Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > Favorite Stephen King book

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David jones | 166 comments I just thought I would post this topic thing up for people to say there favorite Stephen King book. I know mine is the shining. That book is amazing.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments The Stand is more or less my favorite by him but The Green Mile may be tied for that spot.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri | 36 comments The Stand and then close behind, The Talisman. Third would be 11/22/63 but that just may be because I just finished in January.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 24 comments My favourite is Christine, closely followed by IT, The Shining and Different Seasons.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Shoda (mrk1) | 4 comments The Stand by far.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Shoda (mrk1) | 4 comments Although I enjoy all his books.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments The Stand, hands down. Honourable mention goes to Bag of Bones, Rose Madder, It, and the Dark Tower series.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 169 comments Salem's Lot and Pet Sematary. Those are my top two. The Shining was pretty cool too.

message 9: by Leonard (new)

Leonard | 7 comments So far it'd have to be Skeleton Crew, possibly soon to be It. I haven't read Bag of Bones, The Stand, or the Dark Tower series yet so it could change in due time!
The Shining was also good, but it didn't impress me as much as I thought. Perhaps thats just the movie speaking. Night Shift had some pretty memorable stories as well but some just fell flat...hard. And Different Seasons is probably in my top 5 King book list as well.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Shoda (mrk1) | 4 comments Did no body enjoy his first book: Carrie?

message 11: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscompetermeredith) | 14 comments Meh. It was a first book. I read it when I was younger and I liked it. I read again a few years ago and found it stilted.

message 12: by David (new)

David jones | 166 comments Oh, I loved Carrie as well. That is really good.

message 13: by James (new)

James West (jawest) | 6 comments This is a tough one because there are so many great ones! I have to say The Talisman. That book is amazing :)
The Stand would be a close second.

message 14: by Kilgallen (new)

Kilgallen | 17 comments My favorite King novel is Insomnia

Short story is Survivor Type

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Mallet (lmallet) The Stand

message 16: by Raven (new)

Raven | 6 comments The green Mile and Under the Dome, The Long Walk and Rage. I like alot of his books, but these are the ones that stand out for me.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments The Stand, no doubts!

message 18: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Casey | 2 comments Night Shift by Stephen King
"Night Shift," the short story collection. Great book just to pick up once in a while, reread one or two of the stories. I especially like "One for the Road" (vampires in a snowstorm), "Gray Matter" (guy gets mutated by bad beer), "Trucks," "Graveyard Shift" (rats - and worse - in the walls, movie version is underrated), and "The Mangler" (possessed machine). "Children of the Corn," somehow, has "inspired" nine movies by my count, including two directly based on the original story (and both of them are awful).

message 19: by David (new)

David My favorites (and I can't really say I have just one) would be "Eyes of the Dragon" followed closely by "The Talisman" and DTS.

Am I the only one who thinks "Eyes of the Dragon" is seriously underrated? Perhaps because its target audience is "young adult," I don't think it gets the credit or discussion it deserves.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments David, I loved Eyes of the Dragon! I just read it recently for the first time, and was really sorry I had put it off! Good stuff! :)

message 21: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Kathy wrote: "David, I loved Eyes of the Dragon! I just read it recently for the first time, and was really sorry I had put it off! Good stuff! :)"

Hi, Kathy!

I love The Eyes of The Dragon, as well. Great stuff, IMO! Congratulations on recently reading it, BTW!

message 22: by K. (new)

K. (karenbooks1) | 16 comments There are so many, it's hard to say. Pet Sematary is at the top of my list. But so is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ineedlu) | 8 comments oh my goodness... that is a very hard question, indeed!
I would have to say either "The Tommyknockers" or "Shawshank Redemption", as those are the ones I've read the most. This is a very difficult topic! There's too many good ones!

message 24: by Bridget Hooks (new)

Bridget Hooks | 2 comments Ok I'm going with The Stand as well. Thing is so many try post apocalyptic and end of the world so hard, but he did it in 1100 pages and made it look easy. The guys awesome when it comes to telling a story with character detail... Makes you think you're in the story yourself!

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ineedlu) | 8 comments Bridget wrote: "Ok I'm going with The Stand as well. Thing is so many try post apocalyptic and end of the world so hard, but he did it in 1100 pages and made it look easy. The guys awesome when it comes to telling..."

Okay, so, when I was a teenager, I absorbed Stephen King books, like they were going out of style, and I did read "The Stand". Whilst I was reading it, I did come down with the flu... it was scary. I had to put it aside for awhile. It was too real for me, at the time. Just thought that might make you giggle.

message 26: by Kit★ (last edited Apr 26, 2012 12:29PM) (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I was thinking about this the other day, and there's just no way I can pick just one. My top 5 is (in no particular order b/c I love them all too much to rank)
~*The Talisman
~*The Stand
~*The Eyes of the Dragon
~*It
~* The Dark Tower Series

Runners-up are Insomnia and Desperation.
As for short stories and novellas, there's just sooo many I enjoy I'd never be able to narrow it down, and they're scattered over all the different collections, so I couldn't even pick a favorite collection. :)

message 27: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Behling (MattyKB) | 109 comments Rose Madder

message 28: by Sam (new)

Sam (samramirez) | 13 comments Currently 11.22.63 :D its wow i'm in love with the novel, haven't finished it yet but damn it is awesome

message 29: by Richie (new)

Richie  (rdevotie) | 34 comments "The Shining" but 11/22/63 is a close second.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1006 comments I haven't read Rose Madder or 11/22/63 yet but the talisman was agreat book.

message 31: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 152 comments I know it's not one book but it's easily The dark tower series. Never read a book from him I did not like though.

message 32: by Richie (new)

Richie  (rdevotie) | 34 comments I'am gona have to read the dark tower series, heard so many good things about it.

message 33: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 152 comments It really is great. My first Sk book was the gunslinger. I wish I would have read some of his other books first though. Like the stand, Insomnia, salems lot, and The talisman.

message 34: by Richie (new)

Richie  (rdevotie) | 34 comments Ethan wrote: "It really is great. My first Sk book was the gunslinger. I wish I would have read some of his other books first though. Like the stand, Insomnia, salems lot, and The talisman."

I know, i have only read like 5 king books, so I have a lot left to read of his.

message 35: by Malina (new)

Malina | 304 comments The Stand

message 36: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1006 comments I read the first two gunslinger novels and wasn't impressed, I guess I should read the rest, hopefully they wil better.

message 37: by Susan (last edited Aug 10, 2014 03:38PM) (new)

Susan (edgarsden) | 88 comments That's a no-brainer: Rage my absolute SK favourite, followed by Different Seasons, The Stand, The Long Walk and Salem's Lot.

message 38: by Donald (new)

Donald Scott (writeondon) Have been saying the same thing for over 30 years, and it still applies: 'Salem's Lot is his scariest, The Stand is his best.

message 39: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 232 comments SK's magnum opus, The Stand, of course.

message 40: by Lee (new)

Lee Brown | 5 comments I am torn between two.

'The Talisman' was terrific and stuck with me for a long time after reading it. The blend of fantasy and horror was great.

'It' is my other choice, an epic story of growing up and being faced with unimaginable horrors - my growing pains were never as bad as that which faced our heroes in that story.

message 41: by Lazaros (new)

Lazaros Karavasilis (lazaruskaravasilis) | 7 comments The Shining.Really teriffying...

Read me two times | 56 comments IT, hands down. closely followed by The stand and The long walk. Pet cemetery and Salem's lot are also great.

message 43: by Dave (new)

Dave (big_daddy_d) Donald wrote: "Have been saying the same thing for over 30 years, and it still applies: 'Salem's Lot is his scariest, The Stand is his best."

Agree 100%!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.