Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2012! > Jason's 50 for 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments Hoping to hit more than 50 books this year but what I've finished so far:

1) 11/22/63 by Stephen King
2) Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert
3) American Rust by Philipp Meyer
4) Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
5) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer
6) Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson
7) The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan
8) The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments 9)This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments 10) The Wastelands by Stephen King

message 8: by Jason (new)

message 13: by Jason (new)

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments 21) 1Q84

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg | 48 comments How are 11/22//63 and 1Q84? I've been hearing good things.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments Gregg wrote: "How are 11/22//63 and 1Q84? I've been hearing good things."

Hi Gregg,

I thought 11/22/63 was one of King's better novels of the last ten years.

I enjoyed 1Q84 overall.

message 20: by Jason (new)

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Jason wrote: "Hoping to hit more than 50 books this year but what I've finished so far:

5) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer"

How was this?! It has been on my to-read list for quite awhile now and I'm debating whether I should move it further up or not, would you recommend it? =)

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments Tiffani wrote: "Jason wrote: "Hoping to hit more than 50 books this year but what I've finished so far:

5) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer"

How was this?! It has been on my to-read li..."

Hi Tiffani!

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Actually its my favorite by Foer so far. The thing that held it all together for me wasn't so much the narrator but all the characters around him.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Thank you, Jason! I've been looking for a final push into buying a Foer novel and it's been recommended to me so many times, time to dive in! :)

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments Tiffani wrote: "Thank you, Jason! I've been looking for a final push into buying a Foer novel and it's been recommended to me so many times, time to dive in! :)"

Awesome, Tiffani! I hope you enjoy it.

message 32: by Pollopicu (last edited May 26, 2012 06:42AM) (new)

Pollopicu Hi, just saw your name on the 50's list challenge and decided to click on it. It's nice to see an author who also reads. Many authors today don't read other people's works..pet peeve of mine. Thought I'd mention it. I live in CT with my husband as well. Good luck with your publication.

message 33: by Jason (last edited Jul 04, 2012 09:59AM) (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments Pollopicu wrote: "Hi, just saw your name on the 50's list challenge and decided to click on it. It's nice to see an author who also reads. Many authors today don't read other people's books..pet peeve of mine. Thoug..."

Hi Pollopicu and thank you for the well wishes.

I agree, it's somewhat mind-boggling when I hear about an author who no longer reads anything other than their own work; especially when there are so many great books out there to read!

From a craft stand point it's dangerous as well because you simply learn so much just by exposing yourself to what others have done.

Thank you again and I hope you have a great holiday weekend despite the humidity we have right now!

- Jason

message 34: by Jason (last edited Jun 03, 2012 06:08AM) (new)

message 37: by Jason (new)

message 38: by Jason (new)

message 44: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments 43) Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge

I think once I hit number fifty I'm going to read a really big book, maybe something like The Pillars of the Earth.

message 46: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 565 comments Jason wrote: "43) Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge

I think once I hit number fifty I'm going to read a really big book, maybe something like The Pillars of the Earth."

what a great idea! i've been wondering how to fit in
1Q84. i guess it'll be book number 51. thanks!

message 47: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments Naomi wrote: "Jason wrote: "43) Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge

I think once I hit number fifty I'm going to read a really big book, maybe something like The Pillars of the Earth."

what a g..."

Thank you :)

message 49: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 156 comments 46) Savages

« previous 1