On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Festivals & Other Happenings > Alabama Book Festival

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
The seventh annual Alabama Book Festival will be in historic downtown Montgomery at Old Alabama Town on April 21, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The gates open at 9 a.m., with more than 40 vendors and exhibitors, and the program begins at 10 a.m. The free public event is the state’s premier book festival, with more than 4,000 people from around the state converging in the capital to meet with and hear from their favorite authors and scholars.

Featured authors may be seen at: http://alabamabookfestival.org/past-f...

And the list is still growing.

message 2: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

The 39th Annual Faulkner & Yoknapatawpha Conference

FIFTY YEARS AFTER FAULKNER

July 7-11, 2012, The University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi

The 2012 Faulkner and Yoknapatawpha Conference, "Fifty Years after Faulkner," will gather writers, teachers, and literary scholars for five days of lectures and discussions reflecting on the author's life, art, and achievement from the vantage point of the half century since his death in 1962. In addition to four keynote lectures, there will be numerous panel presentations (including a writers panel), guided daylong tours of North Mississippi, the Delta, and Memphis, and sessions on "Teaching Faulkner" by James B. Carothers, University of Kansas, Terrell L. Tebbetts, Lyon College, Charles Peek, University of Nebraska at Kearney, and Theresa M. Towner, University of Texas at Dallas.

The schedule of activities is available at: http://www.outreach.olemiss.edu/event...

message 3: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) I cannot wait for the Alabama Book Festival! I just moved to Prattville in October, and I cannot wait to take part. I may have begged for Karin Slaughter to be invited; she is my favorite author, and is from GA. Her stories involve Auburn, Birmingham, Sylacauga, the Iron Bowl, and of course GA. One friend said, "I love her books because it was the first time I heard the Piggly Wiggly mentioned in a book!" While she may not be Southern Literature in a Classics way, she is all about the South. Have you read her books, Mike?

message 4: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Autumn, You're just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Festival. I certainly hope to see you there. Perhaps some of our nearby group members can meet us there, too. It would be a blast.

I'm ashamed to say I've not read Karin Slaughter. But after reading up on her when I read your post, I certainly will.

My favorite contemporary Georgia writer is Joshilyn Jackson. Have you read her books? If so, I'd love to know what you think. If not, I'll read Slaughter, if you'll read Jackson. *grin* Gods in Alabama is the place to start with Joshilyn. She has a special place in my heart for supporting our Domestic Violence shelter, coming to town and putting on a heckuva show for all who were there. Here's me introducing her. I'm reading aloud the opening paragraph of "Gods in Alabama."

Photobucket

message 5: by Tajma (last edited Mar 03, 2012 12:12AM) (new)

Tajma Mike wrote: "The seventh annual Alabama Book Festival will be in historic downtown Montgomery at Old Alabama Town on April 21, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The gates open at 9 a.m., with more than 40 vendors a..."

Jeez! Why wasn't there anything this good in Alabama when I lived there???

message 6: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Mike wrote: "Autumn, You're just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Festival. I certainly hope to see you there. Perhaps some of our nearby group members can meet us there, too. It would be a blast.

I'm a..."

I just bought Gods in Alabama a couple of months ago. It is in my to-reads stack with many others. You will love Karin Slaughter. If you like Patricia Cornwell, you will love her too. I actually think she is much better, and people who I introduced her books to have agreed. So, after Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I will read God in Alabama.

message 7: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Autumn wrote:I just bought Gods in Alabama a couple of months ago. It is in my to-reads stack with many others. You will love Karin Slaughter."

Sounds like a plan, Autumn. I'll be glad to know what you think of
Gods in Alabama.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gods in Alabama (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karin Slaughter (other topics)
Joshilyn Jackson (other topics)