What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historic: Marriage by proxy to a Prince

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack | 5 comments I read a book many years back and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. Here's what I remember of the plot:

An aging King goes to find a bride for his warrior son who's off to war. Heroine is unwilling, so much so, they had to put her in chains. When he comes back he's appalled and demands they release her, and she's understandably pissed at all of them. I think her uncles pretty much sell her off. There's a scene where they are in the library I think, and she throws a knife at him and misses him by inches, and he takes a nap naked on the floor. His father comes in and thinks he's dead but he isn't. There's also jester who sees how bad they treat her and tries to help her. I think at the end of the book, they find some kind of mythical sword to fend off an invading army...

I think there was also a scene with him showcasing his strength by ending a piece of iron with his bare hands. She also bends a piece of iron by creating a lever.

It may have had a purple or dark green cover I think

I don't know if I'm mixing many books, but I'm stumped. Anyone have an idea?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 41 comments If you are still looking for this one, you might check out the Romance Novel Book Sleuth Goodreads group: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/6...

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 158 comments Could it be from this series? This specific one doesn't ring a bell...

http://www.goodreads.com/series/42021...

message 4: by Lee Anne (new)

Lee Anne (ladyofrohan2995) | 182 comments Warprize? Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan I haven't read it, so I don't know if it fits or not, but it seems to have the right type of relationship setup.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (dejameek) | 53 comments No, in Warprize she is highly treasured. She doesn't have temper tantrums or anything and the romance is not "force her into submission until she succumbs." Don't get me wrong, I love that kind, but it is definitely not Warprize.

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney  | 80 comments Is it anything by Catherine Asaro? I feel like this sounds like The Misted Cliffs (Lost Continent, #2) by Catherine Asaro or maybe one of her other works?

message 7: by Jack (new)

Jack | 5 comments It doesn't seem to be it. It would have been published sometime in the 90's or early 2000's. There were some books by Johanna Lindsey (Once a Princess) and Betina Krahn (The princess and the barbarian) in the lot.

Lee Anne wrote: "Warprize? Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan I haven't read it, so I don't know if it fits or not, but it seems to have the right type of relationship setup."

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack | 5 comments There was also a part where she was plotting to have the Hero's cousin/or someone else "deflower" her so the marriage is annulled, but the hero found out and replaced the guy and got the deed done. He brought her some kind of white flower (jasmine or lilly I think) and because it was dark, she didn't realize it was him. At the end of the book, I think she tried to confess and he laughed it off.

message 9: by JennyG (last edited Feb 04, 2013 07:43AM) (new)

JennyG | 552 comments It sounds like The Heart and the Holly (Hearts and the Lands, #3) by Nancy Richards-Akers The Heart and the Holly by Nancy Richards-Akers

or it could be The Viking's Woman by Heather Graham The Viking's Woman (Viking, #2) by Heather Graham

message 10: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 552 comments Have you ever found the book you are looking for?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39882 comments Mod
Jack....are you still looking?

message 12: by Jack (new)

Jack | 5 comments Yes, I'm still looking. I checked out The Heart and the Holly and that wasn't it, sadly... I think I'm just mixing up my books now, because I found and old post on a forum that had even more to the story.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 14: by Jack (new)

Jack | 5 comments Yep, still looking... but not so hard anymore. I probably mixed up my books.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Jack, bump your book every month or so. This will bring new eyes to your search. Also, if you think of any clarifying details it can help old eyes think of something new.

message 16: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 552 comments I'll throw this one in just in case... Highland Belle (Devereaux Family, #1) by Patricia Grasso Highland Belle by Patricia Grasso.

message 17: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 552 comments Have you checked out The Viking's Woman by Heather Graham I suggested on a previous occasion?

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?