Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > ISBNs

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Haggard (cynthiasallyhaggard) I am the author of THWARTED QUEEN, which I have up on Goodreads as an ebook, a 4-volume series of e-books and a 3-volume series of paperbacks. Each of these version has its own ISBN, so today I went over all of my books to make sure they had it. In a couple of cases, I found an ISBN-10, which I got rid of, because to my knowledge these books ONLY HAVE ISBN-13s. I should know because I bought them from Bowker. (Except for one that CreateSpace gave me). Question: Have I done something wrong? Unfortunately, don't remember the 2 versions that had the ISBN-10.

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments You have a mixture of Kindle editions with ISBN's and some other errors - I am sorting them out now

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Ok it should be sorted now.

Please do not removed ISBN's or change around ASIN's on editions, each should have their own edition. Where I have added new editions I have presumed the paperback / Kindle have the same cover if unable to find alternative should this be wrong - post back with the ISBN / ASIN and a link to the correct cover and we can change it

The only one you need to check is this one:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

If you do a google on the ISBN is indicates that is is assigned to this book but I cannot find book seller info on this ISBN.

message 4: by Cynthia (last edited Mar 03, 2012 11:51AM) (new)

Cynthia Haggard (cynthiasallyhaggard) Paula,

Thanks for sorting this out for me, I appreciate your taking the trouble. I've checked all of the identifiers for my books on Goodreads. The identifiers (both ISBN-10 and 13) are CORRECT for all three paperbacks.

There is a problem with the 5 e-books. For some reason, Amazon ONLY reports the ASIN for e-books. But actually ALL of these e-books have ISBNs.

Here they are:
THWARTED QUEEN: 978-0-9848169-1-0
THE GILDED CAGE (E-book version with ASIN BOO5Z1DM1I) also has the ISBN 978-0-9848169-5-8
ONE SEED SOWN: 978-0-9848169-4-1
THE BRIDE PRICE: 978-0-9848169-7-2
TWO MURDERS REAPED (E-book version with ASIN BOO5Z1CBF6) also has the ISBN 978-0-9848169-3-4. That is the edition you found that you couldn't source. You should DELETE this third edition, and ADD that ISBN number to the E-BOOK.

Thanks so much!

Best Cynthia

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Kindle editions only get ASIN assigned on GR - Amazon hide the ISBN's

If the ISBN's belong to other NON Kindle editions then they would be added as ebooks

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Haggard (cynthiasallyhaggard) Thanks for explaining. Is there a reason why Amazon HIDES the ISBNs of its Kindle editions?

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23837 comments Cynthia its probably a commercial reason.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Haggard (cynthiasallyhaggard) You're probably right, Sandra. Perhaps it is another way in which Amazon is trying to exert control.