Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)
This topic is about The Goddess Test
The Goddess Test > Greek Mythology & the Tests

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What do you think about the Mythology in this book? What do you think about Henry (aka Hades) and how he acts in the book? What do you think of the God's names or how they were portrayed?
The big question is... what do you think of the tests? They revolve around the Seven Deadly Sins. Did it bother you that these concern Christian ideology when they were/are a religion in and of themselves (Greek)?

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I haven't finished the book yet but I'm really confused. Are Calliope, Ava and Xander gods? If Calliope is Hera, why isn't she in the council meeting that happens in early March? If Xander is Dionysius, how is it possible that Theo was able to kill him and send him to the Underworld? How did Ava die in the first place if she's Aphrodite? Maybe I'll find the answers to these questions by the time I get to the end of the book.

As for basing the tests on the seven deadly sins - the human flaws that are termed 'sins' in Christian beliefs are weaknesses shared by all people of all faiths and beliefs. Kate recognizes them as the seven deadly sins because of her Christian background. A believer of a different religion or a pagan would still recognize them as being human weaknesses that might be an impediment to godhood. On the other hand, one of the most famous gluttons and drunkards is Dionysius - but he's forgiven for those weaknesses because it's part of his 'job' as the god of wine.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Grace wrote: "Maybe I'll find the answers to these questions by the time I get to the end of the book."

Replying to my own post - yes, my questions were answered at the end - at least most of them. There are still some loose ends, though.

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Mar 10, 2012 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Ok I just finished this book. I was never able to guess the gods while reading. I also NEVER thought all the people she was meeting were going to be gods. I did suspect her mother because at the beginning of the book we read that little story about the woman who tells Henry that she wanted to try again with one more girl.

I thought it was a little strange that Hades or Henry was a virgin. (rolls my eyes) After thousands of years?? really? I enjoyed the view about heaven/hell in this book. It is what you believe as a person. If you think you are to be judged you will. If you think there is a heaven there is. It was never really explained why James wanted to rule the underworld? Was it because once man kind faded all the gods faded BUT the ruler of the underworld?

I suppose the reason James kept his head down during the council and wouldn't look at Kate was because he loves her?

I didn't think the mythology tests were going to be the sins. I thought they were going to be more... action packed. Like she would have to do the same things as Hercules or something similar. I thought gods didn't really care about morals either. I can see what Grace is saying. The gods were trying to see if Kate was god-like. No human failures right? It didn't totally add up for me though. The greek gods always sounded ruthless to me. That brings me back to my Hercules thoughts... when the gods tested humans it was like adventures... challenges. Some of the tests weren't that great... sharing clothes??? Not godly. Studying for a test??? I suppose I wanted more of a true to mythology book. I have enjoyed mythology though toned-down. Did anyone watch the animated Disney Hercules movie or show that come on the Disney channel? That was obviously toned down by I still really enjoyed it. Or even Percy Jackson series is a young adult re-telling of myths.

Whitney I was struggling trying to figure out which people were which gods in a lot of cases at the end. We already knew Henry was Hades, and it was obvious that Kate's mother was Demeter. It's no surprise, either, that Ava was Aphrodite and Irene was Athena.

I do have a major problem with Calliope as Hera. Hera is married to Zeus (Walter, in this book)! Even though this book said that their relationships aren't the brother-sister, father-daughter family as Greek mythology teaches us, I assumed Hera would still hold herself out as married to Zeus. Therefore, it would really be of no import that Henry/Hades did not want to pick Calliope/Hera as his wife--because he could not have chosen her! Plus, according to Greek mythology, Hera is very loyal to Zeus, despite his own philandering ways. I don't think she's leaving him for Hades. I assumed (before reading the list at the end) that Sofia would be Hera and Calliope would be Hestia. People are always overlooking the goddess of the hearth, so maybe Hades would, as well. There are problems with this interpretation--like the fact that Hestia doesn't really ever leave the hearth and the fact that, out of the two, Hera is the more jealous/crazy type. Nevertheless, Hera is so aligned with Zeus (she's the Queen of the Gods!!) that I can't picture her with Hades.

Soso K (soso28) | 2 comments Grace wrote: "Grace wrote: "Maybe I'll find the answers to these questions by the time I get to the end of the book."

Replying to my own post - yes, my questions were answered at the end - at least most of them..."

Replying to you replying to your own post- Lol nice :D By the way, did you like the book?

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments So wrote: "By the way, did you like the book?"

Not really. It's not up to the quality of most of the other books I've been reading lately.

It was a light read but I didn't have high expectations - fortunately - and my expectations were met. There seemed to be a lot of holes - things made up on the spot to explain something and lots of contradictions.

I'm definitely a snob when it comes to books published by Harlequin. They're formulaic, they follow a definite progression, there's very little character development and you can be sure the author spent the minimum amount of time researching background for the bookk - assuming any research was done.

ɯɐɔ (camalama) I didn't completely grasp the general idea of the 7 sins with Greek mythology...two different civilizations with two different idols. I did, however (as twisted as this sounds), thought the aphrodisiac part was funny and scary. I read this book while in a hospital—I guess I went a little paranoid!