Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - March 2012 - Janet Laurence

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Feb 29, 2012 09:47PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Our featured author for March is Janet Laurence.

About this author (from her GRs author profile):

Janet Laurence also writes cookery books and one of her creations in the detective genre is Darina Lisle, a cook and caterer.

She has written 10 novels featuring Darina Lisle between 1989 and 2001. The first was 'A Deepe Coffyn (1989) and the last to date was 'The Mermaid's Feast (2001).

She is also the creator of the Canaletto series of mysteries, set in 18th century London. There are three in the series, which began with 'Canaletto and the Case of Westminster Bridge' (1997).

Darina Lisle Books

#1 A Deepe Coffyn (Darina Lisle, #1) by Janet Laurence A Deepe Coffyn
#2 A Tasty Way to Die 1990
#3 Hotel Morgue 1991
#4 Recipe for Death 1992
#5 Death and the Epicure 1993
#6 Death at the Table (Darina Lisle, #6)  by Janet Laurence Death at the Table 1994
#7 Death a la Provencale 1994
#8 Diet for Death 1996
#9 Appetite for Death 1998
#10 The Mermaid's Feast (Darina Lisle, #10)  by Janet Laurence The Mermaid's Feast 2000

Canaletto

#1 Canaletto and the Case of Westminster Bridge (Canaletto, #1) by Janet Laurence Canaletto and the Case of Westminster Bridge 1997
#2 Canaletto and the Case of the Privy Garden (Canaletto, #2) by Janet Laurence Canaletto and the Case of the Privy Garden 1999
#3 Canaletto and the Case of Bonnie Prince Charlie (Canaletto, #3) by Janet Laurence Canaletto and the Case of Bonnie Prince Charlie 2002

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Never heard of this author! Will have to take a look at these books and see if they appeal to me!

message 3: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 57440 comments Never heard of her. I work in a used book store. Will see what I can find.

message 4: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments This is a new one for me too! So glad I have this group to keep me up-to-date!

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

You can thank Denise for her suggestion in our featured author suggestion thread. When I need ideas, I go there.

This was Denise's suggestion:

A British author that maybe some haven't read that I think has an excellent cullinary series is Janet Laurence. Her Darina Lisle series starts with A Deepe Coffyn. There are 10 in this series. She has another series with 3 books that I have not read. The first book is Canaletto and the Case of Westminster Bridge. She also has some collaborative works."

message 6: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Feb 29, 2012 04:43PM) (new)

I'm new to this author as well. I like the idea of the Canaletto series. He's a ventiain artist who arrives in 1700 England. In the first book in the series, it's mentioned he had dinner with Jane Austin. :) I've put it on my PBS wishlist, hoping it comes in soon. (There are no copies available but I'm the first on the wishlist.)

message 7: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18165 comments Mod
Can't say I have heard of this author, either. Will see if I can find anything at one of the local UBS.

message 8: by Nell (last edited Mar 01, 2012 11:56AM) (new)

Nell | 1163 comments Many of her books seem to be out of print and difficult to find.

message 9: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I didn't realize they'd be out of print since the latest came out in 2002. I will admit used copies might be easier to find.

message 10: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I'll make sure whoever I pick for next month has more current books in print. I didn't realize it would be so hard to find her books. Sorry folks.

message 11: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments Don't think I'll join in on this, I can't find a used copy on PBS. Not available for Nook either.

message 12: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

If absolutely nobody can find copies, then perhaps I should choose another author to feature. With her last book out in 2002, I would have thought copies would still be around for at least the later books.

message 13: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I checked Amazon and the titles they list are all only available through the Amazon Marketplace. Doesn't look like Amazon actually carries any themselves. Some are quite cheap, but others are pretty pricey.

message 14: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Moderator's Note: As it's only March 2nd, and nobody can find copies of the featured author, tomorrow I'll list a new one. Please keep this in mind when you suggest an author on the featured author suggestion thread, that their books still need to be available when you suggest them. It would help me out.

message 15: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I ordered A Deepe Coffyn and will read it and let you know what I think!

message 16: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks Tricia.

message 17: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I was also able to find Canaletto and the Case of Westminster Bridge Now I just need to find some time. We've had 80 degree weather out here in California which makes being outside a number one priority. We're supposed to have rain though for the LA Marathon, which I'm definitely not running. I'll do more interesting mental exercises such as reading!

message 18: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Karen L wrote: "I was able to find a short story of hers in the book Murder, They Wrote by Martin H. Greenberg at my library. It includes many other authors: Mary Daheim, Jane Dent..."

Hey, I have that! Thanks for letting me know. I'll pull it out tomorrow and have a look at it. :) Sometimes with anthologies it's hard to know who all is in it, as they only list the big names easy to find if it has alot of contributors.

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I was lucky to find a copy of A Deepe Coffyn at the library today (lucky because it doesn't show on their inventory!)

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I read A Deepe Coffyn and really enjoyed it. My library has a few more books in the Darina Lisle series, so I'll probably read those sometime.

message 21: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Glad you liked it Donna.

message 22: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I'm really behind even in my children's picture book group. When the time changed my schedule really went crazy!

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda B | 200 comments Just finishedCanaletto and the Case of Westminster Bridge by Janet Laurence. I was not real impressed with the book. To me it seemed to bounce around all over the place.

Canaletto and the Case of Westminster Bridge (Canaletto, #1) by Janet Laurence