Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Genre Challenge > March Genre Challenge - Memoir

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki Here's the definition I found for memoir:

A memoir is a special kind of autobiography, usually involving a public portion of the author’s life as it relates to a person, historic event, or thing. The text is about the personal knowledge and/or experiences of the author.

In contrast, an autobiography covers the author’s entire life to the present, and is expected to include details about his or her public and private life. A biography is someone’s life story written by another person.

BUT - Feel free to read whichever style you like - even a biography if you're so inclined.

message 2: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I'd like to hear some favortie memoirs from everyone.

Not sure all these classify but here are some of mine:
Lucky
My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands
The Glass Castle
Loose Girl: A Memoir of Promiscuity
Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea *CHEERS*
Eat, Pray, Love
So far all I've read by him Augusten Burroughs

message 3: by Melki (new)

Melki The Glass Castle was a good one. I also liked The Liars' Club, Heart in the Right Place, and The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

I'm looking for some memoirs with exotic locales that I can count in my Readin' Round the World challenge.

I'm also thinking about Fifty Acres and a Poodle.

message 4: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I love memoirs. I'm going to dig through my over stuffed bookcases and see what I can find.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments My favorite memoirs appear to be written by rock musicians. I loved Broken Music, Life, and Each One Believing: On Stage, Off Stage, and Backstage. I also highly recommend Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, especially if you are remotely interested in raising your own food. (Kevin still says no to the GD chickens.)

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey OK, the 3 that I would like to read this month are Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? and Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China and Devotion: A Memoir. I think that's ambitious of me if I think I'm going to read all 3, lol.

message 7: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Not sure which one I'll pick but I'm looking at maybe Seriously... I'm Kidding or Letters of a Woman Homesteader.

message 8: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I have Seriously...too. I wasn't sure if it was a memoir.

message 9: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Stacey you could be right about Seriously. From what I've read it's a collection of funny stories some true some not so....

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Letters of a Woman Homesteader is one of my favorites! And there was a wonderful movie version, too.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz Hmm, not sure what I'll pick. Some of these sound interesting.

message 12: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Theresa wrote: "Letters of a Woman Homesteader is one of my favorites! And there was a wonderful movie version, too."

Oh is there a movie version?? Well that is moving up to the top of my list. Was recommended to me years ago by boss.

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Gretchen wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Letters of a Woman Homesteader is one of my favorites! And there was a wonderful movie version, too."

Oh is there a movie version?? Well that is moving up to the t..."

It's called "Heartland" and it stars Conchata Farrell and Rip Torn, and I just love it.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments Letters of a Woman Homesteader is available for Nook on B&N for just 95 cents! I've just downloaded my copy!

message 15: by Melki (new)

Melki I just finished an excellent memoir - Stitches by David Small, - a beautifully done graphic novel, it's a sad, yet hopeful story of one man's unhappy childhood.

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Theresa The Summer of My Greek Taverna : A Memoir will be my memoir for the month. I picked up a copy at a resale shop. I wanted something that would take me away.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I picked up a few books at the library on the women's history shelf. I will have to see which ones I might read.

message 18: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Julie wrote: "Letters of a Woman Homesteader is available for Nook on B&N for just 95 cents! I've just downloaded my copy!"

Ha! Got me all excited Julie. Was gonna look and see what Letters cost for my sony eReader. Doh! I already have a hard copy of the book. Hard to pass up good deal! lol

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Carol wrote: "I picked up a few books at the library on the women's history shelf. I will have to see which ones I might read."

Which books did you pick up from the women's history shelf, Carol?

message 20: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Mar 07, 2012 06:40AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I have several memoirs to read and I think I will go for The Pianist by Władysław Szpilman

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Theresa wrote: "Carol wrote: "I picked up a few books at the library on the women's history shelf. I will have to see which ones I might read."

Which books did you pick up from the women's history shelf, Carol?"
I was pleasantly surprised that they had a display for Women's History Month.

The books are:
The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels
Wait Till Next Year

My Life in France

Eden's Outcasts: The Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Fathernot a memoir, but sounds interesting.

My mom's caregiver is from Ghana, and she just readKing Peggy: An American Secretary, Her Royal Destiny, and the Inspiring Story of How She Changed an African Village. It is hanging around, so I might just try to read it.

message 22: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) I'm late joining in, but I'm going to start reading:The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden|86654]. I think it's a memoir...or sort of.

message 23: by Melki (last edited Mar 08, 2012 05:04AM) (new)

Melki I saw "King Peggy" on The Colbert Report. Her book looks interesting.

The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Ga is a fun book! For the amount of money we spend on our garden each year, it would be much, much cheaper just to hit the farmer's market.

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments I just finished Crazy for the Storm and now I think I'm going to read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake. I'm getting a lot of great ideas from this thread. I love memoirs!

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments It may be more of an autobiography, but I just picked up Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter from the library.

message 26: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Julie wrote: "I just finished Crazy for the Storm and now I think I'm going to read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake. I'm getting a lot of great ideas from this thread. I love memoirs!"

I have Lots of Candles on my WL! Are you lucky enough to have snagged an arc?

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments Stacey wrote: "Julie wrote: "I just finished Crazy for the Storm and now I think I'm going to read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake. I'm getting a lot of great ideas from this thread..."

Yes! I got a copy from LibraryThing! If you want I'll send it to you when I'm done!

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I just sent in my request to BookBrowse today to receive and review Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake. I haven't requested anything for quite a while, so my chances for getting it are good. I wish it were another novel, but her memoir is ALMOST as good. Really, anything by Anna Quindlen's works for me.

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (odamom) | 18 comments I am still slogging through The Templar Legacy, though the end is in sight. Don't know why I feel compelled to finish it...........

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz I just picked up Letters of a Woman Homesteader & Fifty Acres and a Poodle: A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm from the library. Will read one or both for this month's challenge.

message 31: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (bookchick64) Melki I read Stitches last year. Moving, harrowing and sort of claustrophobic. I truly liked it.

message 32: by Sandy (last edited Mar 19, 2012 06:14PM) (new)

Sandy (odamom) | 18 comments I finally finished The Templar Legacy. It was well written, and surprised me somewhat with the ending. Know I will finish Stephen King's Dreamcatcher and then on to something new. Hopefully I can take part in the challenge in April.

message 33: by Melki (new)

Melki Just finished the hysterically funny The Beauregarde Affair. It details one month in the author's life, so I'm counting it as a memoir.

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Melki wrote: "Just finished the hysterically funny The Beauregarde Affair. It details one month in the author's life, so I'm counting it as a memoir."

This looks so perfect, Melki. I have to admit that I'm not loving the memoir I chose. Maybe I should move on.

message 35: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Is a diary and memoir the same?

message 36: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments Sandy wrote: "I finally finished The Templar Legacy. It was well written, and surprised me somewhat with the ending. Know I will finish Stephen King's Dreamcatcher and then on to something new. Hopefully I can t..."

Welcome to our group Sandy!

Hey everyone, Sandy is my sister-in-law!! Glad you jumped in and joined us!

message 37: by Melki (new)

Melki From the definition I found for memoir, I think a diary would certainly qualify.

Welcome to the group, Sandy.

message 38: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Stacey wrote: "Is a diary and memoir the same?"

Stacy, I consider them different. A memoir is much more stylized, with the author reflecting on and recreating events that happened. A diary is more of a day-by-day accounting that can stretch over a large number of years. Of course there can be reflection and recreation in diary entries, but the author is not dealing with one particular event.

message 39: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (bookchick64) So I just finished My Horizontal Life:A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler. It was a light hearted, fairly honest, inside look at her sex life (or lack thereof) told with much self deprecation and sarcasm. Enjoyed the genre, will probably try other memoirs.

message 40: by Liz (new)

Liz This is why I love these groups. I never would have read Fifty Acres and a Poodle: A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm or Letters of a Woman Homesteader on my own, but I really liked both of them. Thanks for the challenge AND the recommendations!

message 41: by Melki (new)

Melki Don't think I'm going to get to "...Poodle" this month, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I finished Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight - a win/win as it's not only a memoir, but gives me Zimbabwe for my Readin' Round the World Challenge.

message 42: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Melki wrote: "Don't think I'm going to get to "...Poodle" this month, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I finished Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight - a win/win as it's not only a memoir, but gives m..."

Melki, I really liked Don't Let's Go to the Dogs. What did you think?

message 43: by Melki (new)

Melki A good read. Mum was something else, wasn't she?

message 44: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Not sure if Tough Shit: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith counts as a memoir but I'm going to read it for the memoir challenge. I know I'm a month behind. *sigh*

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Jsut finished One Flew into the Cuckoo's Egg: My Autobiography by Bill Oddie - not quite a memoir but still a good read.