The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Did Haymitch plan for Katniss and Peeta to be the symbols for revolution?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ange After my second reading in a long time, I get the idea that Haymitch planned some kind of revolution all along and he was just waiting for the right Tribute/s to come along. Does anybody else get this impression?

Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles i do. and they didnt really have a choice. katniss was the only person in the media, that deliberately defied the capitol, again, and again.

Ange Yes, I agree. And Cinna definitely had to be in on it along with Portia because Haymitch made K and P promise to do as they were instructed no matter what if he stayed sober enough to help them out. There's a lot more going on than I originally caught.

Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles yeah there is. this book is more deep than i thought

message 5: by E. (new) - rated it 4 stars

E. Exactly what I thought Ange, Hamitch was very much trying to start something like the revolution.

Jenny Actually I think Haymitch though about it even before Katniss and Peeta came because of the way he won, and i guess he was searching for the right people to start the revolution.

Ange Jenny wrote: "Actually I think Haymitch though about it even before Katniss and Peeta came because of the way he won, and i guess he was searching for the right people to start the revolution."

I thought that was what I said in my first comment. I felt that way because of his remark about having tributes who were going to actually participate or something like that. I can't remember his exact words. It appeared as though he's just been waiting for the right person to do what he has in mind to bring about change. Which makes sense, since he does not get all crazy-drunk during the games - when he has a purpose and is working toward it - then he goes right back to his old ways afterward...

Annemarie Donahue I should read this book again. I loved Haymitch and believe that he really wanted to see these kids do well and after their debut (where they revealed their talent and drive) he thought they could initiate a change. But at first I think Haymitch couldn't plan to put his pants on he was so blind drunk.

KareB Annemarie wrote: "I should read this book again. I loved Haymitch and believe that he really wanted to see these kids do well and after their debut (where they revealed their talent and drive) he thought they could ..."

LOL. I agree. I think he always had rebellion on his mind but began putting in action once he realized that Katniss and Peeta had a chance at surviving. Then he really put his mind to work.

message 10: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella I think he had a bit of an idea about what was going to happen in the future, but I don't think he planned for it to be them. I don't think he planned it at all. He knew it was going to happen, but then the right tools fell into his lap and he had to take his opportunity. They were strong and Katniss was stubborn which is exactly what you need to create a rebel. He knew what he needed to do when the time came so he took what he had to work with and molded it into something way bigger than he could have possibly imagined.