Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
This topic is about Heir of Novron
The Riyria Revelations > Heir of Novron: Book #5 - Wintertide

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Risley (ElizabethRisley) | 228 comments This is the second to last book in the Riyria Revelations series - and boy it's a good one (probably my second favorite to the final book Percepliquis).

message 2: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Risley (ElizabethRisley) | 228 comments So it's been awhile since I've done my "play-by-play" on the books - but I'm going to try and do this again for the last two books as it tended to generate some discussions. So here goes.

Chapter 1: Aquesta
"Some people are skilled, and some are lucky, but at that moment Mince realized he was neither." -- I love the first sentence in this book - it starts it out strong - and I love the little street gang with Mince, Brand and Elbright. It's always fun seeing someone trying to "put one over on Royce" his explanation of what he would do the children if they rip him off was pretty frightening - a nice way to "scare them straight." It also was great to see Albert Winslow again - I love how he uses the impeding "job" as an excuse to get some better clothing - I really like seeing the differences between him and the short story The Viscount and the Witch.

Chapter 2: Into Darkness
Ah Arista - she's is a pretty bad way - and come to think of it...her story line was a bit of a cliffhanger from Emerald Storm - in that everyone else was kind of "wrapped up" but she was still locked in the prison. I loved her inner thoughts about Hadrian and Hilfred...and what a clever girl to get back at Edith Mon!! That was great.

Chapter 3: Sir Breckton
So I do have a bit of a crush on Breckton...I love how he was introduced. He's so loyal and "paladin like" - too bad he serves Archie - who is still such a dweeb. But I love how he is introduced.

Chapter 4: Wedding Plans
Speaking of introductions...Jenny was SO well described in this chapter - I so could picture the entire scene of her storming the halls of the castle and dragging poor Amilia in her wake. She is a force of nature to be sure.

And then there is the meeting with Amilia and Breckton - I don't think it's a spoiler to mention that they going to be "bumping into" one another quite a bit in this book - I love how he has no interest in competing until he learns that she is looked down upon - then he MUST defend her honor - what a great scene.

And then the appearance of the mirror!! Oh this really brings home the point just how depressed and lost Modina is I must say that I was indeed afraid of her killing herself in the prior books - and now with Arista gone and locked up - she is once more left without purpose and it's so sad to see her this way.

Chapter 5: Footprints in the Snow
It's really nice that Michael took an event from Royce's past to come back and benefit him. I had totally forgotten about the elf at the Silver Pitcher Inn and it was great to see the introduction of him once more. The horse is actually quite interesting in itself. A gift for Royce now...but for Myron later - and it will definitely play a part later on - a nice little interconnecting piece (which are now so visible that I've read the whole series.)

A great beginning to one of my favorite books!

Helen There are some fabulous scenes in this. I loved Genny racing through the castle commenting about dresses, jewels, men. Amilia was just pulled along. Breckton is perfect, that scene is great where he storms past the main baddies to his Lord.

I went straight into this as I couldn't leave Arista. I'm now nearing the end of the last book, fabulous. I've been raving about it to everyone.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Risley (ElizabethRisley) | 228 comments Wintertide really is an exceptional book. In many ways I thought...man there is no way Michael is going to be to top this. Especially the stuff that happens at the very end. It was starnge as I was reading along...the big climax occurs...everything is knitted up...but then there is still a whole lot of book left. I was perplexed and confused and then...wham...a whole nother hill on the old rollercoaster - and what a ride it was. Still, as good as Wintertide was...I must say Percepliquis puts it to shame. Putting both of these in one volume is an amazing collection of books under a single title.

Helen, you're lucky as you could go right from Wintertide to Percepliquis - I had to wait...and most impatiently too.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Risley (ElizabethRisley) | 228 comments So it's March - and we should be starting on the last book!! For those that are behind - no worries - I'd love to talk about any of the books - but the final one is "the big one" as they say. For those that just started the series with Orbit - you're lucky that the books are all out. And thank goodness for instant download of Kinde!

Helen I hadn't thought about how lucky I am Elizabeth. Read Crown months ago and enjoyed it then bought but didn't read Avempartha. When I read that recently I just basically kept going. I'm so glad i nominated the series and that it won.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Risley (ElizabethRisley) | 228 comments Oh I wasn't aware you were the one who nominated it. Nice going. I too am so glad that it won - it is a great series - especially when considering that it is a debut series.

Suzanne | 212 comments I just finished this part and of course will be going on to the next one immediately. Wow, I really enjoyed the first 4 books, but this one outdid them all.

message 9: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments Yeah Wintertide is a favorite of many people. What I like about it is most of the main "issues" get wrapped up quite neatly so that it almost seems as the series could end here. Except....there is still the big showdown to come that has been hinted at in the past so the real fireworks go off in Percepliquis.

I'm glad you liked Wintertide.

Michael Smith (mikes_2011) | 6 comments That actually surprised me when I first read it. The series could easily have ended with Wintertide and I wasn't sure there was enough loose threads to derive another novel out of, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised to see there was. :)

message 11: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments There are a few that would have preferred the series to end with Wintertide. Percepliquis however was the finale that I always wanted to tell and for me it is my favorite in the series.

Michael Smith (mikes_2011) | 6 comments Wintertide was an incredible book, and I can see the sentiment, but Percepliquis definitely tied up everything perfectly and really left you feeling like it was truly the way the series was meant to end. I am still hard pressed to pick a favorite, but it would be one of those two most likely if I had to pick one.

message 13: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments Thanks Michael - I'm glad to hear that.

message 14: by Ena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ena (enantoiel) | 36 comments Riyria started as a series I can have good time reading, occasionally laughing to the banter between our duo, expecting not much emotional straining. That expectation challenged by Rise of Empire and smothered (so far) by Heir of Novron. I'm constantly afraid for my favorite characters' well-being and suffering whenever their efforts goes to waste by constantly changing balance of the war.

***From this point on, spoilers!****

Having just finished Wintertide, the freshest favorite moment was when Hadrian repeats exact same words Gwen said just before she died. It was probably the only thing that could make Royce "hang on".

In the near past, I said something along the lines of "I want to see more of darker side of Royce", whatever I was romanticizing in my mind "darker Royce" would be and Mr. Sullivan replied that no I wouldn't. Now, I agree with him, wholeheartedly. Brief demonstration in this book was more than enough to put things into perspective.

The moment Arista let slip the one that helped her was a woman, I thought she could say she was Edith Mon. Good thing Sauly didn't care for small folk and never would have known Edith Mon was such a horrible bully and never could have helped anyone with anyting. Good riddance.

Seeing Thrace brave and strong once again, killing Ethelred instead of herself and taking regents out of the picture, stopping battle with Alric... Up until now, I was wondering why everybody kept calling Thrace "a strong character" in their comments about the series, now I know better.

Now we have a mystery child Arcadius is training. I seriously hope she is heir of novron, not Gaunt because I don't like Gaunt at all. It was so nice of him revealing his worth as a would-be emperor so plainly to us and to Thrace herself without realizing it.

Suzanne | 212 comments Ena, You expressed it perfectly about the emotional ramp-up. I found there were parts I didn't want to read about Royce because (spoiler for end of Wintertide) (view spoiler).

message 16: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments Ena! So glad to see you finished Wintertide.

Yes, several people have asked to see Royce "unleashed" or how he was before the influences of Hadrian and Gwen. It would not be a pretty sight.

And good for you for thinking about Edith Mon. Great minds think a like and I thought it was a particularly good way to deal with that character.

Thrace is very much like her father...when they have something to love...something to live for...they are as strong as granite. But without that they shut down completely.

As to the Mystery Child reaised by Arcadius. All I can say is once again... read on McDuff. All will be answered in the final installment, Percepliquis. I can't wait to hear your impressions of it.

message 17: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments Suzanne wrote: "Ena, You expressed it perfectly about the emotional ramp-up. I found there were parts I didn't want to read about Royce because (spoiler for end of Wintertide) [spoilers removed]."

Yeah (view spoiler)

message 18: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I read the first five chapters this afternoon, devouring fifty some odd pages more quickly than I realized. It's great to be back in this world again, after such a long break. If the pacing stays the same, I'll probably finish Wintertide tomorrow.

message 19: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments Nice Jon, I hope you are enjoying.

Suzanne | 212 comments I hesitated on Wintertide because of reasons I mentioned above - but I read the last book in two days! Who needs sleep? Well I DO need sleep but I needed the knowledge of what was going to happen more =)

Enjoy the book!

message 21: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments Wow - Percepliquis is the longest book of them all. That's a lot of reading for a weekend. I hope you had a good time.

Suzanne | 212 comments I had an excellent time - the last book was a great adventure and a satisfying conclusion to the series (although I could always go for more!)

message 23: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments @Suzane - well I'm starting to get the distinct impression that people want more. I'm still collecting data points but as the Magic Eight-ball says - all signs point to yes.

Suzanne | 212 comments Good! I (and I'm sure many others) would be very happy to revisit this world. And thankfully, you have created a rich universe - I suspect there is no lack of stories to be told!

Helen I was just going to ask whether any more books were on the horizon Michael. Excellent series.

message 26: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments I've written 3 books post Riyria - owe a stand alone and two others that are in a series. I've started editing the first one and am about 1/2 way through it.

message 27: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Michael wrote: "Nice Jon, I hope you are enjoying."

I finished Wintertide last night. I kicked myself all day at work for leaving the book languishing in my library with just thirty pages left to read.

I consider this the best of the bunch so far, or at least equal to the first one, Crown Conspiracy.

I won't get a chance to read the last book (I can't remember how to spell it well enough to search for it via the 'add book/author' link) due to Easter travel. I plan to pick it up as soon as I return from Texas though.

Thanks, Jon

message 28: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments You left the last 30 pages !! LoL - well glad to see you finished it up and glad you liked it. No worries about waiting for Percepliquis - it's not going anywhere. Have a good Easter and looking forward to your comments on the last book.

message 29: by Simona (new)

Simona Michael wrote: "@Suzane - well I'm starting to get the distinct impression that people want more. I'm still collecting data points but as the Magic Eight-ball says - all signs point to yes."

Well, THAT's a nice Easter surprise!!! Please add my post to the data points! I'll buy next books in advance...right now, if it helps!

message 30: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments Thanks Simona...I love how supportive you guys are. I'll keep you updated.

Michael Smith (mikes_2011) | 6 comments Definitely looking forward to it!!!

Margot (freezebaby) Whew, finished Wintertide a couple days ago. I'm falling behind--with so many other reading obligations to balance--but am definitely enjoying the series a lot.

I was definitely amused about the fate of Edith Mon, but also find it a little unbelievable. Considering the way Arista reacted to killing for the first time, back in Nyphron Rising, I would think that essentially sentencing Edith Mon to death would have more weight for her. She basically killed Edith. And being a mean, abusive, witchy old woman is not a crime commonly sentenced with death. I would have liked just a moment of remorse or second thought from Arista about it.

Amilia cried a bit too much in this book for me. And I would have liked to see more between Modina and Mince, more than just them first meeting and then their final department. Although I do quite like that it was Mince's love for his empress that finally made Modina want to live again.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the great scene when Hadrian attended his first feast as a knight. I loved watching Hadrian feel like a fish out of water here. I also felt like I got a lot more sense of Nimbus, as a character, in this scene. I never before would have described him as someone who would bandy words with the nobles. He's so often a wallflower in other scenes, more a prop than a person, so it was nice to see him take action.

I too loved the storyline between Amilia and Breckton. I was initially thrown off, though, because I had always thought something would develop between Amilia and Gerald, Modina's personal guard. The first meeting between Royce and Marius was great. I liked how the magic robe seemed to have a mind of its own, and how Mince communicates with it.

message 33: by Michael (last edited Apr 11, 2012 03:47PM) (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 302 comments Hey Magot, no worries about falling behind. Just love hearing the feedback. Glad you are enjoying the series.

Good point about Arista and Mon...I think the bottom line she was backed into a corner and had to give up someone...and that wasn't going to be Modina or Amelia. The only "bad" person she could come up with was Edith...and many rejoiced at her fate...but you're right Arista should have felt bad about that.

Glad you liked the feast scene...yeah many like the way that Nimbus slapped around the people there. It was a rare time when he let loose a bit.

Writing "Mince and the Robe" was a great deal of fun to be sure. As to Royce and Marius...a lot of people expected there to be blood shed when those two get together...the fact of the matter is the scales were not balanced and that has always stayed Royce's hand.

Thanks for the great comments and observations.