Classics for Beginners discussion

Announcements

Comments Showing 1-50 of 184 (184 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Here is where you can make individual announcememnts, whether you just passed your driving test, are starting something new or an event, or want to wish every one a good day.
Group announcements will also be made here so keep checking in for a look.

Important: Make your announcement in bold capitals so that we can easily see announcements here among any comments.

message 2: by Nicolle (last edited Feb 29, 2012 09:54AM) (new)

Nicolle THE CLASSICS FOR BEGINNERS BIRTHDAY COMPETITION IS ENDING ON THE 14TH MARCH SO YOU ONLY HAVE 15 MORE DAYS TO GET YOUR ENTRIES IN!

message 3: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle MARCH GROUP READ The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes STARTED TODAY

message 4: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle GOT EXAM RESULTS! MATHS - A, ENGLISH LANG/LIT - A, PSYCHOLOGY - B :)

message 5: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle NOMINATIONS FOR THE APRIL READ ARE NOW OPEN

message 6: by Namida... (new)

Namida... | 41 comments Nicolle wrote: "GOT EXAM RESULTS! MATHS - A, ENGLISH LANG/LIT - A, PSYCHOLOGY - B :)"

congratulations :):)

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Excellent results Nicolle!

message 8: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 772 comments Mod
Great work.

message 9: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 92 comments Congrats on your exams Nicolle! :)

message 10: by Esther (new)

Esther  (estame) Well Done, that's great!! So, where and what next?!

message 11: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Thanks everyone :)

ღEstaღ wrote: "Well Done, that's great!! So, where and what next?!"

Still have exams in June so those are my next goal.

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) That's great Nicolle, now you can start correcting me when I "name drop" pyscologist theories.

message 13: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle hahaha...will try my best to catch you out!

message 14: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle VOTE FOR OUR APRIL READ IN THE POLL

message 15: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle 2 DAYS UNTIL THE BIRTHDAY COMPETITION CLOSES! GET YOUR ENTRIES IN!!

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Nicolle wrote: "VOTE FOR OUR APRIL READ IN THE POLL"

Nicolle ... just curious ... why is the poll "secret"? Once I've voted why can't I see where the responses stack up?

message 17: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Nicolle wrote: "VOTE FOR OUR APRIL READ IN THE POLL"

Nicolle ... just curious ... why is the poll "secret"? Once I've voted why can't I see where the responses stack up?"

I was wondering the same thing!

message 18: by kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Mar 12, 2012 06:16PM) (new)

kwesi 章英狮 (kwesifriends) | 138 comments Sorry guys, I was the one who made it secret to everyone. Changing the setting...

message 19: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle BIRTHDAY COMPETITION IS CLOSED. ENTRIES ARE NOW BEING PROCESSED AND THE WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN AND ANNOUNCED BY SATURDAY

message 20: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Winners were chosen with a random number generator (with numbers allocated in list on first post).
1st prize - Martha Smith
2nd prizes - Deb Place, Angie Young, Cora.
CONGRATULATIONS YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR PRIZE BY EMAIL IN THE NEXT 7 DAYS.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) Dear Moderators,
Thank you for running the competition. I am so excited to be one of the prize winners. I am getting my very own copy of Gone With the Wind with my $15 Book Depository prize.
I hope I haven't mucked the money side of things up, as my computer is set to $NZ on Book Depository!
Thanks again!

message 22: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle OUR APRIL READ IS THE DICKENS NOVEL 'GREAT EXPECTATIONS'.

message 23: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle NOMINATIONS FOR OUR MAY READ ARE NOW OPEN

message 24: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle ANY TOPICS WHICH ARE INACTIVE FOR MORE THAN A FEW MONTHS WILL BE MOVED TO ARCHIVE. IF THEY BECOME ACTIVE AGAIN I WILL MOVE THEM BACK THE THE RELEVENT FOLDER.

message 25: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle THE POLL FOR THE MAY READ IS NOW OPEN

message 26: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle FROM JUNE NOMINATIONS WILL BE LIMITED TO ONE NOMINATION PER PERSON

message 27: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle THERE ARE TWO POLLS OPEN TO DECIDE ANY CHANGES TO OUR MONTHLY GROUP READ, AND ALSO A NEWSLETTER. IF YOU WANT YOUR SAY PLEASE VOTE

message 28: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

I only see one poll.

message 29: by ☯Emily , moderator (last edited Apr 08, 2012 05:36AM) (new)

Now I found the other two. They are at the bottom of the poll section and people will have to scroll down to find them. Can you put them at the top with the other poll?

message 30: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Ok sure, I will make them featured.

message 31: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle OUR MAY READ WILL BE FAHRENHEIT 451

message 32: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 231 comments OK. I've never read Ray Bradbury. Sounds interesting...

message 33: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) I just finished that today. Very fast read and incredibly powerful.

message 34: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) An excellent choice. Read this years ago, and have also seen the movie a couple of times.

message 35: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 205 comments I haven't read it since I was a kid. I think I remember liking the movie more than the book. I also had a Fahrenheit 451 game for the Commodore 64, but I could never get it to work; the title screen was pretty cool though.

message 36: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle I have ordered it at the library :D

message 37: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 231 comments Silly question: I was trying to tell my husband what book I'd be reading next, and couldn't figure out the proper way to say it...

Is it "Fahrenheit four five one" or "Fahrenheit four fifty one" or "Fahrenheit four hundred fifty one?"

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Sunny wrote: "Silly question: I was trying to tell my husband what book I'd be reading next, and couldn't figure out the proper way to say it...

Is it "Fahrenheit four five one" or "Fahrenheit four fifty one" ..."

Not a silly question at all ... I've always said it as "Fahrenheit four fifty-one"

message 39: by Heather L (last edited Apr 17, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I've always heard it and said it as "four fifty-one".

message 40: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 231 comments Thanks to both of you! We ultimately decided that it "sounded" right to us to say "four fifty-one" but I wanted to check. :)

message 41: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I always thought it was read like a Dispatcher would call the unit numbers to put out a fire. "

Unit fifty-one, squad fifty one, farenhieght four-fifty-one, there's a three alarm fire at two four six eight Who-do-we-appriciate bulavard. Cross streat Bradbury and science fiction theater."

The way they used to call it out on that old Jack Webb produced TV Show Emergency 51, or one-adam-twelve.

The play on words or the allusion to "Firemen" being the important connection there.

message 42: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 205 comments I've always read it as four fifty-one, too. A clip from the movie has it as four five one, around the 45 second mark, for what it's worth.

message 43: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle I always thought of it as four-five-one but I guess that's just me...

message 44: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I believe what I'm trying to get at, though poorly attempted, is that it's not "how the numbers should be read" that's important, it's "The context, what they represent."

message 45: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 205 comments I like your explanation, but isn't the context just the temperature at which book paper burns? Bradbury also says 4-5-1 in this interview . The more I say it like that the more I like it.

message 46: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Although other sources say it's closer to 451 Celsius....

message 47: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 205 comments Thanks, Jonathan, so I see. Non-Americans with their snooty celsius, and long histories, and precise measurement systems, and various flavored creams.

message 48: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

Michael wrote: "Thanks, Jonathan, so I see. Non-Americans with their snooty celsius, and long histories, and precise measurement systems, and various flavored creams."

Australia has a long history?

message 49: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 205 comments well, aboriginals. marsupials have been there a while I think.

message 50: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Michael wrote: "Thanks, Jonathan, so I see. Non-Americans with their snooty celsius, and long histories, and precise measurement systems, and various flavored creams."

I think that the metric system makes Waay more sense and celcius. I just don't understand anything else!

« previous 1 3 4