Literary Exploration discussion

Three Bags Full
This topic is about Three Bags Full
The Book-Club Books > March 2012 - Three Bags Full

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Sheep! Glorious Sheep!

March brings us to, perhaps, one of the more different books we've had. Originally released in Germany this book tells the story of a flock of sheep with a difference. They are out to solve the murder of their shepherd.

Read and discuss!

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I've been wanting to read this book since Melki suggested it. I've had it sitting on my shelf since January and held off so I could read it with the group. Looking forward to finally reading it.

Janice (janaz28) I have got the German addition and started reading it years ago! I never quite finished it also I must say that I remember liking it a lot. Now I can´t decided if I should get an English addition too, since that would be more convenient when discussing the book or if I should go ahead and read the German version...
Well, I am most certainly looking forward to reading the book together!

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Just how many Germans do we have in this group? :P

message 5: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
My first inpression is that it reminds me of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time in the way that it's an unexpected detective and they have an interesting take on the world. I also like that one of the sheeps name is Miss Maple, kind of a homage to Agatha Christie

Tasha I want a sheep. Not just any sheep, I want Mopple the Whale!

Knowledge Lost wrote: "My first inpression is that it reminds me of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time in the way that it's an unexpected detective and they have an interesting take on the worl..."

The Dog in the nightime book, Is that a different take on the Sherlock Holmes story?

Tasha Nevermind. After I posted i got the brilliant idea to click on the link and look for myself. It looks interesting.

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Kim wrote: "Just how many Germans do we have in this group? :P"
Well, Janice, me and I think Jenny. And a few who can speak a bit German, as far as I know.

I read the book two years ago and really, REALLY liked it! But I borrowed it from my aunt, so I'm probably going to buy it now. And the sequel too (yesh! There's a sequel!)
My edition will be in German, because I usually buy my books in their original language. We'll see if there are any problems with names/places/whatever.

Sandie | 39 comments I started it a couple days ago and I really love how they think about religion. I could not stop laughing. I am really looking forward to how this story gets flushed out.

message 10: by Marlene (last edited Mar 01, 2012 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments If you like the religion thing, wait til Othello visits "God". (He goes to the church and "meets" the pastor). xD
That's my all-time favorite scene!

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Baaaaaaaa

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Good evening to you too. Who of the sheep are you exactly, if I might ask? xD

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Well I'm only a third the way through (oh and it's morning here :P) but I'm going for Othello

message 14: by Lea (last edited Mar 01, 2012 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea | 11 comments Reading this book makes me so very glad I found this group! I would have never found something this good (or unusual) on my own.

And if I say I identify most with Melmoth, does that reveal too much about me?

Melki | 205 comments Whew! I'm glad people are enjoying this book, since I recommended it without having read it. (I hope to start next week!)
Two different women mentioned the title to me, and since they both have PhDs...I figured there must be something to it.

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments And I backed you up. ;)

Melki | 205 comments Yes, you did!
What is the sequel called? I can't find a listing on Goodreads.

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments In German it's Garou: Ein Schaf-Thriller. I don't know if it's released in English yet. (It feels so damn good to finally have an advantage of being german!) xD

Melki | 205 comments Mein gott - it's not in English.
Is this one from the wolf's point of view?

message 20: by Marlene (last edited Mar 02, 2012 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments No. They move with their shepherd and hear stories of a werewolf from a herd of goats, who are their new neighbours. First they don't think it's true, but then a human is killed by the "werewolf" and the sheep try to protect their new shepherd by finding the culprit. I haven't read it yet, so that's about all I know.

message 21: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I've started it - really like the sheep's eye view of things.

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (leeees) I'm still trying to finish Persuasion before I get started on Three Bags Full, but based on these comments I am looking forward to it- Perhaps this is the motivation I needed to get me through Persuasion!

message 23: by Michelle_Mck (new)

Michelle_Mck | 2 comments I am up to page 100 and I'm liking the book but not loving it. Hopefully it sucks me in a little more

message 24: by Brandie (last edited Mar 06, 2012 08:51PM) (new)

Brandie Sump | 36 comments I really love this book because its a fun read.

Parsa | 68 comments I just finished it. Such a beautiful book. I loved it when they made a sheepish face

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments As I said, I read it once, but now I bought it. Going to pick it up from the bookstore tomorrow. :D

Veljko (_vxf_) | 52 comments Marlene wrote: "Good evening to you too. Who of the sheep are you exactly, if I might ask? xD"

I have no doubt I would be Mopple!!!

message 28: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I'm not sure which of the sheep I would be. Part Miss Maple, part Othello, part Mopple, no part Zora. I have no head for heights.

message 29: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
I thought this book was only average, too much padding and too cutesy for my taste.

message 30: by A.W. (last edited Mar 08, 2012 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.W. Wilson | 8 comments Reading this novel this underlines the benefit of this group - the fact that I would never have considered reading a book like this had it not been the one selected for discussion. I'm only halfway through but I'm really enjoying it. It is cutesy, but I'm going with it.

Just going to mention a couple of bits of the story, they're not actual 'spoilers' but if anyone doesn't want to know anything at all about the book before reading then look away now!

I love the sheep perspective on the humans and I couldn't help but smile at the description of them all 'gathering round' to listen to the shepherd read to them.

Mopple the Whale is the best! Nice trick by the author; Miss Maple doesn't have the luxury of a notepad but she's got Mopple's memory.

I've not solved the case yet though... Baa.

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Did anybody of you think about what the sheep will do, when they know who the murderer is? They can't just tell the humans. ;)
That's going to be funny!

And I like the sheep point of view at humans too. Especially their thoughts about "god".

message 32: by A.W. (last edited Mar 08, 2012 09:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.W. Wilson | 8 comments Good point! Exactly what are they going to do when they solve the case? Anybody who already knows, please resist the temptation to say here.

Oh yes, God - as they say, he keeps talking about himself!

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments I would find it strange too, if somebody spoke in the third persona about himself.
And I know what they will do and I must say it is an awesome idea! But I won't spoil it for you. Just making you curious. ^^
(I'm mean, hoho)

message 34: by A.W. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.W. Wilson | 8 comments Oh I see, you're flashing your knowledge around! Thanks for not spoiling, and it's nice to know that it's something to look forward to.

I am very curious, you win.

message 35: by A.W. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.W. Wilson | 8 comments I'm thinking the cliff-edge might play a part, hmmm...

You're absolutely right in your sheeps-eye-view thoughts.

One obvious parallel would be Animal Farm - but I'm sure everyone's thought of that.

message 36: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea | 11 comments There were so many good scenes in this novel- I think my favorite was when the sheep were trying to figure out what going to Europe would be like and after the lead ram disappointed them by pointing out that there was no place where only apples grew one of the other sheep decided that traveling must be like being shorn- a bit uncomfortable and weird but refreshing and new, alight with the possibilities of spring.
What was your favorite part?

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Actually, I did, but Animal Farm is a lot more serious. Three Bags Full is a book you read just for fun. And funny it is.
A little tip for anyone interested (not a real spoiler, but you decide)
(view spoiler)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments My favorite scene: Othello in the church.

message 39: by A.W. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.W. Wilson | 8 comments Yes, Animal Farm is indeed a lot more serious and deals a with huge historical event, but I thought the way in which the animals viewed the humans at the beginning at least, had similarities with 3BF.

Lea, I can't comment on my favourite part yet because I haven't finished but I did enjoy Mopple in the mist!

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments It's my all time favorite! Imagine you were the pastor...
I better stop, or I'll be laughing again. That was absolutely priceless!

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments I just found out where the title comes from. "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep", a nursery rhyme. I never heard that before, but it's fitting, somehow.

Jessa (ufeelcrunchy) I loved this. It was whimsical, silly, and complicated at once. What a bizarre perspective! It made me smile and I was excited that I did not know whodunnit. I love that.

I really enjoyed Zora, I'm not sure why, but she was one of my favorite sheep.

Sandie | 39 comments I was thrown for a loop too on whodunnit and I'm sure it was because the sheep were also thrown for a loop. I was as confused as they were when I realized what happened. The sheeps' perspective on life and humans was really amazing, and I couldn't get enough of it. I am really glad I read this story and cannot wait for the second book to be translated into English.

Jessa (ufeelcrunchy) Sandie wrote: "I was thrown for a loop too on whodunnit and I'm sure it was because the sheep were also thrown for a loop. I was as confused as they were when I realized what happened. The sheeps' perspective on ..."

Sandie,

They are making more? This is exciting!

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments The next one's calles "Garou", but it has only been published in German so far. Lucky me! :D

Garou: Ein Schaf-Thriller

message 46: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea | 11 comments Othello in church was pretty darn awesome, you're right. And the scene where Zora is talking to the other flock and the other flock's ram tries to explain they are fodder was just brilliant- how she loved facing the abyss and realized the other ram was the bravest sheep, facing an abyss every day- just mesmerizing.

I really loved the sheep's obsession with eating- it reminded me of my own dog, who loves me almost as much as she loves eating- another brilliant part was the fact that all the sheep instantly devoured George's garden but then felt guilty about it- I can totally see my dog doing something like that.

What about the part where they discover 'the grass' that the humans are so interested in? I laughed out loud at that part.

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Lea wrote: "Othello in church was pretty darn awesome, you're right. And the scene where Zora is talking to the other flock and the other flock's ram tries to explain they are fodder was just brilliant- how s..."

Yeah, it was hilarious! Both the garden-eating and grass-finding part.
I can totally see my dog doing something like that too. Eating something and then looking at me with those big eyes saying "I won't do it again, forgive me?"
There are just so many great scenes in the novel! That's partly the reason why I like it so much.

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) Still waiting for my copy to arrive. Will have to wait until Monday, now...

Jessa (ufeelcrunchy) Lea wrote: "Othello in church was pretty darn awesome, you're right. And the scene where Zora is talking to the other flock and the other flock's ram tries to explain they are fodder was just brilliant- how s..."

Lea, I loved that part! I think it was only second to the part where the priest is talking to Othello in confession until he realizes it isn't a person but a sheep on the other end!

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I have been looking for a new club to join on Goodreads. I've taken a look at your discussions and the book you are are reading this month which looks like one of the most ridiculous ever so I think this is the club for me. Off to the library to get the book. Can't wait to hear about the flock's adventures.

« previous 1