The Passage (The Passage, #1) The Passage discussion

Worth the read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Sara I wish I could tell you it gets better fast...but in my opinion(and without spoiling anything) it almost gets worse. Your going to meet an entire new cast of characters and their names are weird and their backstories are kind of hurried. Here is an example, "Old Mau was the first and second Mau is a runner". Who and why and what is a runner?! The author spends a lot of time here trying to introduce all these characters and their jobs and why they are where they are. Without ruining anything some people will leave, THAT is when the book in my opinion starts to pick up and get better. That's about another 200 pages in!

Mary Don't give up! I felt the same way. It truly seemed like 3 books in one and each is dependent on the other. You won't be sorry! One of my all time favorite reads. Can't wait for the sequel.

Pauline No- I wouldnt bother.

Emma Keep going!!!! its marvellous!!!

Neats I'd say stick with it. I was dubious when I first picked it up but friends told me to persevere and I'm glad I did. Bring on the next one!

Christian I found this novel to be a tedious slog. There were some good bits to be sure, but on the whole a waste of my time.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I kept wanting to put it down, but in the end I was gland I persevered. I was wishing I didn't have to wait for the next one.

Habz This novel reminds me of a Stephen King novel, not that i'm saying it's as good as a King novel but rather it is very detailed and thus very long.

It took me a very long time to read this novel, and at one point i picked it up months later and decided to finish it, no matter how long it took.
Having said that, i'm glad i read this book, i thought it was very original and that over the course of the 1000 or so pages, it evolves so much that the starting of the book has not left much of a connection with the ending.(not necessarily a bad thing)

I would definitely recommend this book for all kinds of readers- seeing as it is not exactly a fixed genre- and can't wait for the next in series:)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book and look forward to Cronin's next book in this series.

message 10: by Bob (last edited Mar 02, 2012 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob David wrote: "I loved this book and look forward to Cronin's next book in this series."

I'm with David on this one. great book. way above average for genre fiction.

Dkattean Fantastic novel - one of the best I read in 2010. It's killing me to have to wait so long for the sequel!

Lostshadows I found it, mostly, worth the read. However, I didn't find it necessary to force myself through it. It sounds like it might not be the book for you.

Tracy I did like this book but if you don't have the time/patience to put into it the it may not be for you. Like others have said - it takes a few hundred pages to get going and there is a lot of character setup. I had to force myself through the first half but ended up really enjoying it and will read the sequel when it is released in December. I will admit that this book is not the one to read if you are looking for a light, quick and easy read that doesn't require much concentration or thinking.

message 14: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa Glover It wasn't bad, but I found it anticlimactic after having trudged through something like 36 hours of audio (I listened to it in the car on the way to and from work). I expected more, but I wouldn't consider it a waste of time. It was an interesting twist, but unsatisfying, imo.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed the book right from the beginning. In terms of quality it didn't change much as I read- I'm guessing that if you find it tedious at the start, that it will STAY tedious for you.

Haidi Yep keep reading, i thought it was a great book, interesting, different, deep and full of strangeness.

The sequel "the Twelve" comes out august 28th - or so I keep reading. Will definetly be reading it.

message 17: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Annesley It is a challnging read but second read
\is worthwhile

Tracy Haidi wrote: "Yep keep reading, i thought it was a great book, interesting, different, deep and full of strangeness.

The sequel "the Twelve" comes out august 28th - or so I keep reading. Will definetly be rea..."

Unfortunately it got pushed out to 18 December. Amazon and BN now have it back up on their sites with ebooks versions available for preorder as well.

Haidi Oh Bumma, even longer to wait! Thanks for the info Tracy.:)

message 20: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob December 18! Son of a Biscuit!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked it as well, I thought it was quite different and interesting.
But I just don't understand why people ask: there will always be people who love a book, and people who hate the same book, because they are different. I don't take suggestions even from close friends, much less strangers... so if you've read 100 pages and don't like it, then just stop. Life's too short for books you don't like (that's my rule :))

message 22: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob ScarletBea wrote: "I really liked it as well, I thought it was quite different and interesting.
But I just don't understand why people ask: there will always be people who love a book, and people who hate the same bo..."

If I don't like a book, I just bail.

Haidi Exactly right ScarletBea!

message 24: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa Glover You have a point, ScarletBea, but then again, there are books like The Lord of the Rings. The first hundred pages or so were torture to me (the birthday party). Were it not for some encouragement from friends of mine whose taste was remarkably similar, I would have quit on a book that I loved. So while your rule is a good one, asking can sometimes help give you the nudge you need to get you through the rough spots.

message 25: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Falcon Great story!! I do admit that I did this one audio-book style while commuting. With the really long ones, audiobooks force you to keep going when you may want to stop. Same reason I listen and not read George RR Martin too.

Marty Elrod Try the audio version. I loved it! Waiting patiently for the next one.

message 27: by Sherrie (last edited Mar 13, 2012 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sherrie Here is part of my review...what I find ironic is that I find that many people want to give up around page 200.

Wow, holy unimpressed. I know I've seen comparisons of this book to The Stand. Okay, maybe. Comparisons to The Road? No way. Not one little bit. I think this book would have been mildly better with better editing...but not by much. It was "okay". No parts stuck with me whatsoever and instead of "not being able to put it down" all I could think of was "WHEN oh WHEN will I be done?" I should have stopped reading at page 200...but by the time I was at page 400, it was too late...I had to persevere. Maybe I was missing something. I made it to the end..and really, I wasn't missing anything. I should have stopped at page 200. Now...if you want to read a book that you can't put down that is such a better story with characters you care deeply about, read Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Soooo good.

Balquis This was one of my 'slow' books. Nothing amazing happens fast. Some parts a very exciting but the other non-exciting parts are a drag. By the time I finished, I wish I hadn't bothered.

Jennifer I enjoyed the book and have already pre-ordered the next one "The Tweleve" that hits shelves in Oct.

Clifford Gripped me immediately and enjoyed it thoroughly--up until the timeframe shift into the post apocalypse. My interest plummeted at that point and I gave up. Cronin is a gifted writer though and I would happily give him another try.

message 31: by G.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

G.L. Breedon I liked the novel, but the big problem I had was the 200+ page prologue that introduced all these characters who then disappeared (except one). But I thought those 200+ pages were great, so I eventually decided to think of it as two novels packaged together as one. Then it it not only made a little more sense in terms of story, but I felt like I was getting a bargain.:)

message 32: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim I enjoyed it. One of my favorites. Had a hard time putting it down; read it in about 4 1/2 days. Can't wait till "The Twelve."

Diane Theresa wrote: "It wasn't bad, but I found it anticlimactic after having trudged through something like 36 hours of audio (I listened to it in the car on the way to and from work). I expected more, but I wouldn't ..."

This is pretty much how I felt about the book. There were definately parts that had my heart racing or got me emotionally involved.There were many thought provoking issues that would be great for discussion but still a lot of "sludge to wallow through" to get to those parts. The ending left me thinking that I invested A LOT of time and thought into something that didn't pay off. Overall I did like the story and will read the next but I am skeptical going into it.

Diane Now...if you want to read a book that you can't put down that is such a better story with characters you care deeply about, read Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Soooo good.
YES Sherrie! a much better read and satisfying ending. Its long but it is contained in one book and you will not have to wait to see how it really ends. (I love series though The passage just didn't leave me wanting to read the next installment though)

message 35: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Annesley Diane wrote: "Now...if you want to read a book that you can't put down that is such a better story with characters you care deeply about, read Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Soooo good.
YES Sherrie! a much bett..."

Themetalmallet The Passage is a bit of a weird book considering how drawn out it is. It didn't blow my mind away since nothing really extraordinary happens and yet I'm looking forward to the next book because I get the feeling that all the requirements to set up the story were finally hashed out by the end of the book. Things will actually start happening in the next one (fingers crossed).

message 37: by Rita (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rita Sherrie wrote: "Here is part of my review...what I find ironic is that I find that many people want to give up around page 200.

I did give up around page 200. After that, it felt like a completely different story, so I put it away for another day.

Josefine Amalie Petersen I loved it. Esspecially the first part. I loved Wolgast!!

message 39: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric Abraham i started reading it and i kept in mind that it was going to be a trilogy so i knew the pay off might not come in this book. dont give up.It has a strong start and the middle is a beast but worth sticking through for the action and some cliff hangers. I reached the end satisfied.

Diane I personally loose interest quicker in audio because my mind wanders. I am more actively involved with a print version. I don't think I would have made it through this listening only. Still I am curious where the next book goes.

Jacki Leach I loved it. Took me a while to sort out the characters, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. The sequel can't come soon enough.

message 42: by Kay (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kay No, don't bother.

Barbara Bodem I hope you stuck with it. It took a while for all the pieces to come together, but it really gathered momentum towards the end and I've already ordered the sequel.

Shirley I thought it was a really good read, although I understand what you mean about the change part way through - you just have to keep reading!! I'm definitely going to read the sequel...

message 45: by Dyan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dyan Lee I loved this book, but I find that sometimes you have to be in a certain mood to read certain themes. For example, don't try reading love stories after a break-up. Perhaps you need to be in a mood for the Passage.

message 46: by Kay (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kay I certainly won't be buying the sequel. If
you didn't like the first part the las 2/3rds is dreadful

message 47: by Antonio (new) - added it

Antonio The book is definitely worth the read. Once you get past the important first part of the book, its hard to put down. Action packed and characters that are unforgettable. Prob could even skip the first part of the book and go back and read it to familiarize yourself with the book.

Charlie Yes and no, I found the book very frustrating and nearly gave up on it countless times, but it seemed that every time I got to that point something would draw me back in and I'd start really enjoying it. However I also agree with the people who have said the ending is pretty anticlimactic, so the ending itself won't make it "worth it", and if you're not finding sections along the way that are keeping you interested the answer is probably not.

That said, I will give The Twelve a go, but will probably be less forgiving and less inclined to persevere.

Ashley Umm... is this book worth the read?.... No. It was way too long and drawn out for my taste.. did i finish it? yes, I have a sickness that won't let me abandon books... Will I read twelve? Maybe one day after he writes all of them and people tell me it would be worth it to read the next two... otherwise I won't be reading any more or ever reread "The Passage"

Josefine Amalie Petersen If you don't like it yet, you won't like. It is best in the first 350 pages. It's an amazing book and I don't get it if you don't like it.

« previous 1 3