The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) The Golden Compass discussion

Phillip Pullman is a master storyteller

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed Phillip Pullman is one of our best writers. Take a look at how his beautiful sentences mimic human perception: http://bit.ly/wWCZcT

What do you think?

JulieLaLa Well, reading those highlighted passes, one is certainly transported (via nearly all five senses) to Lyra's world. As to Pullman being our best writer, I don't know. Depending on the story being told, different language is used. I just know that I enjoyed this series very, very much. I need to re-read it (again!). Thanks for the prod!

message 3: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed No problem, and thanks for visiting the blog.

Well, I can't think of a better writer, certainly not in the "kid-lit" genre. Though The Golden Compass isn't really for kids, is it?

message 4: by JulieLaLa (last edited Mar 02, 2012 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JulieLaLa Agree! I don't think The Golden Compass is for kids - young adults, for sure. I know I'm not a very analytical reader - I don't dissect what I like or don't like. I just feel it. As to kid-lit, I enjoyed going through our library's children section and picking up E. Nesbitt's books. They were enchanting. I also read a number of books that had been made into films (not knowing this before I saw the film i.e. The Tale of Despereaux and Ella Enchanted) and found some lovely children's books.

Stuart Brandwood I have a pet theory about these books, the third book as just SO different to the others I always think it was another project grafted onto the others...it's just never fitted for me. I absolutely TORE through the first two and loved every page then found the third one a real chore and a bit of a let-down.

Adi Narayan Mandalemula This is a wonderful description of Pullman's prose in this magnificent series. I already read Golden Compass, but didn't observe it so well. On my shallow mind Pullman's words made no more impression than rain on glass. Thanks for opening my eyes to a humble and modestly hidden depth in these three Children's books. Now I can't wait to go through them again.

Adi Narayan Mandalemula Stuart wrote: "I have a pet theory about these books, the third book as just SO different to the others I always think it was another project grafted onto the others...it's just never fitted for me. I absolutely ..."

Stuart, I totally agree with you. If not for that third book, I definitely would've gone back to this series at least just for fun. The third book is a bit overambitious. The first two were wonderful. I liked the second book the best.

Stuart Brandwood Aditya wrote: "The third book is a bit overambitious."

There were just too many messy elements like those wheeled elephants and the giant angry birds and the angels and the church's sniper etc etc whereas the other two books were spot on

Yona Yurwit Hell yeah he is.

I confess certain parts dragged on for me, though. But overall, his stories are amazing and well told.

Adi Narayan Mandalemula Stuart wrote: "There were just too many messy elements...

All through the book Pullman seemed like he was trying to prove something very important and basic fact about life. After I completed reading the book, I just couldn't understand why he included that hell and those birds. And that professor's journey in another universe is too prolonged. Like you said, the third book is very messy. There were some heart touching moments when Lyra and Will get separated forever, the pain Lyra and her daemon experience when they get parted. It could've been a wonderful ending to the series if the book is much shortened.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Golden Compass (other topics)