Goodreads Malaysia discussion

Makan Buku, Minum Buku... > Our school history textbooks

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (last edited Feb 29, 2012 06:09AM) (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
Start them young. Especially nowadays when Malays (especially urban Malays) have begun to shy away from the ruling coalition.

Paranoia and prejudice is a powerful tool to keep people in line and in your camp. You are never wrong, it's always the other guy's fault. Always blame the other guys be it Jews, Chinese or Liverpool supporters.

Ketuanan Melayu is one of those tools.

message 2: by Syahira (new)

Syahira  | 752 comments Its quite a subjective question so there shouldnt be a right or wrong. I guess thats the question related to Jus Soli and constitution stuff (Article 153 to be exact). I had those again while I was in university for hubungan etnik (core subject).

Problem is, the article is already from a pre-existing law by the British Empire and rewritten again to gain independence to affirm the Malay Sultanates right for this land and its people.

Its ones choice to interpret the law. For me, a lot of SPM stuff are truly basic until you choose it to a higher level. To say if the question in a book was asking a person to be racist is just too simple-minded to be taken literally. However, to delete the whole article of constitution is having history rewritten all over again is plain wrong to do so.

But to start a debate here is unwise as it is still sensitive (there's enough death already and people trolling everywhere), one can be labelled as racist one way or another and can be used by politicians to gain sympathisers. I'd like to avoid political talk in threads so this is my last post for this one.

message 3: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (last edited Feb 29, 2012 03:44PM) (new)

Syahira wrote: "But to start a debate here is unwise as it is still sensitive"

We at GR-MY like to run an open forum with no restrictions. Nothing is deemed sensitive or out of bounds. That's just another way to ignore important and interesting issues and to sweep things under the carpet.

In Malaysia anything we don't like to talk about is labelled sensitive. I call BS on that.

So discuss away. We encourage it!

(we've discussed about PPSMI, ISA, religion and the Interlok debacle in this forum. So it's nothing new for this forum to discuss sensitive-but-not-really issues)

message 4: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Seriously, 15 views and only three replies (not including this one), and two of them are mine? Maybe you should have written your post in Malay, Josh.

I know, I'll provoke the masses to get a reaction:

"MAMPUS MELAYU!"

There. Now let's sit back and wait for the responses to come in. Where's my popcorn?

message 5: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Preach it, Josh! Testify!

message 6: by Clerk Can (new)

Clerk Can | 146 comments Im not even a malay. My great great grandparents came from thailand the same time chinese came from china and indian came from inda. How my ic got printed 'malay' and why i have all these previllage as a malay that i dont know.

i asked my friend who malay actually and he said true malay is orang asli.

message 7: by Eimad (new)

Eimad | 56 comments encik_kerani wrote: "Im not even a malay. My great great grandparents came from thailand the same time chinese came from china and indian came from inda. How my ic got printed 'malay' and why i have all these previllag..."

in our Constitution,Malay are Malay speaker,Muslim and Malaysian.pretty easy to apply to have that so called 'status quo'.
i know.stupid Constitution.

message 8: by fahmee (new)

fahmee (gorgom22) | 39 comments "Status quo orang melayu?"
Apa yang sekarang orang melayu kecapi?

1. Bahasa Melayu - dah rojak, bahasa inggeris lagi preferred
2. Tulisan - tulisan jawi dah dihapuskan oleh menteri pendikan melayu
3. Biasiswa - PTPTN dah conquer
4. Tanah rezab melayu - dah nak kena jual
5. 30% DEB - bila nak capai?
6. kuota pendidikan - dah pakai meritokrasi
yg lain tu sila tambah sendiri

message 9: by Syahira (new)

Syahira  | 752 comments Josh wrote: "Haha, yeah now I'm back...."

oh fine. you want to go it that way. Did I prick some ego on you that you suddenly burst? For someone who just went into the forum solely to discuss something that have been debated in every known malaysian forum, its unnecessary to go to this length. But this is a bookworm community, not a political movement. I already had those in FB, twitter and lowyat.net.

Malaysia is a constitutional monarchy but the royal are still retaining the function in the country and thus Malaysia are called federal monarchy. I'm not royalist but this country was indirectly built out from supporting the royal movement. Without malay support, the royalties are just like Indonesian royalties and this country would be a republic. Thats what the Article 153 are about : maintaining the status of the malay royals today by giving their malay citizens a privilege so they maintain their own seats.

Why I bring up Jus Soli was that you have to understand the meaning of it. Its latin for giving the citizenship to whoever was born in the soil. This is one of the main reason why Malayan Union was heavily opposed because it would make the Malay royal ceased to even exist in the government.

Beside right after that, theres a chapter on Parti Komunis Malaya.

And I don't really need to talk long about something thats googlable. And its history book question. You have to think it like you're in 50s when the country is still being pressured by the british post world war. Do the guy in the pic even bother to look at the answer sheets.

And I'm just talking about the subject, not about current 21st century issue which is a whole lot matter than I'm underqualified for but clearly unrelated to the question in a history book.

I'm not that malaysian malay either. My greatgrandparents eloped from Solo, Central Java when my greatgrandmother's parents think my greatgrandfather was not noble blood enough to marry their daughter. Then my grandparents lived in Johore and after the separations as Singaporeans. My dad was a singaporean before he want a malaysian citizenship. I'm basically the real first generation Malaysian anyway. And life in singapore aren't so good for malays nor indians either. The government still have immigrants and citizenship issues even without article 153.

But Malay itself compromised from the influence of Sumatera's Malay kingdoms which was dominant to the outskirts of this peninsula. Thats why orang asli aren't being classified as malays and instead as bumiputera.

message 10: by fahmee (new)

fahmee (gorgom22) | 39 comments jomlah kita jawab soalan textbook tu...

"sekiranya anda seorang pemimpin, nyatakan dua langkah yang boleh anda lakukan untuk mempertahankan status quo orang melayu"

i...
ii...

jap... apa status quo orang melayu?

message 11: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Entah. Tak pernah saya pikir.

Jawapan:

1) Langkah pertama jika saya pemimpin, saya akan menggunakan Akta Keselamatan Dalam Negri (ISA) ke atas sesiapa yg menyoal status quo orang Melayu.

2) Langkah kedua, lihat langkah pertama.

message 12: by Eimad (new)

Eimad | 56 comments Khairul H. wrote: "Entah. Tak pernah saya pikir.

Jawapan:

1) Langkah pertama jika saya pemimpin, saya akan menggunakan Akta Keselamatan Dalam Negri (ISA) ke atas sesiapa yg menyoal status quo orang Melayu.

2) Lang..."

langkah kedua guna Ordinan Darurat.

message 13: by fahmee (new)

fahmee (gorgom22) | 39 comments Khairul H. wrote: "Entah. Tak pernah saya pikir.

Jawapan:

"

mana ada dah ISA... dah dihapuskan

message 14: by Fariza (new)

Fariza | 736 comments ISA? I'll never support this acts in any kind of situation.. it just not fair..

message 15: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (last edited Mar 13, 2012 02:37AM) (new)

Mohd Fahmee wrote: "mana ada dah ISA... dah dihapuskan "

That's what they want you to think.

Lagipun, ISA ke Ordenan Darurat ke...same same lah.

message 16: by Clerk Can (new)

Clerk Can | 146 comments Josh - maybe 8th generation malaysian, but not malay.
Shahira - 1st generation malaysian, but malay.

Status quo my ass!

message 17: by Faizah Roslaini (last edited Jul 04, 2012 06:18PM) (new)

Faizah Roslaini | 825 comments Mod
Status quo,

Melayu ada TMJ! WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!