Reader's Ink discussion

Hottest Dishes Tartar Cuisine > 3. Rosa and Sulfia

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
Thought about that relationship a ton while reading. As stated earlier, still have some to go, but what I've read makes me wonder if she could have a mental disability, perhaps ADD or ADHD issues, yet there are times she seems quite bright. To have her become a successful nurse was something I thought really impressive as she had something she could do to bring an income to take care of her family. Rosa I felt, compared herself to her daughter. She thought she was the most beautiful, had the prettiest legs, young beyond her years, and Sulfia was kind of a dump. That's the way I see it.

message 2: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments Rosa is a Narcisist of the worst type...no one can measure up to her own expectations or abilities. Poor Sulfia never had a chance from the moment she was born. In many senses the criticisms are a self fullfilling profecy. Rosa was soo hard on Sulfia her whole life she beat her down and ruined any chance that Sulfia had of becoming a stable and confident woman her mother could be proud of. Rosa in essence created her own worst nightmare in Sulfia by her constant abuse.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
I don't think Sulfia was stupid. I think Rosa is SUCH a (delightfully) unreliable narrator that we only get to see Rosa's effed-up view of her. I mean, even when Aminat is rising to fame with her voice, Rosa is dumb-founded because she thinks she hits the notes all wrong--and she's peeved that Aminat doesn't mention her!

I think the distortion of Sulfia is one of the most brilliant parts of this book. I mean, Bronsky gets us to the point that although we think Rosa is a nut, we actually buy into her view of Sulfia. I know I did!

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I did too, Ashley!

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments Me too! Only later, when Sulfia managed to get a good job in the healthcare field, and then give up her family after Rosas suicide attempt, did I begin to see her much differently.

message 6: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments I agree with Ashley and Julie. When Rosa mentioned Sulfia's job as a nurse, I realized that she had clearly been portraying Sulfia in a much different way than who she really was.

I wish Sulfia had been strong enough to stand up to Rosa though. She was not a stupid person, as Rosa would have us believe. But she was weak. She allowed Rosa to control her and Aminant. She should have never stood for Aminant being taken from her.

She also stayed during Rosa's bogus suicide attempt. I wish she had left, and taken Aminant with her. Instead, she lost another husband and her baby!

I think Sulfia finally showed some strength when she went home to take care of her dad. Unfortunately, by that point, her body was too weak to do much else anyway, so maybe that wasn't standing up to her mother anyway.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments I HAVE A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH ROSA. AS MOST PARENTS DO, ROSA LIVES VICARIOUSLY THROUGH HER DAUGHTER, AND SULFIA WILL NEVER MEASURE UP TO HER OWN SKEWED VISION OF ROSA'S OWN ATTRIBUTES. AS FAR AS STANDING UP TO ROSA, WHAT GOOD WOULD THAT HAVE DONE? ROSA HAS MANAGED TO SECURE A PLACE FOR HERSELF USING WHAT WORKS FOR HER, HER LOOKS AND HER ABILITIES TO ORGANIZE EVERYTHING. SHE REFUSED TO SEE THAT SULFIA IS NOT HERSELF REINCARNATED, AND THERE LIES THE PROBLEM. IN ROSA'S SEARCH FOR SECURITY FOR HER DAUGHTER INDEPENDENT OF A MAN, SHE IRONICALLY SEARCHES FOR A MAN FOR SULFIA. ROSA IS CERTAINLY CAPABLE OF SURVIVING QUITE WELL WITHOUT A MAN, YET SHE STILL MUST HAVE ONE AROUND "JUST IN CASE." WHY DOES SHE NEVER DIVORCE HER USELESS, SPINELESS HUSBAND? SHE CAN'T!! FROM HER PERSPECTIVE, NO MATTER HOW SUCCESSFUL SHE BECOMES ON HER OWN, SHE IS STILL NOTHING WITHOUT A MAN. PERHAPS THIS IS GENERATIONAL. IF YOUR PARENTS GOT MARRIED IN THE '50'S OR BEFORE, HOW MANY GOT DIVORCED? MINE DIDN'T. I GOT MARRIED THE FIRST TIME BECAUSE I THOUGHT I WAS IN LOVE AND THAT NO ONE ELSE WOULD EVER ASK ME. WHO DOES THAT? EVEN THOUGH ROSA IS BECOMING A "MODERN WOMAN", SHE STILL HANGS ON TO HER PAST AND TRIES TO MOLD HER DAUGHTER ACCORDINGLY TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN BOTH WORLDS. IS ROSA A NUT JOB? ABSOLUTELY! WOULDN'T YOU BE?