What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Non-superhero graphic novels

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments I'd like to read some graphic novels, but I'm not really in the mood for superheroes. Any genre is fine by me, but I don't want any manga or graphic novels based on books. Some of my favorite (non-superhero) graphic novels include: Ghostopolis, Creature Tech, Mouse Guard, The Walking Dead and Bone. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments I'm not familiar with any of the graphic novels you've noted as tend toward the memoir ones. I'm not sure if those would appeal to you: The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi and The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman are quite good. Many people around here like the Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O'Malley. It's not superheroes...exactly... but I only read one, and it wasn't to my taste.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) | 47 comments I really enjoyed Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic (dark, painful, yet funny memoir), Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth (bio of mathematician/philosopher Bertrand Russell, as well as a discussion of the theories), and for fiction, anything by Daniel Clowes, especially Mister Wonderful: A Love Story.

message 4: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Midnight Nation
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

The Preacher series by Garth Ennis
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/95...

The Transmetropolitan series by Warren Ellis is excellent.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22...

White Like She by Bob Fingerman
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32...

Shutterbug Follies by Jason Little
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

message 5: by D.M. (last edited Feb 29, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Long list ahead:

Blankets
Ghost World
The Complete Strangers in Paradise Volume 1
Albedo (hard to find, but if you like animal series, this is military SF and one of the better furry comics.)
Usagi Yojimbo
The Littlest Zombie (personal favorite, Fred Perry is also awesome for indie superhero graphic novels)
Boneyard, Vol. 1(fun horror comedy)
The Collegiate Hepcats (serious slice of life furry comic, similar to Omaha the Cat Dancer Vol. 1.Both are 18+)
Cerebus Book 01: Cerebus(classic series, watch out for massive misogyny in later volumes though.)

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thanks to everyone for all of their kind suggestions! I'll make sure to try them all!

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments D wrote: "I'm not familiar with any of the graphic novels you've noted as tend toward the memoir ones. I'm not sure if those would appeal to you: The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi and [bookcover:The..."

I actually just got Maus from the library earlier today, and I can't wait to read it!

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Aya
Charm School Volume 1 (Cute and fun but the series was never finished AFAIK)
Call Me Princess
Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword
Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 1 (not to my taste, but you might like it)
Blue Pills: A Positive Love Story

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thank you for your suggestions, Sid!

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments No prob! I hope this thread produces some suggestions you enjoy. :)

message 11: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments There are so many graphic novels out there that aren't fixated on super heroes. I love graphic novels!

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments How has no one recommended "Y:The Last Man" yet?? Amazing graphic novels! I also really liked "Laika" by Nick Abadzis, but it made me cry. It's based on a true story. Also, "Unwritten" by Mike Carey and "Kill Shakespeare" by Conor McCreery are great, too.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
I really enjoyed The Jew of New York, which is very off-the-wall strange, but sometimes hilarious. Check out the author's other stuff, too.

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thank you for your recommendations!

message 15: by Victor (last edited Mar 08, 2012 03:07AM) (new)

Victor Merling | 18 comments The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes is the first story arch in what is definitely one of the top graphic novels ever.
Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile is an incredibly good series as well.

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Victor wrote: "The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes is the first story arch in what is definitely one of the top graphic novels ever.
Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile is an incre..."

I've got both in my to-read list already, but thank you!

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thank you :)

Alyssa (The Shady Glade) (shadyglade) | 22 comments Here's some of my favorite non-manga graphic novels. There's a mix of ages in here. It looks like you trend towards the kids/YA set (like me) so hopefully you'll find some suggestions you like:

Girl Genius, Vol. 1: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank

Gunnerkrigg Court: Orientation

Castle Waiting, Vol. 1

Rapunzel's Revenge (and it's sequel Calamity Jack, although both can be stand-alone titles)

Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy

American Born Chinese

The Courageous Princess

Cat Burglar Black

Joey Fly, Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime

Wonderland (not Alice in Wonderland, but rather a sequel-type story about Mary Ann, the White Rabbit's servant girl)

Crogan's Vengeance and Crogan's March

Smile

Night Owls Vol. 1

Mercury

Pirate Penguin Vs Ninja Chicken Volume 1: Troublems with Frenemies

Anya's Ghost

message 20: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thank you for all of your suggestions! I've read some of them, but I'll keep all the others in mind :)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments It's just dawned on me that I forgot to recommend Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip - Book One.

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thank you!

message 23: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 149 comments I second Rapunzel's Revenge.

Also, if you like graphic novels, why not try some of novels? I know the Artemis Fowl graphic novels to be good, and I'm sure there are also a wide range of other ones that are likely to be superhero-free due to their novel-based premise. Hope I helped! :)

message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thanks for the recommendation, Natalie! Shannon Hale is a favorite author of mine, so I am excited to read Rapunzel's Revenge.

message 25: by Kris (new)

Kris | 215 comments I was going to rec Bone buuuuuut...

See if you can find Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo series

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60...

And for shock value there's always Omaha the Cat Dancer...

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thanks, Kris!

message 27: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments A lot of people love Why I Hate Saturn by Kyle Baker. I thought it was all right, but I think another of his graphic novels, The Cowboy Wally Show, might just be the funniest thing I've ever read.

message 28: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 16 comments Pride of Baghdad is great
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

message 29: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thanks for the recommendations Peter and Nathan!

message 30: by Joseph (last edited Aug 23, 2012 05:49AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Kristen wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation, Natalie! Shannon Hale is a favorite author of mine, so I am excited to read Rapunzel's Revenge."

If you find you like Rapunzel's Revenge, be sure to check out it's sequel: Calamity Jack

I just finished another really great one: Blacksad by Juan Díaz Canales

message 31: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thank you Joseph!

message 33: by Teno (last edited Oct 17, 2012 12:03PM) (new)

Teno Q. Queen Bee is a graphic novel about two high school rivals who are both psychokinetic. They have popularity battles by doing things with their powers like throwing stuff at each other, tripping each other, etc. c:

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Thanks for the recommendatons!

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Stuck in the Middle: 17 Comics from an Unpleasant Age presents an grim look at Life in Middle School. Stuck in the Middle 17 Comics from an Unpleasant Age by Ariel Schrag