Darynda Jones Fans discussion

TGDA Book Discussion > Admire or Dislike?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) Which characters do you admire or dislike? What are their primary characteristics?

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
Admire:
Charley-She's smart, determined, funny, and compassionate.

Reyes-He's protective, strong, hot :). He's going against everything his father made him for because he fell in love.

Cookie-She's loyal, funny, and a fierce friend.

Dislike:
Denise-She's selfish, narrow minded, and has hurt Charley again and again.

Leland-He's on my sh*t list with his second betrayal of Charley. A father is supposed to be unconditionally supportive of their children and he's fallen short time and again.

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Admire:

Reyes-He's protective, strong, hot :). He's going against everything his father made him for because he fell in love.

Cookie-She..."

Traci, I agree and could not have said it any better.

I will also add Garrett to LIKE because he is funny, caring, dedicated and he almost died trying to save Charlie's life.

Ubie is also on the LIKE list. Ubie cares for Charlie. He is supportive, loving, and although he uses her for his work he assists her with her clients too.

I LIKE Amber, Cookie's daughter. She is sweet, fun, and cute.

I HATE Reyes's Earthly father. He is evil, selfish, perverted, nasty, gross, selfish....

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) Traci & Mel I couldn't agree more! You guys hit the nail on the head. I also love Ubie...he's looking out for Charley, but he's still funny. I don't think he's trying to be, but he is!

Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Admire:

Reyes-He's protective, strong, hot :). He's going against everything his father made him for because he fell in lov..."

I totally agree with your likes/hates Mel!

message 6: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments I have to add Ronald (the clown) and Elizabeth (the woman lawyer in the first book) to the "like" list. Even though they're gone (twice!), Ronald was endearing and Elizabeth made me laugh a lot because she kept ogling Garrett. I'm taking those characters with me.

And Gemma of course, I think Charley got a little of her big sister humour. She also seems to be loyal and supportive.

I agree with all the above, except her dad. He's really acting stupid (and I hate him for that) and he didn't step up for Charley against Denise all her life, but there has to be more to it because Charley is a daddy's girl. I can't say I like him either, just that I don't know where to put him.

Ines wrote: "I have to add Ronald (the clown) and Elizabeth (the woman lawyer in the first book) to the "like" list. Even though they're gone (twice!), Ronald was endearing and Elizabeth made me laugh a lot bec..."

Ines, I'm not fond of Leland right now, but I'm holding out hope that he redeems himself soon and makes it up to Charley. I'm not giving up on him yet. I think it would help if she told him what she really was-maybe then he would understand why she does what she does and the risks that are involved.

message 8: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Traci wrote: "Ines wrote: "I have to add Ronald (the clown) and Elizabeth (the woman lawyer in the first book) to the "like" list. Even though they're gone (twice!), Ronald was endearing and Elizabeth made me la..."

I'm with you Tracy. There's a lot of lack of communication going on in these books! Nobody tells Charley about her powers, Reyes seems to hate talking as a whole, and Leland first sends a bad guy her way and then tries to take her away from the life she chose. He's all over the place! C'mon people, you can even text each other!...

message 9: by Cindy (last edited Feb 29, 2012 08:58PM) (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) Leland is sooo all over the place. He says he knows Charley will survive when he sends a bad guy after her and then gets mad because she's doing what she loves. I'd say lock him in a room for 5 minutes with Reyes. I know who I'd bet on to walk out of that room without a scratch. Or maybe put the azzhole alone with Artemis, and cover him with steak sauce. That way Charley won't be mad at Reyes. Yeah, that works for me }:)

message 10: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Cindy wrote: "Leland is sooo all over the place. He says he knows Charley will survive when he sends a bad guy after her and then gets mad because she's doing what she loves. I'd say lock him in a room for 5 m..."

Oh, the Artemis scenario sounds way too good Cindy!! :D

message 11: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
The lack of communication is driving me batty. Especially when Charley was in prison with Reyes. I know she was afraid of him because he's upset with her, but I feel like nothing important is being said. It's like everyone has a gag order in effect!

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Candie wrote: "The lack of communication is driving me batty. Especially when Charley was in prison with Reyes. I know she was afraid of him because he's upset with her, but I feel like nothing important is being..."

I agree....This group needs a course on "How to COMMUNICATE RESPECTFULLY with loved one."