Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets #1)
This topic is about The Choice
Amish Group Reads > March's Book - The Choice by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel Brand This month we'll be reading and discussing The Choice by Suzanne Woods Fisher!

The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets, #1) by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Lancaster County has always been her home--but where does her heart belong?

One moment Carrie Weaver was looking forward to running away with Lancaster Barnstormers pitcher Solomon Riehl--plans that included leaving the Amish community where they grew up. The next moment she was staring into a future as broken as her heart. Now, Carrie is faced with a choice. But will this opportunity be all she hoped? Or will this decision, this moment in time, change her life forever?

A tender story of love, forgiveness, and looking below the surface, The Choice uncovers the sweet simplicity of the Amish world--and shows that it's never too late to find your way back to God.

Jump in with any thoughts you have on the book! Just please refrain from posting any spoilers until later in the month. If you are going to post any spoilers, make sure you post a warning, like *** SPOILER ALERT! ***. Enjoy!

Rachel Brand So, has anyone started this book yet? I read it during the summer and can remember it quite well, but I've not yet got around to reading the rest of the series.

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I read this one as well. Loved it!!

Mercedes Cordero (mercecordero) | 17 comments I loved it, too, although **SPOILER ALERT** I thought there were too many deaths. They served a purpose, of course, moving the story along, and marking the changes in Carrie's life, but I think the author should have tried to accomplish that through other means.

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Ooohhhh I meant to mention, for anyone looking to save $$ this month, The Choice is lendable via Kindle. I haven't lent it out yet, so I would be happy to lend it to the first person to PM me! Anyone else who has it on Kindle should be able to lend it too, if they haven't lent it out once already!

Rachel Brand Mercedes wrote: "I loved it, too, although **SPOILER ALERT** I thought there were too many deaths. They served a purpose, of course, moving the story along, and marking the changes in Carrie's life, but I think the..."

Mercedes, I know what you mean. I was initially put off the book when I started reading it because so many bad things happened to the main character. I ended up loving it in spite of this as the story was so compelling, but like you, I'm not certain if all those events were really necessary.

Mercedes Cordero (mercecordero) | 17 comments Rachel wrote: "Mercedes wrote: "I loved it, too, although **SPOILER ALERT** I thought there were too many deaths. They served a purpose, of course, moving the story along, and marking the changes in Carrie's life..."

Yes, her life was marked by tragedy, and I didn't like that part, but, like you, I ended up loving it and learning from Carrie how to rise up despite the bad things that happen to us. Amish fiction has really helped me change for the better.

Rebecca I really like this one for. As much as it's a hurt for Carrie. I empathize with Daniel.

I am curious about the mention of celery several times being planted. Is it for good fortune for the Amish.

Kate (liahonagirl) I really enjoyed this one. I understand the plot device that the deaths played into, so it wasn't a big deal to me. I liked how Carrie and the other characters in the novel figured out what choices were best for them to find happiness and bring them closer to God. A good read for sure.
This sure felt like a stand-alone. Does anyone happen to know if it is, or if there have been/will be more in a series?
To Rebecca . . . no, as far as I'm aware, celery isn't good fortune. However, in what I have read, it is customary to serve dishes of creamed celery at Amish weddings, as well as to use it much as we Englischers would use flowers, in vases to decorate the tables at the wedding feast. So for Esther and Emma to hope to plant celery just means that they are hoping for a wedding to happen in the family. At least that is my understanding! :)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Actually Kate, this book is the first of a series of 3. Here is the link to the list of books by Suzanne Woods Fischer:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie (julieanne1) | 13 comments I enjoyed this book and the sequels as well. It was touching and emotional. Great choice for this group.

Rachel Brand We're nearing the end of the month... Does anyone have any questions or points for discussion, thoughts that came up while you were reading the book? A lot of us have mentioned the heartache throughout this book. Did this spoil the book for you, or did you still enjoy it?

message 13: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Watson | 222 comments Back in spring of 2010, this book was the very first book by Suzanne and Amish book that I read, and I became hooked on reading Amish books ever since.

message 14: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Watson | 222 comments I have read The Waiting and The Search from this series and loved them all.

The Search will make you laugh at a certain funny character.

message 15: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 17 comments I'm still reading it but think it's good. A lot of heartache, yes but still good. A new to me author. Not sure I'll read the sequels.

message 16: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Watson | 222 comments the sequels, I feel are better in regards to heartache.

Rebecca I loved this book. I didnt really get caught up in the deaths. Only when Daniel died I was peeved but then Abel came and I was quickly happy again. I didn't care for Sol or Mattie as much. I thought it was a great book with well written characters with human flaws.

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I finished the book last night. I loved the story. There were so many deaths in a short period of time though. It just shows that it is God's plan for our lives and that all of our choices are a reflection of Him.

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
I read this one too and really loved it can't wait to read on in the series.

Rebecca Enjoy Lori. I am just starting the last book. I think my favorites are the first and last.