Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) Fifty Shades of Grey discussion

Fifty Shades vs "MOTU" ??

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 29, 2012 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephanie Pangan So, I've only read the Fifty Shades series- And LOVED it all!
But I keep hearing about another story that FS is really similar to, or in some cases I've heard its a "copy" of.. I know it somehow involves the characters from Twilight (!?!?), which makes me more confused on how it is in any way similar to FS. What's the deal??

Sarah I understand you. I've read both Twilight serie and Fifty Shades and I hate it when people compare any thing to Twilight. BUT you would have to read(not the movie) Twilight to really understand and see how similar it is.

These are the things I know are in the Twilight books:
1. Bella is always bitting her lower lips.
2. Bella is very clumsy(Have you notice how in FS Ana is only clumsy at first but not in the second or third book?)
3. Bella always blush (she's pale complexion), is very slender and a brunette.
4. Bella always at Awww when she sees Edward, she doesn't understand why Edward is attracted to her, she somewhat insecure.
5. Bella doesn't care about money or being rich. Edward buys a car for Bella.
6. Edward is somewhat stalking Bella.
7. Edward is very possessive, and always over do it especially when it comes to her safety.
8. Edward is rich.
9. Somebody is always trying to kill Bella.
10. Edward freaks out when he finds out Bella's is pregnant but eventually comes around.

I believe me hate to compare but The character's traits are too similar.

Diane Stephanie wrote: "So, I've only read the Fifty Shades series- And LOVED it all!
But I keep hearing about another story that FS is really similar to, or in some cases I've heard its a "copy" of.. I know it somehow ..."

Fifty shades IS MOTU.
Fifty shades was originally an all-human alternate universe twilight fanfic. The author just changed the names and did minimal editing for it to be publishable.

Shawn MOTU was a popular Twilight fanfic but in my opinion it wasn't even a good one. The plot line was weak and the inconsistencies were terrible.

Stephanie Pangan Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
I was getting really annoyed looking up "Fifty Shades" and having Robert Pattinson always pop up. :/ He's just totally not what I would picture as Christina Grey- At all.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "So, I've only read the Fifty Shades series- And LOVED it all!
But I keep hearing about another story that FS is really similar to, or in some cases I've heard its a "copy" of.. ..."

Into an alternate universe where Edward is a sucessful buisnessman? :/

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Stephanie wrote: "Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
I was getting really annoyed looking up "Fifty Shades" and having Robert Pattinson always pop up. :/ He's just totally not what I would picture as Christina Grey..."

typo i think lol Christina Grey :)

Diane Kagama wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
I was getting really annoyed looking up "Fifty Shades" and having Robert Pattinson always pop up. :/ He's just totally not what I would picture..."

Yep, Edward could be anyone in these all human alternate universe stories. Businessman is a popular Edward trope; off the top of my head I can think of a dozen stories where Edward is a businessman.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
I was getting really annoyed looking up "Fifty Shades" and having Robert Pattinson always pop up. :/ He's just totally not what ..."

He would have leverage at least.

"Accept the merger or ill bite you"

Diane Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
I was getting really annoyed looking up "Fifty Shades" and having Robert Pattinson always pop up. :/ ..."

Hahahaha, well he's human in MOTU and in a lot of other fics. But yeah, there are fics with vampire-businessmen; I just haven't come across ones that use that particular business tactic (yet). xD

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
I was getting really annoyed looking up "Fifty Shades" and having Robert Pattinson alw..."

I clicked on this link to find out what "MOTU" was,but so far I still have no idea. :/

Diane Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
I was getting really annoyed looking up "Fifty Shades" and..."

MOTU is short for "Master of the Universe". That was Fifty Shades's title as a twific.

Lola Ren Have anyone read Gabriel's inferno? now this book is very similar to Fifty shades of grey...

Ellen W-S Just watching NBC Today show, they are going to have a segment on 50 Shades of Grey! Talking about how EL James book being devoured by women, that was the teaser anyway.....if you cant catch it in the next half hour, maybe it will be on nbc website.
Check it out!

Sarah Now "Gabriel'Inferno" I loved! The writing was so much better and the book was well put together. Everything was consistent and made sense. And the next one is coming out soon.
NBC! With all due respect to anybody that loved Fifty Shades, in my humble opinion I didn't think the work quality of the book deserve that much attention and the five stars. But if you loved the better for you.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
I was getting really annoyed looking up "Fi..."

*facepalm* I must be having a sever case of friday-itis because I knew about the "master of the universe" thing.

Embarrasing...

Stephanie Pangan Ellen wrote: "Just watching NBC Today show.."

I didn't catch that, but isn't the plan for the books to be a mini-series type of thing rather than 3 actual movies? And uh, NBC?.. I figured more like HBO or Stars with how sexual the story is. NBC may dull the entire thing up!

Sarah wrote: "Sarah Now "Gabriel'Inferno" I loved!.."

Ahh, I really want to read that book as well! The description of it sounds really similar to Fifty Shades too. lol

Ellen W-S Stephanie wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Just watching NBC Today show.."

I didn't catch that, but isn't the plan for the books to be a mini-series type of thing rather than 3 actual movies? And uh, NBC?.. I figured more li..."

I think I crossed the conversations here. There was a segment on NBC Today show this morning saying that women in suburbia are devouring this book FSOG and they discussed whether it was harmful for women to be reading this stuff. They also did an interview of a book group of women in Boca Raton who all looked dolled up like The Real Housewives of....Yikes! They were not representative of me and my taste but what they said was that this book jazzed up their sex lives in their marriage. Anyway, in short, I am sure you could go online to NBC to view this but I found the whole segment pretty lame. The host was pretty appalled that women were reading erotica with BDSM. DIdn't seem like she had read the books.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the GR discussion about FSOG being made into a movie. That discussion was totally different than my NBC Today show segment shout out. Sorry for any confusion I caused!

message 19: by Andre (new)

Andre SanThomas http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/4659025...

You've got to love a discussion by people that didn't even read the thing. Of course this is going to sell a million more of the books either way.

Ellen W-S You are so right!

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Ellen wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Just watching NBC Today show.."

I didn't catch that, but isn't the plan for the books to be a mini-series type of thing rather than 3 actual movies? And uh, NBC?....."

I cant say I like that.

Diane Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
I was getting r..."

Haha, that's okay, it happens. :)

Lola Ren wrote: "Have anyone read Gabriel's inferno? now this book is very similar to Fifty shades of grey..."

This also used to be a twilight fanfic entitled "University of Edward Masen."

Stephanie Pangan Ellen wrote: I think I crossed the conversations here. "

So Sorry! Yes, I totally got your messaged mixed with another messaged from a different post I read prior. Anyway, in regards to what you saw on the Today Show.. It's a bit entertaining to hear of how offended some people are about this book. The whole BDSM acts being seen as extremely harmful to women.. As if to say women don't have enough sense to know what they can and can't handle. Pff, typical opinions of people who obviously never read the book or totally missed the main point of the story.. *sigh*

+

Lola Ren wrote: "Have anyone read Gabriel's inferno? Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: This also used to be a twilight fanfic entitled "University of Edward Masen."

No way!? Well, these fanfic writers are pretty damn good! I'm going to try everything I can to ignore that the original roles are "Edward & Bella" though.. (lol) Kind of kills the mood the book is giving. No offense, Twilight fans! :P

Diane Stephanie wrote: "No way!? Well, these fanfic writers are pretty damn good! I'm going to try everything I can to ignore that the original roles are "Edward & Bella" though.. (lol) Kind of kills the mood the book is giving. No offense, Twilight fans! :P "
Yea, there are a lot of talented authors in the fandom. :)
No offense taken, Edward & Bella aren't everyone's cup of tea. Though if you can tolerate the E & B names, you can partake upon the gifts that are twifics... they're free labors of love. :D

Lola Ren Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ohh okay, thanks for the heads up!
..."

well that def. explain the similarities. for me it just the way all the stories turn out... all become too googoo and sappy. I love twilight first book, fsog first and half of second book, and gabriels half of the book. something that s too overly romantic just didnt do it for me

Diane Lola Ren wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Diane *Ahnnihilate* wrote: "Kagama wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ohh oka..."
Do they? Interesting; I wouldn't know because I didn't really finish University of Edward Masen and Master of the Universe.

Goo goo/ sappy gets to be too much for me sometimes, though it really depends on the story and how I feel at the time (good thing there is plenty of fanfic that doesn't go to the mushy territory).

Stephanie Pangan Oh, same! I loove romance in books, but only when its used properly. Nothing worse than reading a book that has an over-kill of romance. Talk about *YAWN* or *BLEH*..

So, if FSOG & Gabriel's Inferno are originally fanfics.. are there others that have hit it big and become novels as well?

message 28: by Diane (last edited Mar 06, 2012 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Diane Stephanie wrote: "Oh, same! I loove romance in books, but only when its used properly. Nothing worse than reading a book that has an over-kill of romance. Talk about *YAWN* or *BLEH*..

So, if FSOG & Gabriel's Infer..."

Oh tons and tons of fanfic got pulled and published (there's a long list of it floating around somewhere). Here are some:

Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia Trust in Advertising by Victoria Michaels Sempre by J.M. Darhower Pieces of Us by Hannah Downing Wake by Abria Mattina Black and White by Tiffany Madison Boycotts & Barflies by Victoria Michaels The Unidentified Redhead (Redhead, #1) by Alice Clayton Passion Fish by Alison Oburia

DiAnn I like both - can't pick one over the other.

message 30: by Windwalker (new)

Windwalker Stephanie wrote: "So, I've only read the Fifty Shades series- And LOVED it all!
But I keep hearing about another story that FS is really similar to, or in some cases I've heard its a "copy" of.. I know it somehow ..."

50 shades started as Master of The Universe which was a not for profit Twilight fanfic originally. This is where the whole "copy of" thing comes from.

Kathleen Shawn wrote: "MOTU was a popular Twilight fanfic but in my opinion it wasn't even a good one. The plot line was weak and the inconsistencies were terrible."

Well if you read fifty shades its MOTU word by word give or take a few explicit sex scenes so if u like fifty unlike motu

message 32: by Frankie (new) - added it

Frankie Fifty shades is the improved/edited version of MOTU, they were both written by EL James.