Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives (maybe Revisit) > BMDC: March 2012 BMDC

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (new)

Sashana We'd like to know...
1. If you've read a book listed, and if you'll see it.

2. If you've read the book and seen the movie:
a. Did you like the book?
b. Did you like the movie?
c. Did the movie do the book justice

*You don't have to answer these questions, but it's a nice way to get the conversation going.
*********************************************************************************

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
In Theaters: March 2nd
Trailer: YouTube ʘ Yahoo
description description

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach
In Theaters: March 9th
description description

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment by Steve Harvey (Movie Title: Think Like a Man)
description description

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Movie Title: John Carter)
description description

Snow White by Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm (Movie Title: Mirror Mirror)
In Theaters: March 16th
description description

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
In Theaters: March 23rd
description description

The Pirates! Band of Misfits by Gideon Defoe
In Theaters: March 30th
description

message 2: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 248 comments I did a unit with the kids on Producers, Consumers, & Decomposers .For the unit we read The Lorax.
I think it really put this in perspective for the kids. We're going to do a field trip and see it when it comes out.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Awesome! I love The Lorax and one of the science teachers while I was student teaching did that also! I hope you all have fun on the field trip.

message 4: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I love Dr. Suess in general so I'm super excited to see the Lorax, although I'll probably wait for it on Netflix.

Loved, loved, loved the hunger games and am scared to see the movie. The actors all look too old!

John Carter and Mirror Mirror look like interesting movies but I've never read the books.

message 5: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'll probably see Think Like a Man and I will definitely be seeing The Hunger Games. The trailer for Mirror Mirror looks disappointing, I expect more from Julia Roberts.

message 6: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Lorax looks good. Think I'd get in trouble if I kidnapped someone's kid to use as a decoy to go to that movie? LOL!

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Nahhhh. I do it all the time!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Kidding...of course... :)

message 9: by Lisa Kay (new)

message 10: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (mschuett) | 4 comments I cannot wait to see "Hunger Games." I almost cancelled my trip to Spain to make sure I get to see it when I comes out opening day!

message 11: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Miranda wrote: "I cannot wait to see "Hunger Games." I almost cancelled my trip to Spain to make sure I get to see it when I comes out opening day!"

LOL. I sincerely hope you didn't.

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Gail | 2 comments The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

Cannot wait for the movie! I actually bought the People magazine out now so I could read all about the it. Anxiously waiting!

message 13: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Brenda wrote: "The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

Cannot wait for the movie! I actually bought the People magazine out now so I could read all about the it. Anxiously waiting!"

Sounds serious, Brenda! Entertainment Weekly Magazine has tons of info about the movie. If you can buy a copy of that magazine or look at the website then I'm sure you'd be able to find even more things.

message 14: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 08, 2012 06:10PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Brenda, I have to get that for my daughter. She'll love it. I got her hooked on the book a year after it came out after months of trying to get her to read it. Finally, I convinced my nieces to read it and they convinced my daughter. Now my daughter asks me what I recommend and raids my bookshelves. lol

She also get a kick out of telling people how she started reading the series years ago. Too funny.

message 15: by Sashana (last edited Mar 08, 2012 06:14PM) (new)

Sashana Did anyone hear the official song for the movie - Taylor Swift ft. The Civil Wars - Safe & Sound? Do you like it? Does it go with the movie?

message 16: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments My favorite book has always been the Lorax so that's one I am planning on seeing. I just saw a preview for Mirror, Mirror and I am really intrigued. As for Hunger Games, I really enjoyed the first in the trilogy so if anything, I'd see the first movie.

Then again...I can't remember the last movie I watched...

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments The song is ok. I never would have associated it with the Hunger Games, but I wouldn't have cast Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss either. And to be more negative, lol, I'm not a Taylor Swift fan. BUT, I do like the Civil Wars. :)

message 18: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Rachel wrote: "The song is ok. I never would have associated it with the Hunger Games, but I wouldn't have cast Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss either. And to be more negative, lol, I'm not a Taylor Swift fan. BUT, ..."

I think it's a good song for Katniss and Rue (view spoiler) or Katniss and Prim. I think Civil Wars' voice should have been more prevalent. They harmonized good though because Taylor's voice doesn't usually sound that strong.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Sashana wrote: "Did anyone hear the official song for the movie - Taylor Swift ft. The Civil Wars - Safe & Sound? Do you like it? Does it go with the movie?"

I have LOVED Joy Williams since before she was in the band The Civil Wars. She used to be a Christian singer. I have never heard Taylor Swift sing a song like this. I actually like it but wouldn't think to associate it with the movie.

message 20: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I just saw the Hunger Games and I really enjoyed it. My two friends said it was boring.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Boring? Did the read the books?

message 22: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Yes they did. Apparently it didn't have enough "action" for them.

message 23: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Did you see it yet, Rachel?

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I saw it yesterday and thought it was a really good representation of the book. I really liked it.

message 25: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I hope a lot of people had their doubts silenced.

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Yeah, my neighbor is one of the nay sayers and frankly, I found myself getting annoyed with her because she hadn't even seen it yet.

message 27: by Sashana (new)

Sashana My sister walked out in the middle of the movie because she didn't understand what was going on. Mind you she didn't even bother to read the book.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Sashana wrote: "Did you see it yet, Rachel?"

No, I haven't. Probably wait for it to come out on DVD/RedBox/Netflix, or cable. I don't see many movies because I can't afford it. Cost $8.50. That's a meal for me. Lol.

message 29: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I didn't really want to see this movie until I found out that Woody Harrelson and Lenny Kravitz were in it. (Look, I'm middle aged, so these things are what makes me excited over the movie) I hope my son picks this movie to see this weekend.

message 30: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I saw Hunger Games last Friday and actually liked it. I liked how they interpreted the book and love the "behind the games" scenes which weren't a part of the book. I wish they characters didn't look so old though! (I will complain about this forever)

message 31: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Shay wrote: "I didn't really want to see this movie until I found out that Woody Harrelson and Lenny Kravitz were in it. (Look, I'm middle aged, so these things are what makes me excited over the movie) I hope..."

LOL No shame in admitting that, Shay.

message 32: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Jex wrote: "I saw Hunger Games last Friday and actually liked it. I liked how they interpreted the book and love the "behind the games" scenes which weren't a part of the book. I wish they characters didn't lo..."

I know you were skeptical so I'm glad you liked it, Jex. Have you seen kids these days? They are huge! Must be all the growth hormones.

message 33: by An (new)

An Iagree, the charcters weren't true to their age.

OTher news, Iwatched John carter yesterday, and it was a good movie. I haven't read the book though so I have nothing to copare too. :/

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.