Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

I've been carrying around a spare book in my bag, have you?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arnetra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Arnetra | 4 comments I'm currently reading a book but I've also been carrying around an extra book. Its so unimaginable to have a single moment without something to read.

message 2: by pop (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

pop I keep paperbacks in the car, in case i have to spend time waiting for the wife. I don't tote them around with me other than in the car. I don't really go anywhere where the car isn't handy.

message 3: by Karin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Karin | 13 comments As you say, it is certainly unimaginable to have a single moment without something to read. My husband was just making fun of me because I have a paperback book in the pocket of my robe, just in case I want to read. I'm most comfortable when I'm in my robe and when I'm comfortable, I like to read. What's so wrong with that?

message 4: by Vidya (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Vidya (srivisub) | 6 comments I agree with you. Its the same with me. Anyone wanting a good read can always find two or three books with me in my bag. My husband always jokes that i carry more books than money!!! But i just cant waste a minute that i get, after all with all the work that you do, every minute is precious.

message 5: by Karin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Karin | 13 comments I'm like you, I don't want to waste a single minute. So, on my way to and from work, I listen to an audio book because I feel the driving time would be such a waste if I couldn't be involved in a book. Sad, I know.

message 6: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Heather (trixieplum) I have to agree with all of you -- I get so frustrated when I'm caught somewhere waiting and I don't have a book to pass the time. I've taken to carting books around in my purse, my car, leaving a few at the office....

message 7: by Larain (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Larain | 2 comments I always have a spare book or two in my car just in case I get stuck somewhere.

message 8: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) I always carry a novel with me, and then I tend to keep an extra book at home and rotate.

So, right now, I'm reading Catch-22 as a novel, and rotate a set of poems/short story/etc. from one of my millions of anthologies every chapter.

That way, I get more read at once, and don't have to worry about getting in a bored groove of only reading anthologies once I finish my pile of novels-to-read.

Okay, that made little to no sense...

message 9: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 1 comments My husband and I recently just bought a bag that I call my "book bag". It is a purse, but it is large enough to fit a normal size book. Or Four rather. :-) I never leave home without it and at least two books...

message 10: by Judub (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Judub | 11 comments all my bags/purses have to be at least paperback book sized. does that answer your question? :p

message 11: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Rachael | 23 comments I usually have books in the trunk of my car because when people give them back to me, I usually forget to take them out.

message 12: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Elizabeth All my "purses" have to be at least paperback book sized too! I've rejected several cute purses on the basis that they wouldn't hold a book.

message 13: by Fenixbird (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 56 comments The main way I read...is to bring a book along with..in my purse or with my other textbooks..I have been reading The Kingdom that way THIS week...also at least 2 at my beside table (for whichever strikes the mood!!) Life is tooo short to not do what you enjoy the most!!

message 14: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Megan Garrison (mgarrison2) | 3 comments I bring a book with me everywhere I go.... MY husband just laughs at me, but I go insane without something to read!!!

message 15: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I do the same thing when shopping for a new purse. Each one tends to get a wee bit bigger. Actually, I dont think I can call the one I use now a PURSE...exactly... Its a mens messenger bag,(bought from Target in the mens dept), really worn out looking and has GIGANTIC pockets, so I can fit my usual "girlie" things (ex: wallet,datebook, mirror, my collection of chapstick, keys on a huge keyring,nail file,pens, bandaids,asprin,a heart shaped rock..you get my point), ANNNNNNDDD.... a large paperback or two (if I was in the habit of reading more than one book at a time, which I am not).

My husband thinks I am crazy. And I am pretty sure that around town I am known as the "crazy girl who has her nose buried in a book", I read everywhere... drs office, waiting at school to pick my son up, at walmart waiting in line.... Im never without a book.

message 16: by Don (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Don (donfoolery) | 27 comments I have four books in my bag, at this moment (at my parents' house for Thanksgiving), two of which had already been in my bag for the past week. I can't remember the last time I was truly bored.

message 17: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Thanks Seth, that is a truely comforting thought! At least someone is thinking of me, I always say.

;p

message 18: by Mont'ster (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Mont'ster | 58 comments I sometimes have to fly for work and I have gotten in the habit of carrying around a book in my laptop bag. Unfortunately, the way the bag is made it has to be a thin paperback book.

I will read in the airport and on the plane and then finish the book when I get home and put another small book that I haven't yet started into my laptop bag (not enough room for a book and a spare)

message 19: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I got caught without a book in my car over this weekend! Like all of you, I ALWAYS have a book with me to read - ALWAYS - and then the other day I was meeting a friend at their house (in a city with which I am unfamiliar) so i had to call him because I got a tad bit lost. Needless to say, I had to wait for him to come and find me - and i was BOOKLESS! Shame on me, and i thought that i needed to post this on this thread. It was awful ! Lesson learned.

message 20: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Elizabeth Not only do I keep a spare book in my bag, but I've taken to having a couple audio books on my iPod. The other day at work I went on my hour lunch only to realize I was 20 pages from the end.

message 21: by Fenixbird (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 56 comments Especially if you write very much, it is sooo true that reading expands your vocabulary!

Plus..so many new finds to read...I just can't wait!! Have had to bring 1 along with me lately!

message 22: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments Yes, I usually have at least one book but lately I had three or more in my book bag. A friend recently gave me the best book bag and I can (and have)carry up to 14 medium sized books in it.

message 23: by Meirav (new)

Meirav Rath | 13 comments Whenever I know I'll end up finishing the book I'm currently reading, I take the next book on the round with me, so I won't run out of things to read.

message 24: by S (new)

S (deobserver) | 4 comments Indeed. And just as uncomfortable not having a book on hand at all times, regardless of whether I get the opportunity to read it.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I usually bring a backpack everywhere, and be it to the doctors, meeting friends at the mall, shopping with my wife, there's always a book or two inside :) and my old Palm E2's bringing up the rear with a dozen or so ebooks. And also, when I don't carry my backpack, the pockets on my pants usually fits a paperback quite nicely.

message 26: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I always carry a book and/or magazine with me at all times. Comes in handy while waiting in long lines or for people who are never on time.

message 27: by Tommy (new)

Tommy | 3 comments guys are kinda screwed on this one. unless i make a startling move to the manpurse or fannypack, it ain't happening. i do have some stuff on my ipod to listen to ...

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I'm not the only one on this Hannah. The only thing is I need to actually read it:)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Meirav,
Yep having a back up book is very important:)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I think carrying around 4 books is ambitious. I think the most I can carry around is two. :)