Jane Austen discussion

Which Austen should be remade next?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Well I was thinking which Austen should be turned into film/adaptations next and wondered what others thoughts were :)???

Well I think for a longer series should be
Persuasion
Mansfield Park and
Northanger Abbey
as the P&P can't be beaten and there has been a really good and recent Emma and S&S series :)

And into a film should be...
(maybe) S&S and Emma?
P&P recent and good, Persuasion, NA and MP all done in 2007 and good :)

So really I think there needs to be some updated, loner series! Like Emma and S&S has been and well - don't even go there with P&P!!!

message 2: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments Mansfield Park(longer series)and stay as faithful to the book as the 1986 version or even closer

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Thanks - is the 1986 version good ? :)

message 4: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments I have to agree that Mansfield Park is the one I'd like to see remade. I've seen the 1986 version, but didn't like the actress that played Fanny very much.

message 5: by Nicole D. (last edited Feb 29, 2012 02:56PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments Soph,The 1986 version is the best IMO.

Lorranine,I really loved the actress who played Fanny.btw She is Mrs.Allen in the new version of Northanger Abbey.I didn't like her to much in that role.

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments Yes, I recognize her in movies and TV shows from time to time - she's very distinctive looking. I like her as Mrs. Allen, though! Was was in a Midsomer Murders that aired recently. Her name is Sylvestra Le Touzel.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Thanks - I've got it to watch :) will watch when onto reading it (on NA abbey ATM!) which NA do you like best? Sorry sidetracking ;)

message 8: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments NA - gotta be the one with JJ Feild. Wasn't crazy about the lead actress, but she did look young and innocent. Loved the final scene in the bushes!

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Agree there! Great scene!

And what do people think about for the film? Which one needs a update and at a length when you don't have to set a whole day aside and can watch it of an evening ;) ???

message 10: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments I agree Lorraine,Northanger Abbey the new version.I thought all the actors(wish Mrs Allen had been a bit more silly)were great and the actoress who played Isabelle was perfect.It's about 90mins

I read that the other the older bbc version is very bad.I don't know how long this one is.

message 11: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I don't know though, Soph. The films based on classics, or with the period settings -- part of their pleasure is the length. There is so much to capture, the detail, the settings -- sometimes they are more enjoyable to watch part by part. Probably why Masterpiece has been so successful. (Look at us Downton Abbey fans!)

I think some of us talked a while back about seeing Lady Susan and Sanditon done as a combination film -- two shorts together somehow. That would be nice short viewing. You can even watch one each evening.

I did like the recent Persuasion film with Hawkins and Penry-Jones, but the pace was too fast. I would love to recapture the essence of the Root and Hinds version. The cinematography of that one was so good.

The scene at the end where Anne was literally running after Wentworth, singed my feminist plumage a tad, I must say! And not just that -- it felt too much after all the poor woman had already gone through -- she had already "fought her way back" to happiness in a way. Didn't need all the running. Does anyone get what I am saying?

message 12: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Soph, you have given me an idea for a different thread. I am about to pop it up right now, and I wonder if anyone has any comments.

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments and i agree about the latest Persuasion! Perry-Jones <3 <3 <3 and thanks i've seen it! :) and i get what you are saying :) i like the ending in the book! it is extremely different right?
SPOILERS!!!
like the part in the film when he goes to ask her about the house for her and Elliot and then thats when he finds out she isn't with Elliot? that not in book right! ??

message 14: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SPOILERS**************Persuasion***********read at your own risk

Soph, if I am not mistaken, the film makers derived that from the 1st ending Jane wrote to the novel in which Frederick is asked to address the house lease issue to Anne, but that takes place at the Crofts' Bath home. Jane then wrote a second, and now permanent ending which centers only upon the famous letter we are more familiar with. Both recent film versions have Frederick approach Anne to inquire about the house lease -right?-- (tired brain right now). So you are correct, it does not happen like that in the published novel form we know.

I think, in the Penry-Jones version, that scene seems to underline the message to the film viewer, just so everyone is clear. You know what I mean? In the novel, the tension and anxiety stays more sharp because Frederick does not know for sure, even about Mr. Wonderful - William's progress with Anne. (William is quite a piece of work -- manipulating everyone around, right? Except Anne, really -- although he is trying his darndest! She is kind of like -- get out of my way, I am trying to stare at my sweetie! haha)

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments SPOLIERS!

Thank you Sarah! :) i love the letter soo much!and i hear see though haven't seen the 1995 version.

'You pierce me soul! I am half hope. half agony.' <3

message 16: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Works every time! And it isn't just a romantic ending, but it sort of verifies who they both are, and were, all along. Beautiful and complete.

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Totally agree! Though not against the running through bath as it is pretty sweet and the letter is going on in the background so still in there!!

message 18: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I certainly see what you are saying, Soph. And that version does have some other beautiful moments too. And the cast is good.

message 19: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes.. As I said earlier - Perry - Jones!! <3
Love the end end scene when outside house!! Even though not in book - soo sweet!! <3

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I agree with most of that except that I much prefer Penry-Jones as Wentworth but I wish the 2007 was longer and the letter scene was the same ...
So, which do you think should be re done? A longer series of Persuasion?

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 44 comments Roseanne wrote: "I have just watched the 1995 Persuasion & 2007 version back to back (severe jet lagged, pardon any typos) and I have to say I much prefer both Anne & Wentworth in the 1995 version. Amanda Peet acte..."

The most recent version of Persuasion was horrendous (I still shudder to think of it). I doubt 1995's could be beaten (I adore Ciaran Hinds) (and Amanda Root, and really all the cast - but Hinds won me completely)... but I'd like to see someone try. I agree completely about the running around - especially that of Mrs. Smith, since she was after all supposed to be an invalid... Yet there she was jogging along the streets of Bath. *shudder*

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Fair comments... Nice to have other opinion :) Amanda Root was amazing as Anne!!

So, of not Persuasion, which do you think should be re made next?

message 23: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments Mansfield Park - I haven't seen a really good adaptation yet.

message 24: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments It has to be Mansfield Park for me as I don’t really think there’s a great version.

I’m very fond of the Sylvestra Le Touzel version and it’s certainly the most accurate one I have seen, but it doesn’t do justice to the book. The film version with Frances O’Connor was a travesty, and Billie Piper… well it was an amusing adaptation and fun to watch but what was it about the ITV drama’s that had them all running about chasing each other at the end of them?

message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (luluqueen) | 3 comments I would say Persuasion since its one of the oldest film and the main character doesn't play her part well. P&P, Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility and Emma all have newer versions that are well done but Persuasion is lacking.

message 26: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I agree. MP need a decent length one which is more faithful to the book.
Persuasion - a longer one would be nice. (otherwise 2007 pleases me)
NA - again a longer one would be nice. (otherwise 2007 pleases me)
P&P, Emma, S&S got good ones of decent lengths too. :)

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 17 comments Louise wrote: "It has to be Mansfield Park for me as I don’t really think there’s a great version.

The film version with Frances O’Connor was a travesty,"

I think that version is one of the most misunderstood adaptations ever. It's not meant to be a faithful adaptation of the book, but also of Jane Austens letters and other writings.
As a movie it is really very good, imho, and it also opens up a lot of doors to Austen interpretation.
But in being faithful to the book I'd always say the 80s version is best (of what we've been offered).

But MP definitely needs a decent and faithful adaptation, preferably a mini series. (While the topic is very different, I think an adaptation in the style of the last "Bleak House" could do wonders to help understand the plot and questions raised in MP. Good actors wouldn't hurt also...)

message 28: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 22 comments I'd have to say either Persuasion or Northanger Abbey!! They're my 3rd & 4th favorites of JA... behind, of course, P&P and S&S... Would LOVE to see film adaptations done in the style as with the movies featuring Keira Knightley and Emma Thompson :)

message 29: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes i agree!! Need longer versions of them!!
And agree about a series for MP !!

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley Goodness, how did I miss this discussion. Yes, a better version of Persuasion (my favorite) as none of the movies realllllly stuck to the story. Why is the friend in Bath and her connection to the story eliminated or blown over?
I want to see them do the Watsons.
And off subject, I'd like to see some of the stories written by other authors about the secondary characters brought to the screen.
Patg

message 31: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments That's an idea.
Like the Amanda Grange diary series about the heros side of things.

message 32: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley Soph,
Yes, Captain Wentworth's diary.
Or Charlotte Collins' story.
Or that wonderful version of Lydia by June Odiwe.
Patg

message 33: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I agree. Except that I would think there would be enough Janeites to make it worth while. ;)
But otherwise, MP isn't the best one of her novels to make accessible to a wider audience ... Which is a shame!

message 34: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments It is a wonderful plot and it would need to be a miniseries!!!

message 35: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 34 comments The guy who plays BBC Sherlock should be the new Mr. Darcy.

I am right!

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 36: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Ohhhhh interesting idea.... :D

message 37: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (keykeeper) | 3 comments Mansfield Park!:)

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan (bromiegirl) | 3 comments Any one of Austen's novels would make great adapations again!I wouldnt mind if Andrew Davies or Julian Fellowes tried to make a movie adapation of Lady Susan or Sandition :D ~Susan

message 39: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley I think someone tried to finish Sanditon, and I think it would be a very interesting story for the screen--if done well. I just want them to stick to the time period correctly. I hate it when I hear modern bad grammar and slang.
There are two versions of murder at Mansfield Park in books. One has Mary Crawford as the protag. That would be interesting.
Patg
www.patgulley.com
Downsized To Death

message 40: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I agree Alissa and thanks Patricia
And Susan. He should!! He does them well!!

message 41: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Wow. That's an interesting point. !! Thanks :) and I think I sort of agree in a way...

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine (CTownsley) | 10 comments Shelley, you have blown my mind with your genius. Benedict Cumberbatch would make a perfect Darcy.

On subject, I have to say that I wish all Austen novels could be remade into long, detailed, completely loyal adaptations. It's not that I dislike all previous adaptations. On the contrary, there are a few (namely 1995 S&S and 2005 P&P--this is possibly not a popular opinion...) that I have watched literally too many times to count. I think the problem is that some of the older versions are lacking in real acting chops, while newer versions take too many liberties with the story. Directors/Screenwriters seem to think that Jane's plots are too well-worn as they are, and need revamping to hold our attention, but honestly, I wish so much for a true adaptation coupled with great casting, acting, and cinematography. Perhaps I ask too much :)

message 43: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I agree. !! All of them. Like totally loyal in every way and not made modern!! Include everything - however long it turns out to be ;)

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine (CTownsley) | 10 comments Soph- I'm sure I could spend days of my time in absolute contentment if such versions existed :P

message 45: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments So could I Christine!!
And Steph - it does take a while to get into and this is more about the Story of the minor characters. It took me a while to get into but afterwards I loved it!!

message 46: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes do!!! Then I recommend Emma, or actually Persuasion!! And of course Northanger Abbey sometime!

message 47: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Oh how wonderful!! I cannot wait to Discuss!!! Did you manage to see S&S 2008 yet?

message 48: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 63 comments I loved Persuasion with Ciaran Hinds as Captain Wentworth. I would LOVE to see Persuasion remade though with Richard Armitage as Captain Wentworth. He would need a serious tan though to look windswept and like he spent years out on the sea. Daniella Denby-Ashe can be Anne. I love those two actors together.

message 49: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 63 comments I would also love to see Richard Armitage as Mr. Darcy.

message 50: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments ohhh nice suggestions!!

« previous 1