Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Dark Descendant - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for the discussion of: Dark Descendant by Jenna Black Dark Descendant (Nikki Glass, #1) by Jenna Black

message 2: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments This was an awesome book. I did not expect to like it as much as I did. If I can I will do a reread of it.

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I found that as I read this book the more I liked it. It is very different from what is out there. We were given just enough to know and understand what was going on in this book, but there is so much more to learn about the world and the story it is set in.

Had the story gone the way it seemed like it was going to in the first couple of chapters I probably wouldn't have finished it. So when this big twist came in I was happy. Nikki learning of these supernatural people seemed to shock her, but yet she accepted it really fast.

I love how there are 2 different factions, good and evil, every good story needs those basics in it. It is also more fun as a reader when things aren't black and white.

The "good" group that Nikki seems more drawn to sure have issues. The contentious relationship Nikki has with almost everyone is interesting. I also like how Nikki and the others seem to change their minds along the way. It seems to me that we may see an unconventional pairing coming up, something that I am looking forward to.

message 4: by Gin (new)

Gin | 338 comments Just started this one and I'm enjoying it so far. This is a book that I didn't read the back at all, but went solely off recommendation, so I really had no idea what to expect. I like that it's about less overplayed type of characters.

message 5: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments I really enjoyed this one. Like Dawn, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The first chapter really didn't grab me, but I am so glad I continued on. I really liked that it was different Gods/Goddesses, not just Roman & Greek. I would have liked a bit more of them, but it was a great book for the first in a series. Very well written, nice pacing, and flowed smoothly – making for a quick read. I'll continue with the series.

message 6: by Gin (new)

Gin | 338 comments I also didn't expect to like this book nearly as much as I did. I couldn't put it down.

message 7: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Yes, I zipped right thought it - mostly due to really liking it and wanting to find out what was going to happen. I was pleasantly surprised. I was trying to find out who was going to be the "love interest" - (view spoiler)

message 8: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (last edited Mar 14, 2012 05:58PM) (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Yeah I am glad you all liked it :-)

I cannot wait until April!

message 9: by Lara (new)

Lara | 742 comments This was definitely a quick read. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Artemis powers develop. And, Like Lisa Kay, I'm waiting for her love interest to show up. So far, I'm glad nothing developed too easily. She has a lot of trauma to overcome. And I'm wondering if she will find her mother and brother at some point. There are all sorts of scenarios that could be developed there.

message 10: by Lisa Kay (last edited Mar 17, 2012 07:55AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Yes, Lara, she could find her mother or brother... I'm guessing the later.

message 11: by Lara (new)

Lara | 742 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Yes, Lara, she could find her mother or brother... I'm guess the later."

My question is whether he will turn out to be working with the Olympians, or if he'll be someone she'll find in order to rescue.

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Lara wrote: "My question is whether he will turn out to be working with the Olympians, or if he'll be someone she'll find in order to rescue."

Oh, dear... left the "ing" off "guess". Sorry.

Anyway, that is a good question, Lara. I wonder why she hasn't tried to find them yet - her being a P.I. and all? But now that she knows she has special "hunting" abilites, maybe she take a shot at it.

message 13: by Lara (new)

Lara | 742 comments Lisa Kay wrote: " I wonder why she hasn't tried to find them yet - her being a P.I. and all?"

I suspect it was because she was abandoned, and didn't even know her name, much less her mother's. However, now that she knows about the Olympians, she seems to suspect her mother was trying to hide her. So, I would expect to see something interesting happen regarding her family in a future book.

message 14: by Gin (new)

Gin | 338 comments I hadn't really thought about it , but I suppose her brother could be one of the Olympians. He w was young enough, that if captured they would have trained instead of killing him.

message 15: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Very true, Lara. May have changed her attitude regarding abandonment.

The more I get some distance from this book, the more I find I still remember parts of it. It really was a very good book for the first in the series. It has some nice concepts in it that may have been done before, but here they were done quite nicely.

message 16: by Sonia (last edited Mar 29, 2012 06:29AM) (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Gin wrote: "I hadn't really thought about it , but I suppose her brother could be one of the Olympians. He w was young enough, that if captured they would have trained instead of killing him."

I don't think so Gin. If he was (view spoiler)

message 17: by Gin (new)

Gin | 338 comments Sonia wrote: "Gin wrote: "I hadn't really thought about it , but I suppose her brother could be one of the Olympians. He w was young enough, that if captured they would have trained instead of killing him."

I d..."

Do you mean because(view spoiler)

message 18: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Good question, Gin. I can't remember and I returned the book to the library... but you might be right. Or is it just that there are very few males?

message 19: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) It is a good question... and I don't remember either... I'll check that out but I usually have a good memory for phrases and situations and that doesn't ring a bell... and it is a good point... I'm going to investigate...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dark Descendant (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jenna Black (other topics)