Novel Publicity's Author Karma discussion

Author Blog Swap

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 18 comments Hey All, I'm new so hopefully I'm not breaking any rules, but I just had an idea that I hoped others might like. I am just trying to get the word out about my novel, Silver Knight, and thought the whole Karma thing was fantastic. So here's what I propose: why don't we do an author interview blog swap? You do me, I do you kind of thing (except we don't smoke afterwards). :) Or it could be a guest post, whatever. What do you think?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Roberts (lauraroberts) I love that idea, Caron! It'd probably work best if we could swap with writers whose books were in similar genres. Maybe we could start by posting that?

My book is a political satire, and I believe it also qualifies as urban fantasy, thanks to the pirates and ninjas. ;)

message 3: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 18 comments Absolutely. Silver Knight is YA fantasy (it kind of crosses over into other genres but basically that's it).

message 4: by Eighty (new)

Eighty Six (86thepoet) | 6 comments I met Pavarti through an interview swap. I think it's a great idea.

My two 1000 line poems are post-apocalyptic and I will be releasing a novella of cocktail fiction Sunday. If anyone wants to talk poetry, PA, or bar stuff, let me know.

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Mar 01, 2012 04:11AM) (new)

Michelle Cornwell-Jordan (wwwreahketgroupiecom) | 6 comments I also a YA author Reahket is the tile of my book!
I also run a blog that does features on Indiewriters, called Indiewritersreview!

Here are two links! I would love to interview, have some submit MindTrack(what music influenced the author while writing their book) or guest post!

If interested just let me know:)I have also started IndiReview2(a read2review)

http://indiewritersreview.wordpress.c...

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Contact me here on Goodreads or mcjordan37@att.net:)

This is an awesome grp!

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Mills (emmamwriter) | 3 comments Good Idea! I'm trying to promote Witchblood which is Paranormal YA if anyone wants to swap with me? My blog is www.witchbloodthenovel.com

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cornwell-Jordan (wwwreahketgroupiecom) | 6 comments Hey everyone! I've just stepped into the deep with a read2review(inspired by some great grps here on Goodreads!) If you havent seen those grps, just check them out in several of the Goodreads YA grps:)

But I am launching one on March 09th, if some of you can come by and some help out (as reviewers?)...I would be most appreciative, and you know I have your back as well:)Also, Ms. Hargrove is an awesome author, so I would hope everyone would come by and show her some love:)

http://indiewritersreview.wordpress.c...

Signs ups officially begin March 09th, but can leave info anytime:)

I will help everyone out with their blogs in anyway you may need:) Just let me know:)

Michelle

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Roberts (lauraroberts) 86thepoet: What do you mean by "cocktail fiction"?

message 9: by Eighty (new)

Eighty Six (86thepoet) | 6 comments Laura wrote: "86thepoet: What do you mean by "cocktail fiction"?"

Fiction about bartenders, servers, bars, cooks, etc. Life in the bar and restaurant business. I've been doing it 20 years and am starting to write about experiences, characters and the lifestyle. Been wondering where to market this type of stuff.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 12 comments Laura wrote: "I love that idea, Caron! It'd probably work best if we could swap with writers whose books were in similar genres. Maybe we could start by posting that?

My book is a political satire, and I believ..."

I like your idea but I think it limits a writers reach or the possibility of being discovered outside the genre by a different audience. I interview any author who is interesting. To me an interview is 75% about the author anyway so if they present themselves well, who knows what can happen. I'm up for interviewing. Send me your eMail address and I'll send you the eMail interview. This could be fun. And maybe productive.
Joseph

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Roberts (lauraroberts) Very true, Joseph. My point was that I find a lot of bloggers are very adamant about "I only read this type of fiction," so if you're sending them political humor and they only want erotica, they tend to get annoyed.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Roberts (lauraroberts) Fiction about bartenders, servers, bars, cooks, etc. Life in the bar and restaurant business...

Kind of like Anthony Bourdain, but fictional? I think you could just start with short story markets, if the pieces stand alone. I've heard there's a traditional publishing tendency to avoid buying collections of short fiction from unknown authors, but in our age of Twitter fiction, perhaps it's becoming less stigmatized (after all, getting people to read ANYTHING seems difficult, sometimes).

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie White (jamiebmusings) | 4 comments I'd love to be involved in this or trading guest posts. I don't have a book out yet, but I'm a blogger trying to promote my blogs and getting ready to release a book this year.

message 14: by Eighty (new)

Eighty Six (86thepoet) | 6 comments Laura wrote: "Fiction about bartenders, servers, bars, cooks, etc. Life in the bar and restaurant business...

Kind of like Anthony Bourdain, but fictional? I think you could just start with short story markets..."

I've been working in restaurants for over twenty years and have always wanted to write about it. Eventually. Then, yes, I did read Kitchen Confidential and felt I needed to represent waiters and bartenders the way Bourdain represents cooks. Only semi-fictional and partly vicarious. The main character is much like me but wilder.

Sunday or Monday I'm publishing 50 pages at Smashwords. It's either the first part of a novel or part of a series. Maybe I'll write another 50 pages and release that. We'll see what happens. I'll either sell zero or a million.

message 15: by Eighty (new)

Eighty Six (86thepoet) | 6 comments Joseph wrote: "Laura wrote: "I love that idea, Caron! It'd probably work best if we could swap with writers whose books were in similar genres. Maybe we could start by posting that?

My book is a political satire..."

Similar genres? I think that depends on the person. Sometimes it's good to swap ideas with someone who shares your interests. Sometimes it's nice to rub brains with someone quite different.

I'd love to exchange interviews with anyone who writes in verse or is into post-apocalypse or is into cocktail stuff or is not.

We just need to help each other get seen. The new ebook thing is double-edged. It's easy to get your stuff printed. Screw traditional publishing. But a million other people are doing the same. Yes, we're better that most of them. But there's still a million of them.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura Roberts (lauraroberts) We just need to help each other get seen.

That's definitely true. Joseph, I'm writing up answers for your interview today. I used to put up interviews with indie publishers on my literary site, Black Heart (http://blackheartmagazine.com), and would get back to doing these with indie authors.

Anybody who would like to be interviewed can email me at laura@blackheartmagazine.com and I'll send you some questions!

message 17: by Alberta (new)

Alberta Ross (authorshow4506833alberta_ross) | 1 comments I have a Red Carpet Day occasionally on my blog for guests interviews or guest post - would be happy to join in - I don't mind other genres the post is usually about the author - I'll highlight a book - help in a book tour.

my books are hopeful dystopian with dash of love (not romance)!

http://albertaross.wordpress.com if you want to see the kind of thing - I don't have 100's of comments but have just joined a tribe on triberr so future posts will get aired to many on twitter.

message 18: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 18 comments Alberta wrote: "I have a Red Carpet Day occasionally on my blog for guests interviews or guest post - would be happy to join in - I don't mind other genres the post is usually about the author - I'll highlight a b..."

Hey, that sounds cool. I have a book tour in April. Send me an email at caron@caronrider.com and we'll chat!

message 19: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Straub (httpwwwbridgetstraubcom) | 2 comments Alberta wrote: "I have a Red Carpet Day occasionally on my blog for guests interviews or guest post - would be happy to join in - I don't mind other genres the post is usually about the author - I'll highlight a b..."

I realeased my first novel "Searching for My Wand" In mid Dec. and am soon to release my 2nd. I am always looking to do more guest posts and/or interviews. You can contact me at seasidesmores@gmail.com. The genre is contemporary chicklit

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cornwell-Jordan (wwwreahketgroupiecom) | 6 comments Indiewritersrview is also open to host guest post, giveaways, and interviews...I also have features for read2review(to get the book in readers hands and hopefully more reviews:) If anyone is interested, please shoot me an email at mcjordan37@att.net

http://indiewritersreview.wordpress.com/

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grimley (laurengrimley) | 8 comments Hi everyone,
I'm new to the group, but love this idea. I have an adult unban fantasy book coming out later this year (Unforeseen) and would love to get onto a few more sites as well as help a few other writers.

Caren and Emma, my book isn't YA, but the same genre, maybe we can connect. I also teach 7th and 8th grade, so I know your audience and if you were interested in sharing a bit about writing with them, they'd think it was neat and it'd be a good way to connect with young readers. Let me know here or shoot me an email at legrimley@yahoo.com

www.laurengrimley.com

message 22: by Jeff (last edited Mar 15, 2012 12:13PM) (new)

Jeff Shanley (Mavonduri) | 5 comments Hey all, I'm looking to host author interviews and guest posts on my blog, as well as be hosted if the interest is reciprocated. Let me know via email (mavonduritrilogy@gmail.com) or Twitter (@Mavonduri)

For those who aren't familiar, my debut novel MATHION: BOOK ONE OF THE MAVONDURI TRILOGY is a YA epic fantasy novel that chronicles the life of the Wolven king Mathion, and his destiny to unite the Wolfstones and bring an end to a 20,000-year war with the werewolf High Lord Azgharáth. In this first book in the Trilogy, Mathion must aid the eastern city of Kihar as they are attacked by an army of werewolves. But there is a greater scheme at work, and when his brother in law Oharion is taken prisoner he makes the choice to go after him himself on a potentially suicidal rescue mission. What follows will not only shape the rest of his life, but will force him to accept his destiny and wield an ancient power that could destroy them all.

http://www.mavonduri-trilogy.blogspot...

Thanks all!

Jeff

message 23: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 12 comments http://BloggerLinkUp.com/
Do you know about this link? I get interviewee there whenever I need them. I'll interview you if you want.
Joseph

message 24: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Shanley (Mavonduri) | 5 comments Hey all, if ANY of you are on Twitter I could really use your help.

I'm rereleasing my debut novel MATHION: BOOK ONE OF THE MAVONDURI TRILOGY as a Revised & Expanded Edition, which will include full appendices and new storylines. I will also be making a new cover, though it's really what's behind the cover that matters.

What I'm asking is, if you're on Twitter, to help me get the #Mathion hashtag trending so that people will be made aware that it's coming. Can't give you the exact date of the rerelease yet, but it WILL be this summer. Thanks all!

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grimley (laurengrimley) | 8 comments Jeff wrote: "Hey all, if ANY of you are on Twitter I could really use your help.

I'm rereleasing my debut novel MATHION: BOOK ONE OF THE MAVONDURI TRILOGY as a Revised & Expanded Edition, which will include f..."

I'm on, Jeff (@legrimley), though I don't really know how to use it well, yet. But if you let me know when your book is close to release, I'll gladly tweet about it - and maybe you could do the same for me in return when my novel Unforeseen is released (no date yet, but I'll keep you posted!)

message 26: by Eric (new)

Eric Benoit (elmseeker) | 1 comments Great Idea, I write fantasy but on my blog I would accept guest posts about any genre. If anyone is interested please let me know.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Roberts (lauraroberts) I had another fun idea that authors might like to contribute to.

On my website, I'm looking to feature what I call "Character Crushes." The idea is that in 1,000 words or less, you describe a character from a book that you have a literary crush on. Tell us why this character kicks ass or makes you swoon, the way you might describe a lover or a friend. Convince us that this is the fictional character of your dreams! I thought this might appeal to indie authors, who can either write about their favorite well-known characters OR describe their own hero or heroine as a way to showcase their book in a unique way.

If you want to write up a Character Crush piece, feel free to send it to me at crushes@blackheartmagazine.com, and don't forget to include a brief (100-word) bio for yourself.

For an example, here's one I wrote about Tyler Durden from Chuck Palahniuk's book Fight Club: http://blackheartmagazine.com/2009/02...

Cheers,
Laura

message 28: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Straub (httpwwwbridgetstraubcom) | 2 comments I love this idea! now I just have to pick a character!

message 29: by Brad (new)

Brad Geagley | 2 comments Laura, I'd like to contribute to your character crushes series. I'll email you directly. I love all these idea and if anyone would like to guest post on my blog, bradgeagley.com, I'd be happy to include you and links.
Best,
Brad
www.bradgeagley.net

message 30: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) I love the idea but I might be too embarassed!

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grimley (laurengrimley) | 8 comments Laura wrote: "I had another fun idea that authors might like to contribute to.

On my website, I'm looking to feature what I call "Character Crushes." The idea is that in 1,000 words or less, you describe a char..."

I love this, too! Now, which crush to pick...

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura Roberts (lauraroberts) Awesome! Looking forward to reading your picks. :D

message 33: by Eighty (new)

Eighty Six (86thepoet) | 6 comments This thing works.
My Laura Roberts interview: http://eightysixthepoet.blogspot.com/...

Still thinking about my character crush.

message 34: by Eva (new)

Eva Rieder (evarieder) | 1 comments I love this idea. I don't have a book out just yet but I maintain a blog and am prepping to query agents for my romantic fantasy book in the coming months. I'd be interested in doing this in the future, and in the interim I think it would be great to trade blog interviews with interesting authors who are published/preparing to publish/preparing to query, or just exchange about our work and/or blogs. I write fantasy and contemporary fiction...my website is www.evarieder.com. Email me if you think we might be a good pairing and we can start planning. :)

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grimley (laurengrimley) | 8 comments Alberta wrote: "I have a Red Carpet Day occasionally on my blog for guests interviews or guest post - would be happy to join in - I don't mind other genres the post is usually about the author - I'll highlight a b..."

I'd also be interested in this, Alberta. I'm trying to put together a blog tour for May for my urban fantasy book, Unforeseen, being released Friday, and would love another couple sites. Send me an email if you're still interested. Legrimley@yahoo.com

message 36: by Monique (new)

Monique Domovitch | 1 comments Love the idea. I've been running a facebook page called Bookaholics Off The Wagon. If anyone want to post about their books or their character crushes there or their links, go right ahead.

message 37: by Brad (new)

Brad Geagley | 2 comments Monique wrote: "Love the idea. I've been running a facebook page called Bookaholics Off The Wagon. If anyone want to post about their books or their character crushes there or their links, go right ahead."

Monique, I'd love to! I'll see you over at your blog and on FB!
Brad

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grimley (laurengrimley) | 8 comments Great name for the page, too! I'll check it out and add my book links for Unforeseen.
Thanks!

message 39: by Solitaire (new)

Solitaire Parke (solitaireparke) | 2 comments Hi everyone,
I'm also new to the group. I think this is a great idea! My debut novel is a Horror/Thriller titled "Vengeance of the Wolf"; book one of the Dorian Trilogy. I have just written a YA Sci-Fi novel titled "Tinker Smith & the Conspiracy of OZ" - to be released in June! I am looking to possibly do a blog tour and definitely giveaways!

In the meantime, I am also writing "The Emerald Dragon"...an exciting Urban Fantasy story that I am featuring on my blog! It is being featured one chapter at a time (every Friday) as it's being written! I have some fun giveaway ideas for this project as well!

If anyone is interested in doing an interview swap and/or guest posts, etc...let's connect! Feel free to email me at: sp[at]solitaireparke[dot]com.

Website - http://www.solitaireparke.com
Blog - http://solitaireparke.wordpress.com

Thanks!

~Solitaire~

message 40: by Jamie (last edited May 14, 2012 02:06PM) (new)

Jamie White (jamiebmusings) | 4 comments Anyone that would like to swap posts, please feel free to contact me at jamiebmusings@gmail.com :) I'd be happy to swap a guest blog, interview or share book excerpts/trailers. Looking forward to hearing from you.

message 41: by Pen (new)

Pen Clements (penclements) | 1 comments Hello all,
I'm not sure where to introduce myself so thought I'd try here. I am so glad to find this group - I checked out a few forums but some of them made me think that the days of book burnings have been replaced by author burnings. Pile the authors up in the public square, pour petrol all over them and light a match...I have no intention of spamming my books (I still have to launch the first one, reinstate my web stuff etc. etc.) but it made me scared to be a writer. So I am glad to meet you guys! And I'd love to swap/help/whatever I can, although I have to get my act together first. Good incentive though!

message 42: by Eighty (new)

Eighty Six (86thepoet) | 6 comments I'm hosting a 10x10 poetry contest with Alchemy of Scrawl and Book Bloggers' Collaborative. 10 lines of 10 syllables each about animals.

http://bookbloggerscollaborative.com/...

message 43: by Debra Jayne (last edited May 20, 2012 10:33AM) (new)

Debra Jayne East (debrajayneeast) | 2 comments Hello. My name is Debra Jayne East and I write paranormal romance stories. My new novel, Radiance:Love after Death is about love and second chances. I'm interested in swapping blogs, trailers and reviews. Even though it's a sweet romance its still pretty darn sexy! Feel free to check out my book on Amazon and my blog to see if you are interested. Thanks!

http://debrajayneeast.blogspot.com

message 44: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 18 comments Hey All, This isn't so much a swap but it is publicity related. Stormi @ http://www.lightningbookpromotions.com is putting together a summer bash to promote author's books. You put your books on sale for .99 as part of the promotion. Then with all the authors tweeting, etc. about the bash, you hopefully gain fans, readers, and some sales. :)

message 45: by Julie (new)

Julie Day | 3 comments My first adult romance ebook will hopefully be coming out end of June. It is magical realism with gentle warm humour and called 'One Good Turn'. If anyone else here writes similar stories to me, I'd be interested to know as looking for being a guest blogger in July.

message 46: by Jamie (new)

Jamie White (jamiebmusings) | 4 comments "Hey All, This isn't so much a swap but it is publicity related. Stormi @ http://www.lightningbookpromotions.com is putting together a summer bash to promote author's books. You put your books on sale for .99 as part of the promotion. Then with all the authors tweeting, etc. about the bash, you hopefully gain fans, readers, and some sales. :) "

How do you get involved other than pricing?

message 47: by Christina (new)

Christina McCale | 8 comments Hi everyone! My name is Christina McCale and I write non-fiction.. the book is called "Waiting for Change" it's on amazon. (I would provide the link but I think that's "breaking the rules...?")

It's profiles the experience so many people are having right now being unemployed, losing their homes, etc.

I would be happy to provide guest blogs, interviews, or whatever as well. ;-) Email me at chrismccale@c2h3m.com

message 48: by Gale (new)

Gale Martin | 4 comments Julie wrote: "My first adult romance ebook will hopefully be coming out end of June. It is magical realism with gentle warm humour and called 'One Good Turn'. If anyone else here writes similar stories to me, I..."

Hi, Julie! I also have an adult romantic novel coming out shortly after yours. I would be delighted to blog swap as I am looking to fill a few more tour dates following my novel's launch in mid-July.

Let me know if you are interested.

All best!

Gale Martin

message 49: by Gale (new)

Gale Martin | 4 comments Jamie wrote: "Anyone that would like to swap posts, please feel free to contact me at jamiebmusings@gmail.com :) I'd be happy to swap a guest blog, interview or share book excerpts/trailers. Looking forward to h..."
Hi, Jamie! I would be happy to swap a post, interview or book excerpt. I am looking to add a few more blog tour dates for my new novel GRACE UNEXPECTED, being released July 16. Let me know if you can do a swap any time the last two weeks in July.

Cheers!

Gale Martin
http://galemartin.me

message 50: by Jamie (new)

Jamie White (jamiebmusings) | 4 comments Gale, I'd be happy to. E-mail me and I will respond tomorrow to work out details.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unforeseen (other topics)