Dark Dreams on Distant Shores discussion

Book of the Month: Discussions > March 2012: Graceling - Kristin Cashore

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Windy (new)

Windy (kryokitten) | 24 comments Mod
Our first book of the month winner is...

Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore .

Let's get hopping!

message 2: by Windy (new)

Enjoyed this book though it did take me a little bit to get into it. Did anyone else have issues? It may have just been because I had a lot of stuff going on at home. By the end of Graceling I was hopped up for the next in the series and I cant wait to read Bitterblue.

message 3: by Ramie (new)

Ramie (delusionalangel) | 5 comments Mod
Windy wrote: "Enjoyed this book though it did take me a little bit to get into it. Did anyone else have issues? It may have just been because I had a lot of stuff going on at home. By the end of Graceling I was..."

It was slow at parts, yeah. Have you tried Fire? You may or may not like it. Same world. Sort of a prequel. Kind of. A stretch to feel the connection at times. There is a Graceling in it, but more like cameo appearances. It's about a half human, half monster.

message 4: by Windy (new)

Donna told me a little bit about Fire... I really don't have a desire to read that one. I do want to check out Bitterblue though. That I have a feeling is going to be the real sequel.

message 5: by Donna (last edited Mar 31, 2012 11:47AM) (new)

Donna (khalija) | 9 comments Mod
Fire is written differently, if that helps. It's not as... stiff. Some people like it more because of that, but I think I enjoyed Graceling more - I actually liked that it felt stiff because it went along with the personality of the main character.

Even so, Fire was an interesting story. It's basically these two lands that are divided by a mountainous range from the kingdoms from Graceling so they don't really know about each other. And since it's a prequel, you get a little more story on Leck, though not much. He's a really small part of the book but it explains a few things.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Graceling (other topics)