Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Excavation
This topic is about Excavation
Group Reads Archive > March Ancient/Lost Civilizations Read: Excavation by James Rollins * Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Looking forward to reading this. Enjoy!

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Started today, havin' fun so far.

message 3: by Eileen (new)

Eileen My goal is to start today. Then I'll have some mind- provoking questions for everyone.

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Cool. I'm biting my tongue already (fingers?). Rollins stuff is always so much fun to read.

Creature | 18 comments Hello:
I plan on starting it this weekend.
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 6: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Wonderful....the more the merrier.

message 7: by Kora (new) - added it

Kora (koraj) | 7 comments Bought the look last week, starting tonight!

message 8: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZuty...

I just got this through my James Rollins Website connection. (Face book I think)

That's interesting.

message 9: by Bob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 14 comments Wow this is like an Indiana Jones movie...
About 40% through. Can't wait to finish.

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Just started and only on page 50, None stop action and intrigue from page one.

That's what I was thinking when reading, Bob. I'm watching a good Indian Jones movie, Sam is Harrison Ford and his Uncle is Sean Connery. I haven't figured out yet who will play Maggie.

message 11: by Eileen (new)

Eileen The Curmudgeon wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZuty...

I just got this through my James Rollins Website connection. (Face book I think)

That's interesting."

I sure hope the world doesn't end this year,.
Somedays I think it's possible while I watch the evening news.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - added it

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4694 comments Mod
Okay, I bought this when I went to Barnes and Noble to day to treat myself for my B-day. I hope I will get to read it this month with y'all. I also bought Ice Hunt (based on Hugh, the James Rollins bookpusher's recommendation). :)

message 13: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

Now, now Lady D, Rollins hasn't agreed to give me a commission yet, and once the restraining order expires I'll try again to convince him how much I'm worth.

(but I really liked Ice Hunt.)

message 14: by Bob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 14 comments ***Spoiler Alert***
Was really enjoying the book until I got to the "nanobots".
Just like in the Devil's Colony, Rollins seems to like to use them. It is quite a streach that Ancient Civilizations could discover/invent/use nanobots.
Still a good read, but more science fiction in the second half of the book than action adventure. 10% to go.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - added it

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4694 comments Mod
LOL, Hugh!

message 16: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Okay, I bought this when I went to Barnes and Noble to day to treat myself for my B-day. I hope I will get to read it this month with y'all. I also bought Ice Hunt (based on Hugh, the James Rolli..."

Happy B-day Danielle...Good choices...I second Hugh's recommendation of Ice Hunt!

message 17: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh, and happy B-Day Lady D! (I managed to get that in there before midnight so it still counts right?)

Bob, I think it's safe to say that I haven't read a book by Rollins that hasn't stretched the imagination. That is part of the fun. I'm not sure I remember the use of nanobots in the same way. When I read them I thought it was more a case of the nanobots coming from a natural occurrence, or possibly forming by accident and the ancient civilized peoples merely stumbled across it-the presence of nanobots was serendipitous at its most diabolic moment. The ancient peoples simply harnessed the power of a reoccurring, reproducible accident.

And, Rollins also provides research, that includes scientific findings that these are things that the ancients actually accomplished.

I also think the term Nano-bots as Rollins uses it, may include a lot of things that others might describe with a less modern term, and that have been around for a long time, not just modern, micro-machines that re-order DNA etc.

You are right though, he does seem to like this science of nanobots and uses it a lot. And, since I'm comfortable taking things on the books terms, it doesn't bother me. He (Rollins) admits to taking a scientific inch and seeing how long he can stretch it on some things.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - added it

Thanks, Lisa and Hugh. It was a very good one, despite some stuff that's going on right now.

message 19: by Bob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 14 comments Curmudgeon, Thanks for your comments. I agree with you on the points you bring up.

When reading The Devils Colony, I found that the nanobots took a slight edge off my enjoyment of the book. So when they appeared again in Excavation, I felt not again.

I did enjoy the action in Excavation, but of the books I read by Rollins, I thought this was more science fiction -- especially at the end.

message 20: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Mar 03, 2012 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob (cool name. Backwards or forwards it still spells boB. Very versatile!)

I'm not at the end yet, but getting close. I have seen the nano-bot theme hop in Rollins stories (other ones) too. I'm not defending it, um...other than when I sound like I'm defending it I mean, I just find enough different and fun in the big picture.

If you realy want someting different from Rollins...well the same in some ways but differetn in the science, try Subterranean. I don't remember any nanobots in there. (I could be mistaken. Like I said Rollins tends to call anything that causes or makes changes in the body a nano-bot, but by that definition it could also be a virus... wait, he's done that one to. (B-{0>)

Their all good action books. And,you are right, he's dipped in the nano-bot well in more than one book before.

(and I was just teasing about the name "Bob" Only teased and meant in fun.)

message 21: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Right in the middle and so far I'm really like this book. Nonstop action, with laughs thrown in...very enjoyable!

message 22: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

I like Norman. He's funny.

message 23: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

Done, and it's another fun read. On my list the non Sigma Books are Ice Hunt, Amazonia, Subteranean followed by this one.

Their all good reads. I'll wait till more discussion starts to unleash my wealth of ideas ....assuming I'm not bankrupt by then.

Fun read! Good idea!

message 24: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Getting close to finishing.

Have to agree, this was a good idea! Keeping fingers crossed that there's a few pennies left for your wealth of ideas, Hugh. lol

message 25: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

yeah, my rates are going up. Inflation and all. I'm taking nickles now.

message 26: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Just finished...what a great fun read.

My thoughts coming shortly.

message 27: by Eileen (new)

Eileen My five cents...

Wow, what can I say about this book except what a roller coaster ride, the pacing was perfect. The action never stopped and when I thought I couldn't take it anymore the humor was thrown in at all the right spots. Being that this is the second book I've read of Mr. Rollins I am now a big fan and intend to read more of his books and soon. Making this book a must read for anyone who enjoys action adventure stories.

There really wasn't anything I disliked about the book. Only once did I skim over the part between Joan and the young monks explanation of the science behind the nanobots. As I never was much into science in school and that was more my fault, not the teachers who taught the classes. Did anyone else find themselves skimming over any parts of the book and what parts were they?

Norman was my entertaining comic relief. All the characters in the book were kind of predicable for me at times and I always new what would happen to them in the end, saying that, it didn't take away the enjoyment of the book for me. Who was your favorite character in the book and did you dislike anyone?

Did you like the pacing of the action in the book? Was there to much, too little?
Was there a scene in the book that stood out, that you could stop thinking about?

message 28: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Is anyone else done?

What did you think...any thoughts?

message 29: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

I've read it, and I am going to post my review soon (here and on the book of course). Hopefully this afternoon.

message 30: by Larry (new)

Larry Seeley (lfseeley) | 82 comments 17 Degrees North was released last Friday in e-book and POD formats. I've signed over 1000 copies at my events and expect 500 more attendess this weekend. Reaction has been beyond my expectations.

If anyone would like to review, please e-mail me at lfseeley@msn.com, and I'll forward a copy. Thanks.

message 31: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean (swelsh20) Just finished this last night, and I quite enjoyed it. It really rolled along at a quick and exciting pace throughout. The only parts that really took me out of the action and slowed things down for me was when Henry was in the lab with Joan in the earlier sections of the book. I didn't skim through them, but I thought about it.

I think this was just the lab setting, however, as nothing nearly exciting was ever going to happen there than in the jungle with the students.

My favorite scenes were definitely the parts where the students were in the Necropolis. Here is where the stakes were really elevated, characters start getting killed off, and the action just flows page after page.

message 32: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished it a while back, here's my review... (too long to post up here)

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 33: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sean, yea, the Necropolis is where the action went up a notch. I liked this one, though It's curently number four behind some of his other stand-alones.

If you've read all of his books, you might see some things that he double dipped on. It seemed to me he used this book as a testing ground for some of the things he put in his Sigma Force Novels later.

But, even with that knowledge, I still enjoyed it. A fun read's a fun read.

message 34: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Sean, I'm happy you enjoyed the book as much as I did. I too,(maybe a little) skimmed over parts of the lab settings, being that I'm not a big fan of science in my stories. The scenes in the Necropolis were also some of my favorite parts of the book.

message 35: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Curmudgeon wrote: "I finished it a while back, here's my review... (too long to post up here)

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

Reading your review Hugh, I have to agree, I would have liked to have known more about the Monks. They were some tough men of the cloth.

Joan was great for a "older lady", being a older lady myself not sure if I like that term, lol.

Norm was great comic relief. Good analogy using the Scooby Doo characters to describe Sam, Maggie and Norman.

I have to pleasantly disagree, Maggie is just as Irish a name as Molly.

Now if you think Ice hunt and Amazonia are more entertaining then Excavation, I can't wait to get to them.

message 36: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay, I will give you that, Maggie is just as Irish as Molly. And I think Amazonia, Subterranean, and Ice Hunt were better. But there all good. It's like saying rocky road is better than chunky monkey. They are both good. After that its a matter of preference.

message 37: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'll take your word for rocky road and chunky monkey because I've never had either. I am looking forward to reading more of Rollin's books and good review, Hugh.

message 38: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thank you Eileen... and notice I didn't once say, "c...this doesn't count...come on Eileen"

I've never been let down by a Rollins read. Even the worst of them are good fun ways to spend some time reading. (so far at least).

Allison (aquabel) | 33 comments I'm actually reading Rollins' The Doomsday Key at the moment, but I read Excavation a few years ago. Rollins is one of my favourite authors. He and Matthew Reilly are the reasons I started reading action/adventure novels. IMO Excavation is one of Rollins' best. I love action/adventures with history, treasure hunting and science, and this one has it all. Definitely one of my favourites.

message 40: by Bob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 14 comments Great review Hugh. I agree with your rating and comments. You have another follower of your reviews.
Thanks.

message 41: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thank you Bob! I try... you know what they say...

"if at first you try and don't succeed... try again when nobody is looking!"

message 42: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Allison wrote: "I'm actually reading Rollins' The Doomsday Key at the moment, but I read Excavation a few years ago. Rollins is one of my favourite authors. He and Matthew Reilly are the reasons I started readin..."

I'm with you Allison...haven't met a James Rollins book I didn't like (and I've read them all). Just started reading a few of Matthew Reilly and loving those too!

message 43: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Mar 25, 2012 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I like them all too. I think Subterranean is a sleeper because it's like (view spoiler) but it's better than (view spoiler) book. (Spoiler added because it gives up a major plot surprise, don't unspoil if you haven't read it.)

I'm still an Ice Hunt fan.

message 44: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yep Hugh, Ice Hunt is my favorite too :) followed closely by Subterranean. I know Rollins has another Sigma Force book coming out this year, but has anyone heard if he is writing any more stand-alones anytime soon?

message 45: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Allison wrote: "I'm actually reading Rollins' The Doomsday Key at the moment, but I read Excavation a few years ago. Rollins is one of my favourite authors. He and Matthew Reilly are the reasons I started readin..."

I'm a new fan to Rollin's books and can't wait to read more. That's why I love this group, I have found so many new (for me) great action/adeventure authors.