits of love) (nick93) I have heard nothing but good things concerning this book. I haven't read it yet, but I have a feeling I should give it a shot already.

Kate (katespofford) | 61 comments I just finished this and thought it was really beautifully written. Toward the end it did turn into the whole overdone fallen angel romance story, but I thought the chimeras were really interesting and unique and I just loved the way Laini Taylor wrote and described things.

There is going to be a sequel coming out this November, so I'm not as bothered by the abrupt ending...

message 6: by Liv (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liv Chanin (liv_chanin) | 7 comments This book has me so torn. I absolutely loved the first half, especially the way the author conveyed the setting. The second half...not so much. I thought the parts were very disjointed, and sometimes I felt like I was reading a flashback in a flashback in a flashback (you get the picture). What did you all think about the different parts?

message 7: by Liv (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liv Chanin (liv_chanin) | 7 comments Kate wrote: "I just finished this and thought it was really beautifully written. Toward the end it did turn into the whole overdone fallen angel romance story, but I thought the chimeras were really interestin..."

You're right. Laini Taylor certainly has a knack for description. I'm so jealous.

Kate (katespofford) | 61 comments Kate wrote: "I just finished this and thought it was really beautifully written. Toward the end it did turn into the whole overdone fallen angel romance story, but I thought the chimeras were really interestin..."

I thought each part in itself was really interesting. The way certain parts were referred to again and again but in different order was disjointed...

I definitely enjoyed the first half so thoroughly I was able to overlook it, plus I just wanted to find out what Karou was!

message 9: by T (new) - rated it 3 stars

T (ttynwhite) | 15 comments Liv wrote: "This book has me so torn. I absolutely loved the first half, especially the way the author conveyed the setting. The second half...not so much. I thought the parts were very disjointed, and sometim..."

I felt the same way. In my review I addressed how anything past page 300 just didn't work for me.

And as for my book boyfriends, Akiva won't be added to that list anytime soon. I was completely enthralled by him when he was first introduced and remained so up until his fourth or fifth sentence. I actually found him to be quite the wimpy little noodle.

Overall I'm not going to bother to read the second one, which is a pity because the first half was just so darn good.

Sierra~Kelley I liked the beginning but I was kind of dissapointed with the last half of the book.I was hoping Karou would set off to find her family.The ending was too abrupt.I kind of got bored too.Not the ideal ending that I was hoping for.

message 11: by Caitlin (last edited Mar 12, 2012 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caitlin (elspethgordie) | 8 comments i agree with Kelley- i feel exactly the same about the last half of the book. it just wasn't very interesting. i even got a little confused with all the flashbacks and how the storyline jumped, but the first half was really good.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked this book. I thought that the chimeras were an interesting change and something I had not seen before. However, there were a few things that I did not like as much;
1. Karou-I thought she was a bit too perfect, she was beautiful, powerful and pretty intelligent.
2. Using teeth for wishes. Um, ew much? That grossed me out a bit.
3. Flashbacks. I know these were put in to give us background information but after a while they bored me. Also, I think that reincarnated lover is getting a bit old. Can't someone love someone else for them and not coz they are a new version of their last love?
4. Madrigal. She annoyed me. Mostly because, again, I thought she was too perfect. Also, because of her feelings* towards.......that guy who is half jackal (sorry, mental blank. I think his name starts with t?) Anyway, I thought there was a feeling of something there. As well, I didn't think that how she fell in love with Akiva was explained well. It was very sudden, I think.
5. The ending. It was very abrupt. One minute Akiva was telling Karou that he is the reason for burnt hand marks and BOOM next chapter she's with creepy guy (again, can't remember his name).
Overall, however, I thought it was a great book and I will be reading the sequel.

message 13: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Nguyen | 1 comments Liv wrote: "This book has me so torn. I absolutely loved the first half, especially the way the author conveyed the setting. The second half...not so much. I thought the parts were very disjointed, and sometim..."

The second half for me was actually what enthralled me the most. I agree that it was quite confusing to have flashback after flashback, and it seems that there were also flashbacks within flashbacks, so I went back and reread those chapters and it made complete sense. Afterwards it just made me love Akiva and Karou even more because it was so interesting to see their past lives and how they both got to where they are now. Lovely book. Can't wait for more!

Rachel (rsviolet) | 5 comments I liked the flashbacks but wished they were spread apart through the story in sections. That would have made the book more suspensful

message 15: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Wiggins | 10 comments Rachel wrote: "I liked the flashbacks but wished they were spread apart through the story in sections. That would have made the book more suspensful"

Ditto! I got sort of bogged down with the huge flashback at the end.

Rachel (rsviolet) | 5 comments :) Too much information at one time!

Sierra~Kelley For a terrible moment I had though that Karou was Madrigal's daughter

message 18: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

I loved the first part of the book but I ended up skimming most of the second part I just didn't really want to hear about Madrigal.

Sherri Arnold | 14 comments I enjoyed reading this book. I agree, the first part of the book was better. I would like to have seen a little more of the attraction between Akiva and Karou. They just seemed to be fighting each other, then all of a sudden they were not. A little more transition from one to the other. I did not love all the flashbacks in the story, but overall I liked it. I will definitely read the sequel.

message 20: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena (lenaelika) I think, the book was amazing. But the ending was so abrupt...
Are all chimaera really dead? Or only those from Loramendi, so there are other chimaera cities in Eretz or just slaves left?
Why Akiva wanted to accompany Karou through the portal at first (when he didn't know who she is), if he had known that Brimstone and all her "family" had died?

ReadingToTheStarsAndBack | 11 comments I loved it! The descriptions were magical and really captured you! I only read it the once, (i don't own it, i got from our local library) and remember the main parts of it, but all of the other stuff has just gone from my memory. I feel as if i should read it again, possibly buy it.

One part, or character, that really stood out for me was the fallen angel...person that clung to the back of someone else neck. He was crippled and later died in the book. Please tell me someone rememberes it and i'm not thinking of another book?

Anyway, i liked him because all of the other typical fallen angles out there are extrrreamly beautiful. This dude, wasn't.

VW XD

Joyce Chua (joycechuawrites) | 5 comments Oh gosh, I absolutely love this book. Normally, I steer clear of angels/demons stories, because they all sing the same tune. But this one's Greek mythology and it's a refreshingly original take. I love the backstory, the bizareness of the story, the setting and the how vivid and full of history it is. Only tiny complaint I have is that there were several cliched phrases sprinkled throughout. But otherwise, it fully deserves 5 stars.

message 23: by Lena (last edited Mar 19, 2012 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena (lenaelika) Veronica wrote: "One part, or character, that really stood out for me was the fallen angel...person that clung to the back of someone else neck. He was crippled and later died in the book. Please tell me someone rememberes it and i'm not thinking of another book?"

Yes, there was the fallen angel Razgut, hideous with purple swollen taut head and useless twisted legs. But he didn't die. At the end Karou used a wish to give him the opportunity to fly again and Razgut took her through the portal in the sky to the mythical world of angels Eretz. So he might play some role in next book as well.

message 24: by Noor (last edited Mar 23, 2012 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noor (noor_a) | 197 comments Joyce wrote: "Oh gosh, I absolutely love this book. Normally, I steer clear of angels/demons stories, because they all sing the same tune. But this one's Greek mythology and it's a refreshingly original take. I ..."

Me too! I also usually steer far from angel books for the same reason.

I actually liked this! The Chimeras were described really nicely. I'm not sure if its been done before but I like the whole wishing concept- it was fresh and new. Also making necklaces in order to make the shell of lost soldiers was also a cool concept! I also loved the love story! Yeah the fact that they are old lovers is something that is common in angel books, but it was done well. Despite that, I enjoyed this book!!! I will read the next one.

-btw this was on Cassandra Clare's book recommendations list, which other than the cool wishing concept drew me in and convinced me to read this book.

message 25: by Noor (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noor (noor_a) | 197 comments Bethany wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I liked the flashbacks but wished they were spread apart through the story in sections. That would have made the book more suspensful"

Ditto! I got sort of bogged down with the huge..."

I agree too!! Much more suspense- but it was a good book despite that.

message 26: by GW (new) - rated it 5 stars

GW (gwreading) | 1 comments Kelley wrote: "I liked the beginning but I was kind of dissapointed with the last half of the book.I was hoping Karou would set off to find her family.The ending was too abrupt.I kind of got bored too.Not the ide..."

Felt the same exact way, I actually skimmed through the flashback parts because I was so disinterested! Karou's parts are definitely more interesting than Madrigal's.

Stephanie This one is on my TBR list for this year. I heard really good things about this book. Can't wait to get a hold of it.

Sydney This book was pretty good. It wasn`t one of my favorites, but I`ll probably still read the next one.

One aspect of this book I didn`t enjoy, was that while I was reading, I had a very vague feeling that this book was somewhat trying to copy the Mortal Instruments books. Not with Shadowhunters, demons, Downworlders etc, but like how Karou sketched, especially Akiva, which reminds me of Clary and Jace, and also the way they describe Akiva is being so beautiful, similar to Jace`s description. I don`t know if it`s just me!

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments I haven't read it but am a little freaked out by the cover. I have no idea why...!!

Sydney Anne wrote: "I haven't read it but am a little freaked out by the cover. I have no idea why...!!"

Don`t worry, I was too :P

message 31: by C.M. (new) - added it

C.M. Allen (httpwwwgoodreadscomcmallen) | 7 comments I'm ridiculously late on this, but wanted to add my opinion. Great characters, amazing descriptions and settings, and, finally, in chapter 9 a story! After it got going, I liked the premise, but it got a little gushy for me in the end. Of course, I'm a fossil, so...

message 32: by ~T~ (new) - rated it 5 stars

~T~ (tasheana23) I agree with you C.M... On the fact that it took a minute to get going, I was SOOO confused at first. But overall I LOVED the book. It was so completely original, and I actually liked the gushyness.. Lol I think since my love life is so nonexistent, I live through the characters in the books I read. And she writes sooo beautifully I couldn't put it down!

message 33: by C.M. (new) - added it

C.M. Allen (httpwwwgoodreadscomcmallen) | 7 comments At the end of it all, I am looking forward to the next one. Her descriptons alone are worth it. Enjoy them.

message 34: by ~T~ (new) - rated it 5 stars

~T~ (tasheana23) Agreed!

Autumn (soccerchick98) | 1 comments I really liked this book. I loved the mystery behind the second door in the shop that had mysterious banging. I LOVED THE CHARACTERS NAMES!!! they were so unique. I can't wait to read the second book

Dannette (dtte) | 7 comments I read this book back in May, and I really enjoyed it. Being set in Prague, as opposed to the typical North American city really added to the mystery for me. Laini Taylor's descriptive writing allows you to picture everything in great detail, without being distracted by it.
If I had to say something negative about this book, it would be that story ended abruptly. I find this a lot with first books in a series.

Hayley Liv wrote: "This book has me so torn. I absolutely loved the first half, especially the way the author conveyed the setting. The second half...not so much. I thought the parts were very disjointed, and sometim..."

I couldn't agree more! I really liked the first half of the book but hated the second half because of Karou's first life. I would have loved the book so much more if Karou had no previous lives and was just a human raised by chimaera.

message 38: by Noor (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noor (noor_a) | 197 comments Sydney wrote: "This book was pretty good. It wasn`t one of my favorites, but I`ll probably still read the next one.

One aspect of this book I didn`t enjoy, was that while I was reading, I had a very vague feelin..."

Me TOO!! well i didnt think it was copying it, it just reminded me of Jace and clary.

but you know that was just one aspect of it, there was some really original things. (except for the whole old lovers thing.. thats what got me... its just been done so many times in angel books, if Akiva and Karou weren't previous lovers I would have loved the book more.)

message 39: by Noor (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noor (noor_a) | 197 comments Hayley wrote: "I couldn't agree more! I really liked the first half of the book but hated the second half because of Karou's first life. I would have loved the book so much more if Karou had no previous lives and was just a human raised by chimaera"

AGREED!!!

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments I've read all the comments and there are a lot of people that I agree with. I'm reading this now and have a few thoughts:
1. Trading teeth for wishes is absolutely disgusting. Sometimes I like things that are a bit on the weird side but this is just weird.
2. I love the way that Laini Taylor describes things.
3. It's so creative ! Even though Karou seems a bit to perfect to me, I like the touches the author added to her character, such as the fact that she has blue hair and a tattoo that says "true story" and a lot of other things about her.
4. I'm a little confused as to how Karou and Akiva fall in love. It seemed rather sudden. After all, they were attacking each other only like 24 hours before the fall in love.
5. I really like the intro to the boook--how the book starts out with Karou walking to school and her looking through her sketches. It was a good way to start out the book and make sure that the reader didn't get confused when they were reading it.
6. The names are a little obnoxtch. Akiva seems like it should be a girl's name and Karou seems like it should be a guy's name.
7. I think I'll read the sequel if the book ends well.

:)

message 41: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie wrote: "I've read all the comments and there are a lot of people that I agree with. I'm reading this now and have a few thoughts:
1. Trading teeth for wishes is absolutely disgusting. Sometimes I like thi..."

Have you finished it yet?

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Not yet, 59% of the way through.

message 43: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

That might be why you might be a little confused about how Karou and Akiva fall in love. I really hope you like it!

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Aha--it was really sudden to me I was like, "Wait did I miss something?" I guess i'll find out:)

message 45: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah now that I think of it it was really sudden.

message 46: by Shi'Asia (new) - added it

Shi'Asia (kawaiiemotions) I've tried twice to read and finish this book. I plan on checking it out again so I can hopefully finish it.

Missy (missy_aurora) I"m currenlty reading it and love the authors description and imagination. Totally creative and really good characterization. The story of the trading teeth reminds me of the tooth fairy fairy tale we were taught as children except instead of money people are granted wishes. I"m only 100 pages into it but the Chimera aspect is really interesting and also the culture, don't read much about European Settings (outside of English Lit)

Vicki I wanted to like this book, I really, truly did. However, I felt so disconnected from it. I thought the first half was great. I grew skeptical after Karou and Akiva's alley fight. Then I had an "oh, come on!!" moment once the big reveal of who Karou actually was happened. I could see it leading there, but was hoping for a different, unique direction. But that didn't happen. Everything after the reveal just dragged and dragged. Standard Romeo and Juliet, star-crossed lovers deal that has been done over and over and over. I found myself not caring about the MCs. And then the ending was so abrupt and melodramatic. I just - yeah. It wasn't my cup of tea. I may re-read it though, to give it another chance. Oh, and the teeth thing drove me crazy. I just didn't care about the teeth. At all. Ugh, the teeth. Shudder.

Allison Landers | 8 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one! I also really liked the first half and then as soon as they revealed where Karou really came from and all that gooey stuff with the love story part they completely lost me. I really wish that had gone a different direction. That was my biggest issue with the book.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I picked up this book with high hopes. It started with an interesting premise that became a cliche paranormal romance. Half way through I lost interest and skimmed. I shouldn't have wasted my time!

« previous 1 3