Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's February Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments 1. Land of Painted Caves, Jean Auel. Skimmed a lot of this one. Reading 20% was plenty to get the whole story.

2. Second Son, Lee Child. Short story that explained where the grown Reacher started.

3. Stone Cold, David Baldacci. Third in the Camel club series.

4. Deadman's Bluff, James Swain. Second half of poker tournament scam.

5. Running Dark, Joseph Heywood. Flashback to start of Grady Service's career as Michigan fish cop.

6. Killer Swell, Jeff Shelby. Surfing dick gets involved with drug lord. His snippy attitude works because he's stilll in his 20's.

7. A Hard Ticket Home, David Housewright. First in the Mac McKenzie series, and a LOT better than his other seies character.

8. The Watchman, Robert Crais. I've been saving these for quite a while but finally started in on Elvis and Joe.

9. Sandman Slim, Richard Kadrey. Kind of a dark Harry Dresden type book.

10. The Rope, Nevada Barr. Another flashback to the start of a career. Lots of action, and a good reason NOT to go back to Glen Canyon.

11.Start Shooting, Charlie Newton. Set in Chicago, will almost certainly be one of my best of the year reads.

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3047 comments Impressive list, but it's a leap year, you could have done more.

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Start Shooting looks good, even to someone not too familiar with Chicago.

Hope you like Elvis and Joe. I really enjoy that series.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Nice list! How did you like Noah Braddock? I read LIQUID SMOKE, the most recent book, in December and really liked it. VERY dark.

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Barry wrote: "Impressive list, but it's a leap year, you could have done more."

Ah Barry, you remembered.

message 6: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Marcy wrote: "Start Shooting looks good, even to someone not too familiar with Chicago.
Hope you like Elvis and Joe. I really enjoy that series."

I did like the first Elvis and Joe, Marcy, and I'm sure I'll continue reading them.

message 7: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Melodie wrote: "Nice list! How did you like Noah Braddock? I read LIQUID SMOKE, the most recent book, in December and really liked it. VERY dark."

Thanks, Mel. I started Liquid smoke this afternoon and like it so far.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3682 comments Barry wrote: "Impressive list, but it's a leap year, you could have done more."

and what's your excuse, young man?

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3047 comments I am satisfied with my readings for the month. 14 books/28 days. Next month I will look around, see if I can find a life.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Good month Dan! I am reading The Rope: An Anna Pigeon Novel, will switch to the audio version tomorrow. It started out pretty dark when I first picked up the hardback.
Your experience with The Land of Painted Caves sounds like the way I will eventually read it someday. I have heard it is rather wordy for the story. I loved the documentary film on the cave that inspired her and enjoyed the other books in the series.

message 11: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Ann, "Rather wordy" is a gross understatement IMO.