♥Books, Coffee, Music & Ireland♥ discussion

♥Books♥ > So Many Books, SO Little Time! *sigh*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Caity | 4434 comments Mod
Well, as this is a book website I think most of us have probably already discussed the books we love in other groups, but there are newbies, and we can never tire of talking about books now can we? SO- if you have any favorites or recommendations or books you *wouldn't* recommend, do share! :D
I like(just to add a few):
Jane Austen
Louisa May Alcott
Charles Dickens
Janette Oke
Judith Pella
Michael Philips
AND MANY MORE! :D

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 406 comments ok, well my favorite book is the Bible - can't count how many times my heart has been touched by God's Word.
Some Authors I like are:
Lauraine Snelling
MaryAnn Minatra (Alcott Legacy)
Louisa May Alcott (ALWAYS makes me laugh)
Janette Oke
Elizabeth Gaskell
Davis Bunn
Stphenie Grace Whitson
A W Tozer (Deep thoughts, simply put)

I'm sure there are more... :]

message 3: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 4 comments Alice wrote: "Well, as this is a book website I think most of us have probably already discussed the books we love in other groups, but there are newbies, and we can never tire of talking about books now can we?..."

since you like charles dickens, ive never read his books but i have great expectations, i was wondering, would you reccomend it?

message 4: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Natasha wrote: "Alice wrote: "Well, as this is a book website I think most of us have probably already discussed the books we love in other groups, but there are newbies, and we can never tire of talking about boo..."

well, I'll admit, as much as I like charles dickens, I've never actually read all his books(...trying to remember if I've read any...) but I love Charles Dickens in general I guess is what I meant! Lol Although I do love the story of Oliver Twist & read a childrens version years ago adn am going to read the real book in the near future. SO, in answer to your question, I'm not sure but if you read it let me know how it is! =D lol

message 5: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Nicole wrote: "ok, well my favorite book is the Bible - can't count how many times my heart has been touched by God's Word.
Some Authors I like are:
Lauraine Snelling
MaryAnn Minatra (Alcott Legacy)
Louisa May Al..."

I agree; God's Word is so inspiring & I love reading in Psalms and Proverbs and John, and 1 & 2 Timothy! :D (even though its ALL good! ;D)

message 6: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 4 comments Alice wrote: "Natasha wrote: "Alice wrote: "Well, as this is a book website I think most of us have probably already discussed the books we love in other groups, but there are newbies, and we can never tire of t..."

LOL!!! haha ok will do! :D thanks

message 7: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Natasha wrote: "Alice wrote: "Natasha wrote: "Alice wrote: "Well, as this is a book website I think most of us have probably already discussed the books we love in other groups, but there are newbies, and we can n..."

haha no prob. ;)

message 8: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain since you like charles dickens, ive never read his books but i have great expectations, i was wondering, would you reccomend it?."

I did read "Great Expectations" but I didn't like it too much at the end. The writing's fine, of course, I love how Dickens writes. And I odn't think it's so much that I didn't like the story itself, but the characters and I just didn't know what to think about it. It's a good one for discussion. But it's definitely worth a read :)

I love Dickens, too, btw. Has anyone read "Two Cities"? I love Sydney Carltonnn!

message 9: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 4 comments LadyDisdain wrote: "since you like charles dickens, ive never read his books but i have great expectations, i was wondering, would you reccomend it?."

I did read "Great Expectations" but I didn't like it too much at ..."

ok thankyou :) definitely will give it a read!

message 10: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

LadyDisdain wrote: "since you like charles dickens, ive never read his books but i have great expectations, i was wondering, would you reccomend it?."

I did read "Great Expectations" but I didn't like it too much at ..."

Ugh I keep kicking myself for not having read many classics even though I want to! I'm determined to read them in the VERY near future. Thank you for the review LadyDisdain, gr8 insight.
Whats your favorite Dickens?

message 11: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain ^ Haha I keep kicking myself too. There's SO much I want to read: A Room With a View, The Woman in White, The Picture of Dorian Gray...ugh, so need to get around to them soon!

And I've only read a few Dickens too. Two Cities, A Christmas Carol, and Great Expectations. Only 3 after all, haha ;D But Two Cities is my favorite. I love the form in which the story is told - and i know the politics in it is debatable or something but politics is not and never will be something for me so I don't really focus on that aspect. And as I said I love Sydney Carlton. You have to read it! Then I can talk more about it without ruining it for you ;)

message 12: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

LadyDisdain wrote: "^ Haha I keep kicking myself too. There's SO much I want to read: A Room With a View, The Woman in White, The Picture of Dorian Gray...ugh, so need to get around to them soon!

And I've only read ..."

LOL yes! I must read it so we can discuss it!! :D I also really ant to read Pride & Prejudice,Nicholas Nickelby & Three Musketeers! :D

message 13: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain Ohmygoodness yes!! I want to read Nicholas Nickleby too! (Unfortunately I've seen the film version of that before I got a chance to read it but it looks really good - like a feel good story.) & The Three Musketeers (now that Macfadyen plays one of them ;D) and The Man in the Iron Mask. Also desperately want to read The Count of Monte Cristo but it's soo long. Must. Get. Around. To All These Books!!

message 14: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

LadyDisdain wrote: "Ohmygoodness yes!! I want to read Nicholas Nickleby too! (Unfortunately I've seen the film version of that before I got a chance to read it but it looks really good - like a feel good story.) & Th..."

Haha YES! oh yea I want to read Man in the Iron Mask as well; and Don Quixote!! :D
I didn't like Hunchback of Notre Dame though....read it for school...:P *bleh*

message 15: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

Sophie | 2550 comments Mod
JANE AUSTEN !!!! :D :D :D

message 16: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Soph wrote: "JANE AUSTEN !!!! :D :D :D"

if not thats cool cause Jane Austen is perfectly epic, but have you read other authors? any other english authors?

message 17: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

um... not really! i never used to read till i found Austen so this is my first author really!! :S

message 18: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

cant believe im a book worm now! my family can't believe it!!

message 19: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Soph wrote: "cant believe im a book worm now! my family can't believe it!!"

Lol yea I was just wondering; thats TOTALLY awesome though! and what better author to begin with, eh? ;) Haha thats funny!

message 20: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Jane Austen is the best author to lead you into the world of books!!

It is also a truth universally acknowledged that you can't make a generally reference to Jane Austen without staying with it is a truth universally acknowledged!!! ;)

message 21: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Soph wrote: "It is a truth universally acknowledged that Jane Austen is the best author to lead you into the world of books!!

It is also a truth universally acknowledged that you can't make a generally referen..."

LOL!!! Well said, Soph! ;D <3

message 22: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

;) <3

message 23: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain It's awesome that Austen brought about the metamorphosis of the bookworm on you ;D haha!
And there's so much many other English lit novels to look forward to as well.

message 24: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

:D

message 25: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

LadyDisdain wrote: "It's awesome that Austen brought about the metamorphosis of the bookworm on you ;D haha!
And there's so much many other English lit novels to look forward to as well."

So true! and we'll be doing our best to recommend them ALL to you, Soph! Lol We'll try not to overwhelm you. ;p

message 26: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

Aww thanks!!! ;) nice to have recommendations bearing in mind I don't wanna stray too far from Austen just yet ;) well gunna finish those first!!!

message 27: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Soph wrote: "Aww thanks!!! ;) nice to have recommendations bearing in mind I don't wanna stray too far from Austen just yet ;) well gunna finish those first!!!"

Thats fine. ;) Btw, I started P&P!! :D :D :D

message 28: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

YAY - where you up to? (then I won't ask anymore and can talk in mail ;) )

message 29: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Soph wrote: "YAY - where you up to? (then I won't ask anymore and can talk in mail ;) )"

lol alright; I started it yesterday though so I'm not too far. I'm at the part where Lizzy was just asked to stay longer with Jane at Netherfield. ;) looking at the book I feel like I've hardly "touched the surface" in page count (I think I'm on pg 30something) but I've still covered everything in the beginning of the movie! It moves so quickly! I like it a LOT. ;)

message 30: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

The best is yet to come!!! <3

message 31: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Soph wrote: "The best is yet to come!!! <3"

LOL thanks! ;D Im excited. and I see what ppl mean when they say Darcy definitely likes Lizzy longer than the movie lets on. ;) so sweeet. I love their rants back n forth at netherfield! ;D

message 32: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

yeah ikr! hilarious - and easy to see!

message 33: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Soph wrote: "yeah ikr! hilarious - and easy to see!"

as much as I liked the 2005 version, reading the book I keep envisioning the 1995 cast. lol ;D

message 34: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

yeah same!!! i think that is probably because it is the longer one :)

message 35: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Soph wrote: "yeah same!!! i think that is probably because it is the longer one :)"

yea, prolly. ;)

message 36: by Nicole D. (last edited Mar 12, 2012 04:18PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 1278 comments Anyone fans of the Brontes?I love Jane Eyre by Charolotte Bronte,Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte.

I see Jane Austen is already said of course.Pride and Prejudice and Mansfield Park are her masterpieces.

message 37: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

I havent read any of them. are they good?

message 38: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

I haven't read any but from adapations i have seen they are a bit more dark and so not as keen but like Jane Eyre.
Nicole - you are a MP fan? i see a lot of varying views on that and i am yet to read that one :)

message 39: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

I haven't read it either. :)

message 40: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

currently reading NA, MP will be next :)

message 41: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 1278 comments Yes the Bronte's are darker then Austen.If you start I would read Jane Eyre first.Soph yes I am a big MP fan but it doesn't have a Lizzy/Emma heroine.I think that is one of the reasons why people don't like it.They go in thinking there going to get a Lizzy or Emma and are disappointed.

message 42: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

Well I will approach with open mind :)

message 43: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Lol me too, when I read it. ;D

message 44: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

side note - what order are you thinking for the remaining Austens Alice?

message 45: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Hmm
Emma
Sense and Sensibility
Mansfield Park
:)

message 46: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

Nice order!! And finish p and p first? ;)

message 47: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

YES!!! def! Lol and I just finished the other book I had to read so I'm back to it now! :D

message 48: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

Yay!! :D

message 49: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 317 comments In response to an earlier discussion: I read Great Expectations (twice) and loved it. Dickens has lots of twists and connections that all come together. There is a lull in the middle that takes some knee-high wading through, but on the whole it's great.
Brontes are pretty good, but I have a bad habit of comparing them to JA which are ten times better, in my opinion. Both Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre made me mad, disliking the heroines for different reasons.
JA: The best. Hands down, no more discussion. :) I agree with you Nicole about Fanny Price in MP, especially because that's one of the ones people read last, they have completely different reactions to Fanny.

message 50: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 1278 comments I recommend also Georgette Heyer's Cotillion and Sprig Muslin.She is a wonderful author and very funny.

« previous 1 3