Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > LizH's Feb. Reads

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Another above and beyond month...but I know my reading slump will come in April or May, so I am just preparing!

Most reads were 4/5 stars, thanks for for the Shelby recommendation. Wish there were more. Still working on Rosenfeldt, JD Robb is always a great read and had to throw in a chick book and a sexy book to round out the choices.

10. Sudden Death by David Rosenfelt 2-3-12
11. The Summer Garden by Sherryl Woods 2-4-12
12. The Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah 2-9-12
13. Killer Swell by Jeff Shelby 2-12-12
14. Wicked Break by Jeff Shelby 2-14-12
15. Liquid Smoke by Jeff Shelby 2-17-12
16. Behind Closed Doors by Shannon McKenna 2-22-12
17. Celebrity in Death by J.D. Robb 2-26-12

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Great month, Liz! I wish I had time to try out the Jeff Shelby books too!

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments 13. Killer Swell by Jeff Shelby 2-12-12

Liz, Shelby does keep things moving, doesn't he? Including Noah's mouth.

message 4: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Daniel, I am now reading his stand alone Thread of Hope which just as good.This mc does not have the mouth that Noah does, but he does have the "endure no bs from anyone" gene. He is the author of recommendation for me right now.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments I didn't know that Shelby had a stand alone...adding to my list. I love the Noah Braddock series, and Liquid Smoke left me speechless. I'm working my way through the Andy Carpender series too (Rosenfelt)...actually fell asleep last night with 20 page left in Dog Tags, so thats my first finish for March!

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Liz, I can't find Thread of Hope...are you reading an advanced copy?

message 7: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Dawn, got it on Amazon...down loaded to my Kindle...and yes, I know what you mean by speechless in Liquid Smoke. Can't believe Shelby did what he did. Takes guts.

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments LizH wrote: "Dawn, got it on Amazon...down loaded to my Kindle...and yes, I know what you mean by speechless in Liquid Smoke. Can't believe Shelby did what he did. Takes guts."

LIQUID SMOKE was on my 2011 Best Reads list. Thought the ending was stellar. I communicated with Shelby here on GR and he told me there will be another Noah book late this year. I was really hoping there would be another to see what might happen after all that. I'll have to check out the standalone. And for anyone who might be interested, he just started a series under the name Jeffrey Allen. It tends toward the cozy side. The first book is Stay at Home Dead by Jeffrey Allen and I thought it was very good. Lots of humor in it and some quirky characters.

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Sigh, more books added to the list.

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments 3 numbers per book. Would that be Taste, Readability and Cover Art? I suspect with a grade of "2" none of the books tasted very good, but they seemed to get more readable as the month went on.

message 11: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Daniel wrote: "Sigh, more books added to the list."

My thoughts exactly. Oh well, what's a few more?

message 12: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Great month Liz! I loved all the Shelby books ;)

message 13: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Dawn wrote: "Liz, I can't find Thread of Hope...are you reading an advanced copy?"

It's Kindle only, so I downloaded it to my computer app.

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Thanks! Ordered it!

message 15: by Ann (last edited Mar 02, 2012 08:33PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments oh boy, Thanks Liz! Thread of Hope is a free Prime lending title too! I wish I had borrowed it Wednesday so I wouldn't have wasted my free book for February. ;) I didn't borrow one last month.
LizH wrote: "Dawn, got it on Amazon...down loaded to my Kindle...and yes, I know what you mean by speechless in Liquid Smoke. Can't believe Shelby did what he did. Takes guts."

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Daniel wrote: "13. Killer Swell by Jeff Shelby 2-12-12

Liz, Shelby does keep things moving, doesn't he? Including Noah's mouth."

I enjoyed the 1st book in the series I really should try and get the other's.

I'm in a reading slump too it's not that I'm not enjoying what I'm reading I'm just not reading enough to get anything finished this month. it's going to be a push to get in 150 books read this year with the first 3 months with low book counts. I'm hoping next week when I have to go down the shore for something I'll go to the bookstore since I'll be 2 doors down from it when I have to go to the bank. I'm going to try and visit a few of my favorite things while I'm down there the bookstore then jessie's right next door if she's open (she has crazy hours and seems to show up whenever she wants and I never got there last summer) then to spikes for my open faced lobster melt sandwich. then to the house and hopefully get some good walking in and picture taking. we aren't going to have any freaky weather like rain or snow when I have to go or I'll be very upset.

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments DJ: The freaky weather around here is the summer-time temps! I must say it was one of the prettiest first days of spring I can recently recall. Hope you get in some good walking and reading amid sunny warm weather - if it is going to be warm, it might as well be when convenient! :)
Donnajo wrote: "we aren't going to have any freaky weather like rain or snow when I have to go or I'll be very upset. "

message 18: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Last week we had beautiful spring weather with gorgeous sunshine and 70-80 degree temps. This week my kids have spring break and it has been in the 50's and rainy everyday.

So far my book totals have stayed up, which is good, and I could be headed for an all time high. However, I know that book slump is coming...

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments My reading of print books is down but my listening is steamrolling along. Helped by my new gym regiment... 2 miles on the treadmill. Watch out!

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Good for you, Carol! My car listening is the backbone of my reading right now, not as much print for me either. Sometimes I miss it, other times, happy with the pace of my audio books.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "My reading of print books is down but my listening is steamrolling along. Helped by my new gym regiment... 2 miles on the treadmill. Watch out!"

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Sorry about the weather shift Liz! I am looking at something similar over the next few days with rain while I am taking a couple of days off. The lack of a commute will seriously dent my audio book time.
LizH wrote: "Last week we had beautiful spring weather with gorgeous sunshine and 70-80 degree temps. This week my kids have spring break and it has been in the 50's and rainy everyday. So far my book totals ..."

message 22: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments I'm wishing for rain at the moment the allergies are killing me. but the neti pot I started using on monday has made me feel alot better. I can almost say I feel my best today. I was enjoying the walking at the shore so much when I was down there before easter then got hit on the saturday with the allergies and now I kind of want to hold off on the walking for the time being.

message 23: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments My son has terrible allergies, but luckily I have been spared.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stay At Home Dead (other topics)
Thread of Hope (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jeff Shelby (other topics)