This topic is about Full Dark, No Stars
Short Stories & Collections > Big Driver-FDNS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2539 comments Mod
Discuss this story here!

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Dustin (last edited Mar 04, 2012 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin This is, by far, my absolute favorite story in FDNS!
There's just something about it..

Megan  (trixiekitten) | 25 comments Big Driver was fun + creepy. My favorite character was Goober the dog.

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Mar 06, 2012 06:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica | 24 comments This one is my second favourite in the collection. It was pretty shocking (view spoiler)

Diane (LadyDi4476) | 72 comments This was my second favorite and I agree with Jessica completely. That part was very unpleasant to read.

Staci Johnson | 102 comments Finished - what a sick family. Actually it doesn't seem right to even call 'that' a family. Very creepy.

Staci Johnson | 102 comments Just a thought - (view spoiler)

Steve | 247 comments Very unpleasant story, and the constant acknowledgement of Jodie Foster's movie throughout proves that King was coasting here. I didnt like this at all.

Luis | 18 comments My least favorite of the stories and I agree with Agrimorfee's post that King was coasting here. He uses a clichéd plot (rape/revenge) and an even more clichéd character (she's an author, King has used that one one too many times).
I also found the main character's habit of talking to herself quite ridiculous - she makes her cat talk, her GPS also? Is that supposed to be cute? It isn't.
The main character likens herself to Jodie Foster in the movie The Brave One, but she doesn't even come close. Foster's character only took matters into her own hands when the police proved ineffective. The woman in Big Driver, on the other hand, does something incredibly stupid - (view spoiler)

Jessica | 24 comments Luis wrote: "My least favorite of the stories and I agree with Agrimorfee's post that King was coasting here. He uses a clichéd plot (rape/revenge) and an even more clichéd character (she's an author, King has ..."

I see your point, maybe she does go too far, but perhaps that's meant to signify how strong the need for revenge can be. And that traumatic events can send people a bit loopy to the extent where they won't think strait and do the right thing (view spoiler)

Barbara (goodreadscombeebeezee) I'm just getting close to the end of the first story but it reminds me, just a little, of Secret Window. Especially when the main character in Secret Window buries his wife in the corn field. I think dropping the wife down the well is a little less creepy, however. :)

Dustin Agrimorfee wrote: "Very unpleasant story, and the constant acknowledgement of Jodie Foster's movie throughout proves that King was coasting here. I didnt like this at all."

It could just be me, but I don't recall there being a "constant acknowledgment" of Jodie Foster and The Brave One. I know that it's mentioned a couple times toward of the end of the novella, but otherwise, no, I don't think so..
And BTW, the story isn't supposed to be pleasant.

Alondra Miller Dustin wrote: "Agrimorfee wrote: "Very unpleasant story, and the constant acknowledgement of Jodie Foster's movie throughout proves that King was coasting here. I didnt like this at all."

It could just be me, b..."

exactly. it made me uncomfortable and sad for our 'heroine'.. sad that she felt she couldn't trust anyone enough to talk about it or report it. such a devastating act. i dont feel that it was a constant acknowledgement of anything other either. not sure where that came from. It wasn't my favorite out of the book, but it was not the worst.

Jamie | 16 comments I could not wrap my mind around the way the main character chose to handle her situation. I felt that it was a bit of stretch but the story was good nevertheless. I actually felt terrified for her when she was finding her way through the dark. I thought the bad guy was going to jump out at any second. Crazy story.

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Sadly many women who are raped really do try to hide it and handle it without outside support many even block it mentally for years. It really isn't all that far fetched she'd go about handling it this way actually.

Jamie | 16 comments That makes sense to me...I guess what bothered me about it in this case was that there were other victims that were not being reported. By the end it all made better sense but getting through it was a little rough.

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments My least favorite in the collection. Brutal rape scenes are very unpleasant to read, I can stomach almost anything else. This is why I didn't like it. The revenge aspect was interesting, but overall not King's best short, IMO.

Dustin Amanda wrote: "Sadly many women who are raped really do try to hide it and handle it without outside support many even block it mentally for years. It really isn't all that far fetched she'd go about handling it ..."

You are exactly right, Amanda. Thank you.

Gatorman | 561 comments Terrific story. Brutal but effective.

message 20: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I really enjoyed this story!

(view spoiler)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Finished Big Driver over the weekend and thought that it was a very good tale overall. I do agree with the comments that she was stupid not to involve the authorities at all, perhaps it would have made more sense if she would have contacted the police only to have it go nowhere before seeking her revenge. Other than that the only other thing that bothered me about the story was how she referred to other characters by their last name after meeting them. A couple of times I had to check back to see who she was talking about.

As for the comments about the cliche/overused plot and character's profession, that really doesn't bother me. This was a well-written tale and if it happens to contain the over-used rape/revenge plot involving yet another author, so-be-it. That doesn't change the fact that the story and characters were engaging and fit what the author wanted to do with it. How many tales did Sir Arthur Conan Doyle write containing a detective and his accomplice solving mysteries that ended up becoming a series of classic English literature? The subject matter and details of a story matter less than what the author actually does with that subject matter and those details in order to make them his/her own in that particular story.

message 22: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stefan wrote: "Finished Big Driver over the weekend and thought that it was a very good tale overall. I do agree with the comments that she was stupid not to involve the authorities at all, perhaps it would have ..."

I agree.. the characters professions didn't bother me and neither did the over-used plot. I thought it was really well told.

message 23: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Salter | 11 comments this was a great story, just read it this afternoon (couldnt put it down)

I did smile though when Goober the dog appeared

message 24: by Ron (last edited Mar 21, 2012 06:39PM) (new) - added it

Ron | 9 comments What happened to the heroine was horrible--kudos to Stephen King for that. And I enjoyed the unfolding of the investigation and the various personalities. This was really engaging and my favorite story in the collection so far (read second, third, and fourth).

King refers to The Last House on the Left--

(view spoiler)

I foresaw--

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron wrote: "What happened to the heroine was horrible--kudos to Stephen King for that. And I enjoyed the unfolding of the investigation and the various personalities. This was really engaging and my favorite s..."

Sometimes I wonder about the whole rumors that so and so don't get treated well in the prison system. I hear that about serial killers, and child molesters. What exactly does this mean? I am just curious because people say it a lot. And how do we even know about this? Do prisoners come out and say it?

Gatorman | 561 comments Angie wrote: "Ron wrote: "What happened to the heroine was horrible--kudos to Stephen King for that. And I enjoyed the unfolding of the investigation and the various personalities. This was really engaging and m..."

There is a code among prisoners that child murderers and molesters are the lowest of the low and that such offenders are to be treated badly by the other prisoners, which includes beatings and gang rapes. Yes, former prisoners have admitted this goes on but so have prison guards and administrators. It's not just a rumor.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Gatorman wrote: "Angie wrote: "Ron wrote: "What happened to the heroine was horrible--kudos to Stephen King for that. And I enjoyed the unfolding of the investigation and the various personalities. This was really ..."

Especially when it comes to children, many prisoners do NOT look highly upon that, because many of them have children themselves.

message 28: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 25, 2012 04:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments I just finished Big Driver this morning, and WOW..

(view spoiler)

Dustin It all makes PERFECT sense, Kathryn!:)
I also believe that Tess's auditory hallucinations served as defense mechanisms. Indeed, they kept her sane.

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) Stefan wrote: "Finished Big Driver over the weekend and thought that it was a very good tale overall. I do agree with the comments that she was stupid not to involve the authorities at all, perhaps it would have ..."
It is good to note that it matters not what the tells, but how they tell it. There are only so many plots but a good author finds new ways to reveal and tell the story. Stephen King to me is a master at telling the tale. I read him to see how he twists and writes out the heroe's tale.

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) Luis wrote: "My least favorite of the stories and I agree with Agrimorfee's post that King was coasting here. He uses a clichéd plot (rape/revenge) and an even more clichéd character (she's an author, King has ..."

Maybe, we are too see an author, the character here, falling apart mentally. We at first may trust her intentions, she keeps repeating that she is a good person, but then she falls apart in the end.

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) Jamie wrote: but getting through it was a little rough. I agree but this story is about rape and rape is not easy. I think we are supposed to have a tough time of it.

message 33: by Gregory (last edited Mar 26, 2012 05:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) I agree with Dustin I also believe that Tess's auditory hallucinations served as defense mechanisms. Indeed, they kept her sane.

message 34: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew | 124 comments Good revenge story, not as good as Dolan's Cadillac but still very enjoyable

Jonathan | 1 comments I feel like this story was strictly for the purpose of 'shock & awe'. It is meant to make us feel uncomfortable and sick to the stomach. It bothered me to read, but at the same time it was King through and through so i loved it.

Dustin Gregory wrote: "I agree with Dustin I also believe that Tess's auditory hallucinations served as defense mechanisms. Indeed, they kept her sane. "

Thank , Gregory.:)

Dustin Jonathan wrote: "I feel like this story was strictly for the purpose of 'shock & awe'. It is meant to make us feel uncomfortable and sick to the stomach. It bothered me to read, but at the same time it was King thr..."

I think that Big Driver is the type of story that should make the reader uncomfortable...and King does a superb job, IMO.

message 38: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Singleton Dustin wrote: "Agrimorfee wrote: "Very unpleasant story, and the constant acknowledgement of Jodie Foster's movie throughout proves that King was coasting here. I didnt like this at all."

It could just be me, b..."

If you have to mention it at all, you're on thin ice because people will think you're ripping that off. The heroine even watches that movie on DVD, I believe, so, ew.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel embarrassed to say this... but I loved this story

Dustin Josiah wrote: "I feel embarrassed to say this... but I loved this story"

I know exactly what you mean, Josiah. It's my personal favorite of FDNS.

message 41: by Veka (last edited Feb 13, 2014 10:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veka Veks (vekaveks) | 5 comments This story was just crazy.So brutal and so intense that I couldn't put down.
Just thinking book happens somewhere in late 2000's or something like that (because girl had picture of Obama on her desk) so maybe on the end police figure out by forensics who was the killer.
You can't commit perfect murder and get away in this modern age.

Kalvin Ellis (kalvinellis) | 7 comments Veka wrote: "This story was just crazy.So brutal and so intense that I couldn't put down.
Just thinking book happens somewhere in late 2000's or something like that (because girl had picture of Obama on her..."

I was thinking the same thing when I read it the first time.

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott | 88 comments Just saw a movie teaser for Big Driver. Will be on Lifetime, October 18th. Maria Bello, Olympia Dukakis, Joan Jett and Will Harris to star. Google has article from The Hollywood Reporter that also mentions Cell is in post production...Bad Little kid was optioned and a re-adaptation of It!?!

I cant wait.

message 44: by Scott (new)

Scott | 88 comments Just saw a second trailer...I think its going to be good.

message 45: by Veka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veka Veks (vekaveks) | 5 comments Now I really wonder about King.All books I recently read by King has female charachters who had brutal and horrible experiences.I thought Big Driver was just traumatic but tbings happening to female charachters in Under The Dome was much worse.I really thought never again after Big Driver I will never cry again over fictional charachter from book but I did again and probably will again in next book written by Stephen King.

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 508 comments For those in the UK Big driver is on channel 5 on the 30th of December

Reenie (reeniebell) | 166 comments Rhian wrote: "For those in the UK Big driver is on channel 5 on the 30th of December"

Thanks very much, Rhian!

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 508 comments No problem Reenie I'm really looking forward to seeing it

Reenie (reeniebell) | 166 comments Just thought I'd remind everyone in the UK that Big Driver is tonight @ 9pm on Channel 5 (followed by Needful Things, if you want).

(Thanks again Rhiannon for letting us all know)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 508 comments I can't wait to watch them both I haven't seen needful things in years

« previous 1