March Group Reads > Behind the Hood

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 244 comments Mod
This discussion is for Behind the Hood

message 2: by Marita (new)

I personally feel this is an adult book, but I was out voted. Though, I have warned you. And I blame Angela if anything goes wrong. Yup, duck and run is a good motto in my old neighbourhood :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Marita wrote: "I personally feel this is an adult book, but I was out voted. Though, I have warned you. And I blame Angela if anything goes wrong. Yup, duck and run is a good motto in my old neighbourhood :)"

I always get blamed for things, so no skin off my nose, lol. Still, the reason I was a stickler in the other thread was because I thought the teenage voices were authentic and well done. Plus, all but 1 of the 65 chapters were done from a teenager's point of view. So, regardless of the adult content I still think it's okay to read it here as long as people realise what they are in for. Plus, there is a R18 on there, plus a warning about not for the fainthearted.

message 4: by Marita (last edited Feb 29, 2012 11:09PM) (new)

Okay, but as long as I don't get people saying that this shouldn't be classed as YA, because I haven't done so. It's harsh realism. But, yes, it is edgy with young adults in it, just not YA.

I'm going around in circles, tripping up on my tongue here :)

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 2 comments For what it is worth, I think it is an adult book with adult content.....it just happens to be about young people........doesn't mean I would want my 14 year old (if I had one) reading it......

message 6: by Marita (last edited Feb 29, 2012 11:34PM) (new)

Debbie wrote: "For what it is worth, I think it is an adult book with adult content.....it just happens to be about young people........doesn't mean I would want my 14 year old (if I had one) reading it......"

Oh, God, no. I've got a 14-year-old daughter (it's her birthday today) and she isn't allowed anywhere near "Behind the Hood." I said she can read it when she's 18 (hopefully she's forgotten about it by then:)

message 7: by Bree (new)

Bree Garcia Okay, just finished it last night, and I have to say that I agree with everyone that it's a very adult book. I sometimes forgot that these were just kids having to deal with extremely adult themes. I can't imagine having to go through what some of them went through at that age, or even now.

PS - Marita, you have made a huge fan out of me! Fantastic book, and the ending seriously made me gasp so loud I scared my cat.

message 8: by Marita (new)

Thanks, Brianna :) I've had a lot of people say that about the ending. Ash is the main character in my next two books, which is why I wanted to end the first book mentioning him. Nike doesn't return until book 3, but in the prequel people see him as an eight-year-old arguing and winning a fight against Sledge even though he's smaller :) That's in Graffiti Heaven which also has his father in it as Ash's rugby coach.(Graffiti Heaven is a prequel series.)

Unlike Behind the Hood Graffiti Heaven is edgy YA, and I can't wait until it comes out. It's fun writing it as it's not all dark, with quite a lot of humour.

Ash is also one of the main characters in the sequel to Behind the Hood (Behind the Tears), which is adult, although like its predecessor also has some teenagers in there, although less this time.

Give your cat a pat for me as a sorry :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 20, 2012 10:36PM) (new)

If it has Ash in it as a main character it's got to be dark.Did I mention I love the cover of Graffiti Heaven? I like all of the covers, but that one is certainly eye catching.