The Sword and Laser discussion

George R.R. Martin Threads > How do the books relate to the show?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill I didn't watch the first season of the show because I had the books on my to read list - I've now read the first book and have made a good start to the second one. My question is - can I watch season one of the show without getting spoilers for book 2? Is the first season pretty much just the first book?

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3497 comments Mod
The TV show season one finale finishes at the same point as the first book.

No spoilers for A Clash of Kings. That is Season 2 of the TV show.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Awesome - that's what I was hoping! Thanks Dave

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike (isbeorn) | 29 comments Its been a while since I watched the last episode. But I think there was just a little bleed over into the second season. The Catelyn and Jamie and Rob stuff was all book two wasn't it?

Anyway, Jill, if you are a good ways into Clash then you should be fine.

Though I think the season 2 of the show is going to borrow heavily from book 3 and the lines will only get blurred more as the show continues. HBO won't want to go a season without seeing a main character as Martin does in some books.

message 5: by Linguana (new)

Linguana | 148 comments @Mike: Yes, that's right. I also thought, watching the trailer, that in season 2, books 2 and 3 seem to blend into one. I remember the Catelyn talking to Jaime business happened at the very end of Clash of Kings.

And Brienne seems to be featured in season 2 while her proper appearence and storyline only happened in Storm of Swords.

Season 1 is safe to watch after book 1, though. :)

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Cool, I'm going to watch season one and the hope is that I can manage book two and three before the second season starts in April.

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean (seanthewebguy) | 4 comments Now I've watched the TV series up to episode 2 of the 2nd series is it still worth reading the first book?

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles | 248 comments Definitely worth reading the book even if you've seen the series.

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam | 33 comments Sean wrote: "Now I've watched the TV series up to episode 2 of the 2nd series is it still worth reading the first book?"

Totally depends on whether you want more detail on the intrigue, characters, and settings. I think the TV series does a very good job of covering all of the major plot points through the first book, so you're not really missing any of the story. That being said, the writing and description by Martin in the first few books is right near the top of the fantasy genre.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Sean wrote: "Now I've watched the TV series up to episode 2 of the 2nd series is it still worth reading the first book?"

They added scenes not in the book to the show, which changed the personality/action of few characters.

message 11: by Faiz (new)

Faiz | 80 comments The timeline stays mostly intact for season 2/book 2, except with characters like Robb and Jamie getting more time.

Seasons 3 and 4 will be book 3 and relatively self contained. Producers have confirmed season 3 will end with the RW(DO NOT GOOGLE THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS!!!)

After that is when things get weird. The end of SoS, all of FfC and the first 2/3 of DwD happen concurently. So seasons 5 and 6 will encompass all of that in a slightly mixed up way.

On that note, has anyone come across a chapter by chapter reading guide for anyone wating to read FfC and DwD in the proper order? I would find it a very interesting excersise.

message 12: by Sean (new)

Sean (seanthewebguy) | 4 comments Thanks Charles, Kevin, Sam & Faiz have now bought Book 1, sure it will be worth it.

message 13: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3497 comments Mod
Faiz wrote: "On that note, has anyone come across a chapter by chapter reading guide for anyone wating to read FfC and DwD in the proper order? I would find it a very interesting excersise"

Here is one guy's attempt at creating a reading order for a combined book.
Feast & Dance Megabook Reading order
and a link to his comments on it.
Megabook comments

message 14: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Linguana wrote: "@Mike: Yes, that's right. I also thought, watching the trailer, that in season 2, books 2 and 3 seem to blend into one. I remember the Catelyn talking to Jaime business happened at the very end of Clash of Kings.

And Brienne seems to be featured in season 2 while her proper appearence and storyline only happened in Storm of Swords."

No, Brienne's introduction happened in Clash of Kings. The show was pretty accurate with that scene. But she's only a minor character in CoK. She's far more prominent in SoS.

message 15: by Faiz (new)

Faiz | 80 comments Well, there has been talk of expanding or hastening Jamie's role in Season 2(given that he's almost non-existent in CoK). Depending on how they do it, it could mean Brienne's role would follow.