The Sword and Laser discussion

Among Others
This topic is about Among Others
What Else Are You Reading? > Nebula Nominee - "Among Others" Discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I'm trying to read through some of the Nebula Award nominees and I picked Among Others since it was only about 300 pages and I thought I could knock it out in a few days. I'm about half way through and I have to say that it was a real slow start. A lot of the book is spent talking about what the main character is reading. The story is taking place in 1979. She(main character) is a very fast reader and is reading through a bunch of SF classics so I've managed to expand my to-read list by quite a bit on suggestions from this book.

Now that I'm about half way through it has picked up a bit and I'm liking it better. Its not a conventional story and it reminds me a bit of Pan's Labyrinth. I'm looking forward to seeing how this book wraps up.

Has anyone else read this yet?

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Yes, I read it last year and loved it. I loved the way that it explored the early development of a sword and laser reader. Yes, it expanded my to be read list too.

Tamahome | 6349 comments Which books does it list?

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Tamahome wrote: "Which books does it list?"

Way too many to list without going back the the book and checking, but authors like Tolkien, Heinlein, Le Guin, Zelazny, Tiptree, Delany, Clarke, Asomiv as well an non-sf like Mary Renault... it was that aspect of the book I got the least enjoyment out of, because the Golden Age of sf holds little appeal for me, nor does the idea of finding a sort of surrogate family in sf fandom.

I did like the book over all though, it's very well written and Mor was an interesting character and I liked all the processing trauma stuff, (view spoiler)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Great minds think alike... or perhaps more likely I heard Cat's opinion when that episode aired and synthesised it to my own.
Cat puts it better anyway.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Planning to before it got nominated, but definitely will now. I'd read the kindle preview when I was selecting books for my around the world reading challenge, but put it aside when I determined it wasn't going to be very Welsh. I expect to learn a lot but not be much impressed by the story, since the part I read seemed to me like an excuse for Jo Walton to go off about all the books she loves. Which won't include Neuromancer...

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Just finished this. Can't say I loved it. I think I'd have enjoyed this more had I read more of the titles discussed in the novel. It felt like the author talking about how the scifi genre drew her in when she was young and about how much it meant to her. You could really see she feels passionate about reading and the themes in the books she loves. This was a coming of age book too that I feel female readers will probably identify with stronger than the male readers. I was drawn in at parts but other parts really slowed down and crawled.

(view spoiler)

kvon | 562 comments I really enjoyed this one. Happily I had a better childhood than she did, unhappily I didn't meet adults reading sf when I was young. I have read a lot of the authors she mentions, and it does feel like old home week there. The solitude of nerdiness struck a chord with me too.

I always wondered if the fantasy haters would dislike the magic, and the sf haters would dislike the book club parts, thus diminishing her audience.

(view spoiler)

I'd also like to commend Walton for changing her fantasy genres every two or three books. Now she just needs to write a rollicking space opera.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I finished this in the car ride to work today, and really enjoyed the Welshish accent of the audiobook. I didn't want to like it but gave up in the end because of the sheer love of reading, interlibrary loan, and book clubs that the author clearly has. (Or in Welsh accent - reeeeadin, enterLIBraaary lowan, and booyk clobs)

The fairy elements seemed beside the point, and obviously Walton wrote this to give her canon of SF, but I still enjoyed it just the same.