Full Dark, No Stars
This topic is about Full Dark, No Stars

Comments (showing 1-50 of 55) (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2354 comments Mod
Discuss story here!

(view spoiler)

Jessica | 24 comments I loved this story, it feels very 'Lovecraft'. It's definitely the best one in the whole book :)

message 3: by Phil (new) - added it

Phil Kewley (philkewley) Ho hum with such an in depth spoiler I could skip the first story and start with Big Driver. Sorry guys for sounding so negative but that was not what I was expecting from a group read.

Char Why would you click on a spoiler link if you didn't want to view the spoiler?

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane (RougeAllure) | 65 comments I liked this one although it didn't really scare me, (view spoiler)

Jessica | 24 comments Phil wrote: "Ho hum with such an in depth spoiler I could skip the first story and start with Big Driver. Sorry guys for sounding so negative but that was not what I was expecting from a group read."

Yeah don't click on 'view spoiler' if you don't want the story to be spoilt. You should also have stopped reading it, it was pretty long and was clearly going to give the plot away.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) What did everyone think of the story then? Let's get back on topic please. :)

I personally loved this one, and I think it's one of the best short stories I've read in a long time. The whole tone of the story was just perfect. It was bleak, but it was fantastic. :D

Discussion topic for those who have finished the story - Please mark spoilers in your responses: (view spoiler)

Jessica | 24 comments I love this one as well, it's my favourite novella in the whole book. I kinda think they gradually get worse as each story goes by. (view spoiler)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 868 comments This is, by far, the best novella in "FDNS" - Neil Gaiman wrote that it "was as good as anything King has ever written.... and that's very good indeed."

I love the use of the first person in the story... it adds an immediacy that might otherwise be missing.

Staci Johnson | 97 comments I'm still reading so I didn't read the above posts - I wanted to comment on the writing style of this story.
This style makes me feel like a participant instead of an observer - it's really creeping me out.
I should finish it today then read above posts.

Staci Johnson | 97 comments Becky wrote: "What did everyone think of the story then? Let's get back on topic please. :)

I personally loved this one, and I think it's one of the best short stories I've read in a long time. The whole tone ..."

Becky wrote: "What did everyone think of the story then? Let's get back on topic please. :)

I personally loved this one, and I think it's one of the best short stories I've read in a long time. The whole tone ..."

Becky wrote: "What did everyone think of the story then? Let's get back on topic please. :)

Finished story - this story definitely validates the title of the book. (view spoiler)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 868 comments Why Becky, I've never seen you as repetitious! :)

Megan  (trixieKitten) | 25 comments I liked this story. Hank the son creeped me out for some reason, I would not want to go walking hand in hand with him down *any* farm path. The rats however just made me smile. That's what you get for grwing up with Disney. Rats and mice are cute, I always invision them having secret meetings about what little child to rescue from poachers or a well filled with treasure.

message 14: by Stefan (last edited Mar 05, 2012 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stefan Yates (Stefan31) | 116 comments I finished this one last night. I really enjoyed this story; (view spoiler)

All in all a good start to the collection, I only hope that other reviewers are wrong when they say it's downhill from here. Of course, if it's only a gentle downhill slope, then I guess that won't matter too much!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Bondama wrote: "Why Becky, I've never seen you as repetitious! :)"

It's a curse. Sometimes I get stuck on repeat. Sometimes I get stuck on repeat. Sometimes I... :P

Gatorman | 561 comments I though this story was vastly overrated. Started out really good on a character level and then devolved into a silly supernatural tale. The supernatural element was totally unnecessary and only acted as a cheat to show the reader what happened to his son. It would have been better left to the reader's imagination. I thought the rest of the stories were much better.

Jamie | 16 comments I JUST finished this and totally enjoyed it. It was so creepy and awful that I was on the edge of my seat. I got through half of it last night and found myself telling my husband all about it in detail because I just couldn't get some of the scenes out of my head. (I had to share because I felt like the awfulness of it was just too much to keep to myself). It was so totally vivid and descriptive, I actually really regretted the fact that I was eating during one part. Awesome story.

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments Ok. I have to agree with Jamie. I am on page 30 and I am deeply disturbed by the "incident". All I keep seeing is Johnny Depp playing this role and freaking out throughout the story. Am I the only one who think something is wrong with this character? LOL

Steve | 241 comments It is kind of like the dark halfbrother to My Pretty Pony. It was indeed one of my faves in the collection, but King certainly should stop writing stories that have newspaper report epilogues...kind of a cop out.

message 20: by Luis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Luis | 17 comments I loved this one, and now that I've finished all four of the novellas I say that 1922 is the best one. The slow descent into madness, for both the father and the son, is very well told. I also agree with a previous post, in that the son, Hank, was a pretty creepy kid.

Jaime (JaimeHobbes) | 104 comments Great story. Loved that it was in first person, King writes some of his best in this style. You really get to know the characters and feel that you are in the middle of the action. Hank was a creepy guy. I agree that the rats were all in Wilf's mind, showing his slow descent into madness. Does that mean he bit himself? Great writing, great imagery. My 2nd favorite in the collection...

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments I find this story sad. Its a perfect example of one creating their own problem/misery. What Wilf did was wrong. But I couldn't help be feel sad for him and his son.

Antony Bennett (derbyant) | 4 comments Gatorman wrote: "I though this story was vastly overrated. Started out really good on a character level and then devolved into a silly supernatural tale. The supernatural element was totally unnecessary and only ..."

I've just finished this tale and, although I enjoyed it, I agree with Gatorman that the supernatural element was the weakest part the story ... it was only there to preserve the first person narrative, and without it the whole thing could have been more powerful. Even so, it's a story that will stay in my mind for a while, I think.

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments I don't think this was a supernatural story at all. Its more of a psychological thriller. One has to decide whether the ending was in his head or real. I don't think anyone is wrong.

Bondama (Kerensa) | 868 comments Veronica, I completely agree with you. If there is a "supernatural" part, it's something the reader brings to the story, rather than something King wrote.

Gatorman | 561 comments It isn't just the end that has a problematic supernatural aspect to it. The whole part of (view spoiler) is definitely a supernatural element and cannot be explained away by saying it was only in his head.

message 27: by Stefan (last edited Mar 16, 2012 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stefan Yates (Stefan31) | 116 comments I agree with Gatorman. (view spoiler)

message 28: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I felt like a post above from Gaterman MAY be a spoiler so I deleted it and will repost here:

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Mar 15, 2012 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeesh... I am so glad that story is over. It was not my favorite. Long and drawn out. But I can't wait to discuss!! So here goes:

(view spoiler)

Chris Neal | 3 comments Not bad for a short story. I liked it, overall.
(view spoiler)

Gatorman | 561 comments Angie, a question. (view spoiler) Just curious.

message 32: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Mar 16, 2012 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gatorman wrote: "Angie, a question. [spoilers removed] Just curious."

Hummm... let me go back and look where the bite marks were. I kind read that part fast.
OK(view spoiler)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 868 comments Angie - Very well thought out statement. I agreed with you initially, and you backed up the premise that the rats were imagined by Wilf very well.

message 34: by Gatorman (last edited Mar 16, 2012 10:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gatorman | 561 comments Angie wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Angie, a question. [spoilers removed] Just curious."

Hummm... let me go back and look where the bite marks were. I kind read that part fast.
OK so it says arms, legs, ankles an..."

Thanks for the reply. I'll disagree with you because (view spoiler) It does make for an interesting discussion, though! :)

Bianca I believe this story really succeeds in capturing King's style: haunting, yet captivating. But as I was reading it, I kept thinking how oddly similar it was to "Dolores Claiborne".

message 36: by Becky (last edited Mar 16, 2012 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Agrimorfee wrote: "It was indeed one of my faves in the collection, but King certainly should stop writing stories that have newspaper report epilogues...kind of a cop out..."

I disagree... One of my favorite things about King is that you never know where the story will go... who will make it out and who won't.

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Veronica (last edited Mar 16, 2012 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments Angie wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Angie, a question. [spoilers removed] Just curious."

I agree. This is why I said from prior the story was more psychological than supernatural.(view spoiler)

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments This story is reminiscent to the Secret Window.

message 39: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 21, 2012 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments It has taken me a bit to read this story because I was reading The Stand when March came up.

Okay...I just finished it, and the end really kind of left it up to the reader to decide what was real and what wasn't. (view spoiler)

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments @ Kathryn: Without saying too much, I agree with you. I saw the story exactly the way you did.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments Veronica wrote: "@ Kathryn: Without saying too much, I agree with you. I saw the story exactly the way you did."

I thought I might be the only one! (view spoiler)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments Angie wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Angie, a question. [spoilers removed] Just curious."

I agree with you! I think so much of this is how we want to perceive it.

Gatorman | 561 comments I have to jump into this discussion again because the explanations I'm reading for the ending don't seem to make sense, and it's too easy for me to say that the ending can be whatever we want it to. (view spoiler) More thoughts are welcome!

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments I kind of want to say that is what's neat about this story. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Gatorman (last edited Mar 21, 2012 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gatorman | 561 comments That's an interesting take on the ending, Kathryn. Not sure if I buy into the idea that (view spoiler). Will have to think on that one.

message 46: by Becky (last edited Mar 21, 2012 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) (view spoiler)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments Becky wrote: "Going from memory completely on this, but the more I think about it, the more I think it was all in Wilf's head and that everything was his doing.

I think the stress of living with his shrew of a..."

I think you put it into better terms that I originally did, Becky. And yes, you are correct about your memory (view spoiler). I agree with everything you said.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments Gatorman wrote: "That's an interesting take on the ending, Kathryn. Not sure if I buy into the idea that [spoilers removed]. Will have to think on that one."

Thanks, Gatorman. It was just another idea I had. I could be wrong, though. :)

message 49: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

This discussion is great!!

(view spoiler)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Angie: (view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread