Trail of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #5) Trail of the Spellmans discussion

ENDING! *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 01, 2012 11:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer Who else is extremely upset about Henry & Izzy?!?!?!?!
I understand books have to keep suspense and drama going but after four books of this drama they finally got together and then broke up the next book! That just really pissed me off! Okay I just needed to rant. Thanks! LOL And I'm sure others will be upset by this. Maybe in the next book Izzy will be ready for kids? I mean I can't blame her for not wanting them since I'm a female that doesn't really want any either but I just hate that the relationship I waited years to happen fell apart so fast. Also I don't really remember Henry ever saying he wanted kids before this. I think I'll pretend book 4 was the end. I was so excited for this and now I wish it ended with book 4 :-( It had a great ending.

message 2: by Licia (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Licia I'm never affected by a book like this. I was totally bummed about Isabel and Henry. I didn't really want to read after that. Do you think that the brief ending convo. at the bar (i.e. talking about Bernie and Gerty) was a possible opening, even though after Henry spent the night she said they kept their promise? They cannot end this way.

I didn't like that there was no Henry and Rae communication at all. It was odd.

Will there be another book so that we can hold on to hope? I hope we don't have to wait another 2 years.

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 02, 2012 12:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer Me too! I was DEVASTATED!!! by this! I could barely continue reading. I skipped some of the mystery stuff to see the end. Major disappointment! The brief ending I kind of felt like could be an opening but after they slept together for the last time Izzy said that was the last time I cried over Henry and we kept our promise or whatever. She also said she didn't know if in the future she would be waking up with anyone but that it definitely wouldn't be Henry!!!!!!! *TEARS* So I felt like she NAILED the damn nails in the coffin!!! Uhhhhh! Seriously I didn't eat dinner last night after this. I was that angry!!! I might as well have slapped myself in the face with my first 4 hardcover books because that is what I feel like this book did to me!!!! All that work they did to finally get together and that she felt like she was kissing Husband #1 and then they breakup! WTF!!!!!!!!!

I also didn't like that there was no Henry & Rae communication. Yes I realize she is grown up and in college but they had nothing?!?!

Also the author I'm pretty sure said she will be continuing the series. So I think there will be another book but yeah not sure how long a wait. Probably 2 years again. TWO years of waiting to be disappointed. I don't know if I want to read anymore. If in the next book Henry has kids with some other woman I'll be damn pissed off!!!!!!!!

Licia Jennifer wrote: "Me too! I was DEVASTATED!!! by this! I could barely continue reading. I skipped some of the mystery stuff to see the end. Major disappointment! The brief ending I kind of felt like could be an open..."

I'll quit the series if Henry has kids with someone else by the next book. The whole him wanting kids thing seemed to come out of left field anyway.

I had a slight bit of hope at the end for the two of them at the bar, considering she all but put the nails in the coffin after they slept together.

message 5: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 02, 2012 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer Licia wrote: "I'll quit the series if Henry has kids with someone else by the next book. The whole him wanting kids thing seemed to come out of left field anyway.

I had a slight bit of hope at the end for the two of them at the bar, considering she all but put the nails in the coffin after they slept together. "

Yeah when Henry and Izzy got together last book I didn't even think they would have kids. I figured they would get married and that's it. Never remember him speaking of kids. I'd re-read the books again to check but I'm really out of the mood now. Yup definitely not pre-ordering the next one. I'll wait read some spoilers and see first. I threw this book on the very top of my bookcase cause just seeing the cover makes me want to throw up. If things turn around then I'll read the next one. Really sad because I was such a HUGE fan of the series.

Shannon As much as I love them and as devastated I was that they split, I think it was a well-written break up and very realistic for the two characters. I can't say I'm surprised that Henry turned out to be the family-type who'd want kids. And I'm extremely glad the author didn't end it with Izzy being "oh, I want kids now" and I really really hope it doesn't turn out that way in the next books. I'd rather have either Henry change his mind or them just not end up together (as sad as that is).

RachelAnne I was also very disappointed in the lack of Henry-Rae involvement, and, OF COURSE, the break-up. I can sort of see Henry wanting kids in part because he was so good with Rae, but I didn't think that he would. Particularly, it seems strange that he would be surprised that Izzy doesn't want kids.

Sure, the break-up was well and believably written. Let's face it, though: I don't read these books for the believable, sad, grimy bits of life like the break-ups of good romances. I read them for humor, adventure and escape FROM all the grime of ordinariness.

And no, I won't keep reading if Henry has kids with someone else. I think it'd be better for him to decide it's not worth living without her. Then, independent of the pressure of luring him back, she can change her mind or not on whether she wants kids in a few years.

Sandi Yep, I agree; without the Henry and Rae interaction of books past, there was very little "fun" in this latest book.

I knew Izzy and Henry couldn't have an easy relationship, but to end it? It won't be believable if Izzy suddenly grows up---I get that---but to have her totally avoid it?

I loved Henry in the past books for learning to do things the Spellman way (like when he stole Izzy's keys so she couldn't avoid talking to him in the bar); it showed he was evolving a sneaky, fun side. Why can't Izzy evolve a bit, too?

And Rae suddenly losing her mischievousness? Becoming literally a tree hugger as a way to get Fred back? He's another character that showed promise in the last book but really went nowhere in the new book.

And I want Len and Christopher back!

I think I've said enough; what a sad disappointment this fifth installment was.

Redeem yourself, Lisa, with a terrific sixth book. PLEASE!

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 07, 2012 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer RachelAnne wrote: "Sure, the break-up was well and believably written. Let's face it, though: I don't read these books for the believable, sad, grimy bits of life like the break-ups of good romances. I read them for humor, adventure and escape FROM all the grime of ordinariness.

And no, I won't keep reading if Henry has kids with someone else. I think it'd be better for him to decide it's not worth living without her. Then, independent of the pressure of luring him back, she can change her mind or not on whether she wants kids in a few years. "

Yes exactly this! I never said that the breakup wasn't well written. Lisa Lutz is still a genius but I found it TOTALLY UNNECESSARY and a slap in the face to fans! I don't read this series for depression. It was always my go to fun read for a great laugh! Yes there is still a few serious things to keep the emotions intense but I was looking forward to so much more between Izzy and Henry. Plus I felt like the four previous books were all leading us to Izzy and Henry getting married. She pictured kissing Husband #1 for the first time in her life to only just break up the next book. I guess 2 years did pass but I wish so much time didn't pass in the book world because I wanted more of them together.

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 07, 2012 04:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer Sandi wrote: "I knew Izzy and Henry couldn't have an easy relationship, but to end it? It won't be believable if Izzy suddenly grows up---I get that---but to have her totally avoid it?

I loved Henry in the past books for learning to do things the Spellman way (like when he stole Izzy's keys so she couldn't avoid talking to him in the bar); it showed he was evolving a sneaky, fun side. Why can't Izzy evolve a bit, too?"

Yes I loved Henry changing and I was hoping to see more of his fun Spellman side in this book. I wanted to see him and Izzy as a team but it ended so quickly. All over kids! And like RachelAnne said you would think Henry would have known from the beginning Izzy didn't want kids. I thought this whole time he was cool with it. He never mentions kids. Anyway this book was just missing something and then to top it all off the breakup just really ruined my enjoyment. And I really can't keep reading if Henry has kids with someone else. I'll barf!

Carole (Carole's Random Life) Well....I would not say that I have given up on the series. That being said I was very disappointed to the lack of Henry in this book. I miss the interactions of Henry and Rae. I miss Rae in this book as well. There was very little of Rae and no Henry/Rae. I was not happy when Henry and Izzy broke...How can they break up when they just FINALLY got together??!!?! Even though the break up seemed very final, maybe things can work out in the next book. I still enjoyed the book and gave it a good rating but I just wish Henry would have been handled differently.

message 12: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 08, 2012 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer Carole wrote: "How can they break up when they just FINALLY got together??!!?! Even though the break up seemed very final, maybe things can work out in the next book. I still enjoyed the book and gave it a good rating but I just wish Henry would have been handled differently. "

Yes I agree with all of this. I was very disappointed with the lack of any fun Henry scenes. I might not be completely done. I still have hope that maybe by the next book they will work it out. But it did seem final. Henry seems to want a family and is putting a lot of pressure on his age so I'm assuming he is going to try to do that really soon. And that I won't keep reading. I don't want to hear about him and his new family when I was looking forward to him as a part of the Spellman family.

Rebecca I am really disappointed to. especially with the ending of the last book (husband #1?!?!) so I really hope that they do get back together because the whole relationship was built up so slowly and it was written as if they were perfect for each other (although both are far from perfect) so this is very disappointing. I liked the book but The break up really took away from the story- I didn't care about the mysteries once they broke up- I was too sad.

RachelAnne It seemed like Henry & Izzy knew and accepted one another as they were--even the bits of each person's personality that drove the other one batty. I loved it at the end of Document #4, when she referred to him as "husband #1." At the beginning of this book, he was first mentioned as "Ex-boyfriend #13, and I thought "Uh-oh."

I do think that Izzy has continued to mature, however. She was evading Henry on one (OK, 2) key issue(s), but she neither rushed into an ill-considered engagement nor ran away never to return. There's something to be said for having really thought through her response to Henry, even if largely she just wanted to procrastinate the inevitable.

Izzy faced a series of ethical decisions related to her work, which she settled according to her own moral compass, sometimes after a considered delay. Again, she's become less impulsive, more self-reliant and confident. At the end, she risked a great deal, both personally and professionally in order to break the Chinese Wall, because she knew it was the right thing to do.

I think a lot of Henry has rubbed off on her. Maybe in the next book, Henry will have a MLFO and show more of his Izzy-side, then stop being all stupid. That would be good.

Also, as Sandi said, I missed Len & Christopher. BRING THEM BACK!

Sandi RachelAnne wrote: "It seemed like Henry & Izzy knew and accepted one another as they were--even the bits of each person's personality that drove the other one batty. I loved it at the end of Document #4, when she ref..."

I hope there will be a MLFO or something to bring Henry and Izzy back together. Maybe Al and Olivia will live abroad, putting Izzy in charge of Rae as the two daughters try to keep the business alive. That'll give Henry an opportunity to come back into Izzy's life, and stay there, where he belongs.

The last thing I want is some "happily-ever-after let's get married, have kids, and lose ourselves as we raise them" scenario for Izzy and Henry. But I do want them to find happiness together. Let Rae bring them together!

Jennifer Sandi wrote: "RachelAnne wrote: "It seemed like Henry & Izzy knew and accepted one another as they were--even the bits of each person's personality that drove the other one batty. I loved it at the end of Docume..."

Yes exactly, I don't except picket fences but just a nice fun dysfunctional but sweet marriage! I loved them as a team! Like one of my all time favorite scenes of them together was when they teamed up against Rae when she was stealing Izzy's car. When they tried to give her a flat tire and siphon all her gas. I was LMAO! I want more of that!

RachelAnne Jennifer wrote: one of my all time favorite scenes of them together was when they teamed up against Rae when she was stealing Izzy's car. When they tried to give her a flat tire and siphon all her gas. I was LMAO! I want more of that!
YES!!!

Sandi Jennifer, and RachelAnne, I agree with you 100%. Henry and Izzy made a perfectly flawed, fabulous couple. Those scenes were to die for!

Lisa Lutz, bring back the mayhem that was Izzy and Henry!!!

Reenie I am about 1/2way through and came to the part where Izzy moved out. I tooam disappointed - but will probably continue to read with the slight chance things will work out! Last few books I have read seem to follow this theme.

message 20: by Katie (last edited Apr 01, 2012 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katie I just think the book was a lazy way to make more money. The silly book Heads You Lose that she wrote with her ex-boyfriend, after the 4th Spellman novel, was painful to read.

The fourth Spellman book ended on a "good-bye, readers" note, and the return felt shoddily put together. The characters barely resembled themselves.

I wasn't that invested in the romance aspect, but the way their break-up was written was a joke. Really? They never discussed children? Henry is almost 50, and is just bringing this up?

I doubt I'll return to the Spellman franchise. I already had my doubts after wasting my time with Heads You Lose, and this 5th Spellman book sealed the coffin.

Reenie Katie -I agree. The breakup just came out without any background. She could have Levi it out since Henry did not even figure in the plot. Heads You Lose just annoyed me the whole time I read it. A at least I got it from the library rather than buying it.

Rebecca Katie wrote: "I just think the book was a lazy way to make more money. The silly book Heads You Lose that she wrote with her ex-boyfriend, after the 4th Spellman novel, was painful to read.

The f..."

That's exactly what I was thinking as I read it- NOW he wants children?

message 23: by Wynn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wynn This book seemed to have an overall theme of change and getting older. Henry and Izzy breakup – really? I understand he is 48, but that’s hardly old man territory. Plus, he wants kids NOW? He should have thought about that 20 years earlier. He seemed so sullen. (Prozac in the next book?) Then Lutz had to throw in the rich client with Alzheimer’s. YAY! Al is pushing 70 and Izzy reminds him he is not getting any younger & someday she will be the only one running the Spellman family business. Rae is 21 and doesn’t see the business in her future. Also, how could Rae forget about how obsessed she once was with Henry? Rae’s tree sitting crime was a perfect opportunity for a “Rae extraction” for Henry. Plus, Rae should have gone to Henry and harassed him about breaking up with her sister. Despite all this I still laughed quite a bit.

Jennifer Rebecca wrote: "That's exactly what I was thinking as I read it- NOW he wants children?"

Same here! I figured he has been friends with Izzy for years now he already knows she doesn't want children! All of sudden it's an ultimatum?! LAME!

message 25: by Dave (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dave Didn't really mind the breakup of the characters, but this book was sorely lacking in the wit and humor that made the first 4 so fun.

Jennifer Dave wrote: "Didn't really mind the breakup of the characters, but this book was sorely lacking in the wit and humor that made the first 4 so fun."

I agree. I didn't feel like the characters had their usual chemistry and hilarious interactions.

message 27: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth I agree the 5th file was lacking. My problem is none of the recurring characters are happy. Not one of them. Hard to find humor there.

Kathryn Moore I was. Henry is great and Izzy needs to get a clue. . .finally.

Karen I, too, was bummed by the break-up of Henry and Izzy. After one of the most romantic (and sexy) scenes I've read (Henry kissing Izzy in the middle of the night in The Spellmans Strike Again), I had hopes of a long, if not dysfunctional, relationship. I realize that Henry (as the adult) would want to move forward, but kids seemed like a big jump from just getting together---and, as others mentioned, he knew what he was in for having known Izzy and her family for as long as he did.

I'm hoping the break-up was book 5 only and she and Henry will find their way back to one another at some point and that it's not a way to hook her up with Schmidt (who, hopefully, knows better!).

Ruth wrote: "My problem is none of the recurring characters are happy. Not one of them. Hard to find humor there."

Though I found humor in the book, I have to agree. When I started the series, I didn't particularly like many of the characters. There was something sad about all of them. I stuck with it because of the writing, which was clever and humorous, and because I did like Izzy. Each book was better than the last until this one. Though I liked it, I think the fourth was better.

That said, I look forward to more installments, with or without an Izzy and Henry romance (though more so with!).

message 30: by Cheyenne (last edited Jul 25, 2012 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheyenne Lol. I saw this discussion and I thought that it would be about how Izzy ruthlessly took over the family business so all these comments about Izzy and Henry breaking up are really funny to me.

I admit, though, that I don't have as much invested in the characters as everyone else having actually started the series with Document #5(why? momentary insanity perhaps). I had read Heads You Lose before that and I thought it was hilarious so when I came across Trail of the Spellmans in the New Fiction section at the library, I thought I'd give it a try.

I enjoyed this family so much that I went back and started with Document #1. I should be done with the third one soon and then on the fourth, which everyone seems to be really excited about. I'm looking forward to it too, even though I know what will eventually happen.

Reading these in order, however, I have to say that I don't think Izzy and Henry are truly over. There's no one else that can handle her kind of crazy.

message 31: by Moonlight (last edited Jul 26, 2012 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Moonlight After I finished the 4th document, I thought a lot of the continuing plot lines had been resolved. Lisa Lutz could have concluded the series right then if she had wished. That means that document #5 would be a transition and those are often a bit less exciting. But it did set up a couple of open story lines for the next installment. We all missed Henry. And now the elder Spellmans have the chance to take their revenge on Isabel for her teenage years. The next generation of Spellmans is about to enter their terrible twos! Isabel is going to have her hands full.

message 32: by Deborah (last edited Aug 03, 2012 09:06AM) (new)

Deborah I agree with much of what many have said (?!) However, I am 2/3 of the way through "Trail" so my comments are on what I know. Admittedly though, I forced a colleague who has read the entire book to tell me whether Henry and Isabelle break up (so I could decide whether to continue reading or not) and my opinion of this is one of my comments below.

This fifth book definitely feels like it wasn't planned. I think the author was tired of the series, ended it quite nicely, tried something else that flopped (the other book) and then wrote another Spellman book for the money.

I also have found the fifth book to be funny but much darker than the previous ones. No one is happy and so the book, while funny, is depressing.

I (like so many others) also wondered how Rae and Henry could no longer have anything to do with each other. At a minimum this should have been explained, something big must have happened.

Finally, WTF with breaking up Henry and Isabelle? It took 4 books to get them together!! To me this is the lazy way out. Of course Isabelle has difficulty sustaining a relationship. So it would be much more difficult to write about her struggles to maintain one. It would be more challenging and creative to find a way to keep the character true while pursuing an adult relationship. And the children thing, just a lazy writer's excuse rather than have to come up with a complex reason to break them up having to do with their personalities etc. The least she could have done, if she was going to break them up, is to do it in a realistic manner. This feels like the author is saying I can't be bothered with thinking up a plausible reason for them to break up,I'll just use something quick and easy. Then I can keep writing Isabelle the same way I have been and I don't have to work that hard.

I am still interested in the other plot lines (although everyone is miserable) but I am so disgusted by the break up that I think I will read spoilers to find out how it all comes out.

I'm glad I am not the only one who feels so strongly about this, I was beginning to worry about myself!

Cheyenne Just finished Document #4 so I'm all caught up now. Someone somewhere said that in #5 the Spellmans were entering phase II and I have to agree. The thing that strikes me the most about these books is that things are constantly changing. This seems to be represented the most through their relationships. They're either meeting someone new, moving to the next level, or moving on entirely. Even Isabel is not immune.

That being said, Document #5 followed the same vein. Although it is weird that Henry, who supposedly accepts Izzy as she is, would expect her to want children now. There's nothing to suggest that she's even remotely fond of them. I also think it's funny that Henry is essentially dating his mom. It makes a lot of sense actually and I think it adds another dimension to his original resistance to Izzy. It can also be seen as a factor in their ultimate break-up.

Before I said that I don't think Henry and Izzy are over (hey, he's changed his mind before). After completing the series, however, I can see the series progressing without an Izzy/Henry arc. I'm not saying that I want to. I really want them back together, but from the beginning their relationship didn't make a lot of sense. I mean I know what Izzy gets out of it but what does Henry get? A crazy suspicious woman with her crazy suspicious family? Who would want that? Unless that person is also crazy? If there's any hope for a reunion, that is where it lies.

Let's hope #6 brings more craziness.

Karen Cheyenne wrote: "I also think it's funny that Henry is essentially dating his mom. It makes a lot of sense actually and I think it adds another dimension to his original resistance to Izzy. It can also be seen as a factor in their ultimate break-up."

Good one. I saw that they were alike, but didn't see that.

Cheyenne wrote: "I mean I know what Izzy gets out of it but what does Henry get? "

First, you can't help with whom you fall in love, you can only control your reaction to those feelings. So, he gets to be with the woman he loves and to see sides of her she doesn't share with others, including her family. Second, what Henry gets out of it is excitement---exasperating as it can be. He gets pulled out of his OCD tidiness. He gets someone who "gets" him and accepts him as he is, even if she sort of takes advantage of his homemaking skills (though, she's changed a bit since they got together too).

I prefer they overcome the constant obstacles and get back together, but I, too, can continue the series with good friends Henry/Izzy. He could be her new Morty.

Jennifer Deborah wrote: "I'm glad I am not the only one who feels so strongly about this, I was beginning to worry about myself!"

I knew people invested in the series had to be pissed. I mean it was a loooong journey and then we didn't get anything out of it!!!! I was very much looking forward to this new chapter in Izzy's life and to see something different. To see Izzy and Henry as a team. I'm still so pissed about this!

Jennifer Karen wrote: "First, you can't help with whom you fall in love, you can only control your reaction to those feelings. So, he gets to be with the woman he loves and to see sides of her she doesn't share with others, including her family. Second, what Henry gets out of it is excitement---exasperating as it can be. He gets pulled out of his OCD tidiness. He gets someone who "gets" him and accepts him as he is, even if she sort of takes advantage of his homemaking skills (though, she's changed a bit since they got together too).
"

Exactly, opposites can be good for each other. I feel like Izzy brings out the fun carefree side of Henry. They have so much fun together. And Izzy just gets Henry. He is a great guy but he has his issues too. Like Maggie could not stand him and was telling Izzy everything she hated about him but Izzy loved all those things about Henry. I think they both get a lot out of the relationship and this kid thing is just dumb. :-/

Paula Froelich Jennifer wrote: "Who else is extremely upset about Henry & Izzy?!?!?!?!
I understand books have to keep suspense and drama going but after four books of this drama they finally got together and then broke up the ne..."

Im right there with you... this book - especially the ending - just depressed me. And I was kind of furious about that. I love the series, but the last two books have gone a a little downhill for me.

Paula Froelich Jennifer wrote: "Deborah wrote: "I'm glad I am not the only one who feels so strongly about this, I was beginning to worry about myself!"

I knew people invested in the series had to be pissed. I mean it was a looo..."

THIS!! EXACTLY!!!

Maryam Man, I too missed the interactions between Rae and Henry. I know she is getting older and they kind of implied that after they got together rae backed off but it really dampered things. i couldn't get into the mysteries simply because Henry was just so absent. Even at the start of the fourth book when Izzy was avoiding Henry there was some sort of communication between them. Henry gives up that easily?
It might be that Izzy will have to be the one that steps to the plate , just like Henry did last book. Maybe not by having kids but by assuring him they have a future. I dunno... it seems weird to break up a relationship that has been building for four books so abruptly. I feel a bit cheated because we didn't even see their relationship evolve a couple, I would have liked to have seen what their two year relationship was like. I also find it weird that Maggie has no say about the whole thing- she did date henry seriously after all and would have some advice- and I am surprised none of the family are trying for her butt in more.

I don't know I was so disappointed in this book.

Maryam To be fair I want to pretend this book never happened. That it just ended with book number four. Why can't they just be happy? For once why can't Izzy have a stable relationship?
It did seem final but then things might change right? Then I remember how petra and david never really got back together and she sort of became almost non existent and that makes me sad too because I really would hate to see henry stone out of the books forever, it feels like death a bit.
That scene in the end when they said goodbye really bummed me out. Seriously is there any hope?

Jennifer Maybe there is hope?! I don't know :-( It is just so maddening that after everything I didn't get to see them as a couple at all.

Maryam I just don't get how the author can get so contradictory. Yes, things change... so she thinks he is now x boyfriend material... and she wanted to prove this by unraveling/ changing the dynamic of friends and family. Henry and Rae are no longer the same, David is changed, so are the parents.
On a sidenote why spend a whole book begging to get Izzy the business and all of a sudden she is fired? Isn't she supposed to take over the business?
I think in the end when Henry and Izzy are watching Gerty and Bernie she says something like " Well if they can make it work..."
So I don't know, I am hoping that if she changed now things might change again. It wouldn't make sense to build things up only to break them apart so much. It's stupid how invested one gets but i guess I read three books back to back in three days ... I need to just step out of this world for now :) I too am prob going to read spoilers for the next book and make up my mind whether I want to read it.

message 43: by Jeannie (last edited Feb 15, 2013 04:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeannie it would be funny to find out Henry is sterile and CAN'T father kids and want to get back with Izzy and then for Izzy to meet someone else (how about a widower who already has several) who makes her change her mind about having one. None of the latter books had me laughing out loud like the first.

message 44: by Jennifer (last edited May 29, 2013 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer Well I've already been checking out some spoilers for the next book deciding if I want to read it or not and I heard some interesting things.

(view spoiler)

Jacqueline Jennifer wrote: "Well I've already been checking out some spoilers for the next book deciding if I want to read it or not and I heard some interesting things.

[spoilers removed]"

I wouldn't donate them to the library. Don't let one book ruin the rest for you. Just throw out that one :p There are MANY interactions with Izzy and Henry in the next book and some people have mixed feelings about it. See how you feel. However, it is not confirmed that the POV will change, meaning if Lisa Lutz writes at least one more with Izzy, there is still hope for the two. And even if Rae takes over the books, there is still a chance. Because Izzy is her sister and despite their lack of communication recently, Henry is still an important part of her life. So who knows, maybe in her perspective, she gets them together.

message 46: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 23, 2013 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer I don't think there is any chance after the next book

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth Do you recommend reading the last one?

Jacqueline Jennifer wrote: "I don't think there is any chance after the next book

[spoilers removed]"

Oh, gosh... well I just spoiled it for myself and I'm not sure I want to read it anymore ._.

Maryam Blech. What a bummer. Seriuosly lisa lutz way to go off on a low note. I mean this is meant to be campy and the girl just has no way to be happy like ever????

Jacqueline I feel like I just want to pretend the series ended with the fourth book (although I most enjoyed the youngest spellman in the 5th). Izzy had grown so much as a character with her progress with Henry... Seeing him as "husband #1"... And Rae was terribly portrayed then too. (Not to mention her absence in friendship with Henry) Every good thing just all thrown away. A good relationship gone to waste and izzy really just doesn't seem to catch a break.

« previous 1