Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) Clockwork Angel discussion

funniest quotes

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Jem: ... Sometimes I want to strangle him.

Tessa: How on earth do you prevent yourself?

Jem: I go to my favourite place in London, and I stand and look at the water, and I think about the continuity of life, and how the river rolls on, oblivious to the petty upsets of our lives.

Tessa: Does that work?

Jem: Not really, but after that I think about how I could kill him while he slept if I really wanted to, and then I feel better.

Will: "I want to be back before dark. I have an assignation in Soho this evening with a certain attractive someone"

Tessa: "goodness if you keep seeing six-fingered Nigel like this, he'll expect you to declare your intentions"

"Look at him. The face of a bad angel and eyes like the night sky in Hell. He's very pretty, and vampires like that. I can't say I mind either. Black hair and blue eyes are my favorite combination." ~Magnus Bane...... :D This one made me feel very warm and fluffy inside...... for reasons you would not understand unless you have read TMI also. :)

Will: We'll probably have to knock down the door --

Jem: *opens door* Or not.

Will: Now, that's simply laziness.

And of course...

Tessa: A little girl robbed you?

Will: Actually, she wasn't a little girl at all, as it turns out, but a midget in a dress with a penchant for violence, who goes by the name Six-Fingered Nigel.

Jem: Easy mistake to make.
Gabriel: Nice work in there, Herondale, setting the place on fire. Good thing we were there to clean up after you, or the whole plan would have gone down in flames, along with the shreds of your reputation.

Will: Are you implying that the shreds of my reputation remain intact? Clearly I have been doing something wrong. Or NOT doing something wrong, as the case my be. Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel! I seek scandal and low companionship.

Gabriel: Is there anything that isn't a joke to you?

Will: Nothing that comes to mind.

Gabriel: You know, there was a time I thought we could be friends, Will.

Will: There was a time I thought I was a ferret, but it turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee "I promise to charm the dickens out of him,' said Will, sitting up and readjusting his crushed hat. 'I shall charm him with such force that when I am done, he will be left lying limply on the ground, trying to remember his own name.'
'The man's eighty-nine', muttered Jem. 'He may well have the problem anyway.”

"Will: "Well, she's not responding to my advances," he observed more brightly than he felt, "so she must be dead." Jem: "Or she's a woman of good taste and sense."

“Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?”

“Must you go? I was rather hoping you'd stay and be a ministering angel, but if you must go, you must."

"I'll stay," Will said a bit crossly, and threw himself down in the armchair Tessa had just vacated. "I can minister angelically."

"None too convincingly. And you're not as pretty to look at as Tessa is," Jem said, closing his eyes as he leaned back against the pillow.

"How rude. Many who have gazed upon me have compared the experience to gazing at the radiance of the sun."

Jem still had his eyes closed. "If they mean it gives you a headache, they aren't wrong.”

“So you're a Shadowhunter,' Nate said. 'De Quincey told me that you lot were monsters.'
'Was that before or after he tried to eat you?' Will inquired.”

“My name is Herondale," the boy said cheerfully. "William Herondale, but everyone calls me Will. Is this really your room? Not very nice, is it?" He wandered toward the window, pausing to examine the stacks of books on her bedside table, and then the bed itself. He waved a hand at the ropes. "Do you often sleep tied to the bed?”

“They’re not hideous,” said Tessa.
Will blinked at her. “What?”
“Gideon and Gabriel,” said Tessa. “They’re really quite good-looking, not hideous at all.”
“I spoke,” said Will, in sepulchral tones, “of the pitch-black inner depths of their souls.”
Tessa snorted. “And what color do you suppose the inner depths of your soul are, Will Herondale?”
“Mauve,” said Will.”

“Did you just kiss me?" Will inquired.
Magnus made a slip-second decision. "No."
"I thought-"
"On occasion the aftereffects of the painkilling spells can result in hallucinations of the most bizarre sort."
"Oh," Will said. "How peculiar.”

“He gazed amusedly down the table at Tessa. “You’re the shape-changer, aren’t you?” he said. “Magnus Bane told me about you. No mark on you at all, they say.”
Tessa swallowed and looked him straight in the eye. They were discordantly human eyes, ordinary in his extraordinary face. “No. No mark.”
He grinned around his fork. “I do suppose they’ve looked everywhere?”
“I’m sure Will’s tried,” said Jessamine in a bored tone.”

“I think I may be in love with you, Sophie," said Will. "Marriage could be in the cards.”

message 3: by Ria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ria And Will, ducking his head, sank his teeth into the vampire’s forearm.

De Quincey yelled and jerked his arm away; Will flung himself to the side, retching, and rolled to his knees to spit blood onto the stage. When he looked up, glittering red blood was smeared across the lower half of his face.
His teeth shone red too when he—Tessa couldn’t believe it—grinned, actually grinned, and looking at de Quincey, said, “How do you like it, vampire? You were going to bite that mundane earlier. Now you know what it’s like, don’t you?” De Quincey, on his knees, stared from Will to the ugly red hole in his own arm, which was already beginning to close up, though dark blood still trickled from it thinly.
“For that,” he said, “you will die, Nephilim.”
Will spread his arms wide. On his knees, grinning like a demon, blood dripping from his mouth, he barely looked human himself. “Come and get me.”

Gabriel: Nice work in there, Herondale, setting the place on fire. Good thing we were there to clean up after you, or the whole plan would have gone down in flames, along with the shreds of your reputation.

Will: Are you implying that the shreds of my reputation remain intact? Clearly I have been doing something wrong. Or NOT doing something wrong, as the case my be. Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel! I seek scandal and low companionship.

Will: There was a time I thought I was a ferret, but it turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't.

“Must you go? I was rather hoping you'd stay and be a ministering angel, but if you must go, you must."

"I'll stay," Will said a bit crossly, and threw himself down in the armchair Tessa had just vacated. "I can minister angelically."

"None too convincingly. And you're not as pretty to look at as Tessa is," Jem said, closing his eyes as he leaned back against the pillow.

"How rude. Many who have gazed upon me have compared the experience to gazing at the radiance of the sun."

Jem still had his eyes closed. "If they mean it gives you a headache, they aren't wrong.”

“Poor thing?” echoed Will rather rudely.
“He rather got himself into this, didn’t he? No one told him to run off and get himself involved with a bunch of Downworlders.”

“Really, Will.” Charlotte eyed him coldly. “Can’t you have a little empathy?”

“Dear God,” said Will, looking from Charlotte to Nate and back again. “Is there anything that makes women sillier than the sight of a wounded young man?”
Tessa slitted her eyes at him. “You might want to clean the rest of the blood off your face before you continue arguing in that vein.”

“My name is Herondale," the boy said cheerfully. "William Herondale, but everyone calls me Will. Is this really your room? Not very nice, is it?" He wandered toward the window, pausing to examine the stacks of books on her bedside table, and then the bed itself. He waved a hand at the ropes. "Do you often sleep tied to the bed?”

Jem: “Then forget Gabriel. Is there a particular reason you keep biting vampires?”
Will touched the dried blood on his wrists, and smiled. “They don’t expect it.” “Of course they don’t. They know what happens when one of us consumes vampire blood. They probably expect you to have more sense.”
Jem: “That expectation never seems to serve them very well, does it?” “It hardly serves you, either.”

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Apr 07, 2012 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie Sorry, they're not funny but they are amazing:)

“Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.”

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

“It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.”

“There's plenty of sense in nonsense sometimes, if you wish to look for it.”

And my favorite of all:
“I believe in good and evil," said Jem. "And I believe the soul is eternal. But I don't believe in the fiery pit, the pitchforks, or endless torment. I do not believe you can threaten people into goodness."

Tessa looked at will. "What about you? What do you believe?

"Pulvis et umbra sumus" said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows. What else is there?”

Caitlin Will : the handsome young fellow trying to save you from a horrible fate is never wrong not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs.

Will looked horrified "what kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate? "

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ How could have everybody forgotten this one:

“Demon pox, oh, demon pox,
Just how is it acquired?
One must go down to the bad part of town
Until one is very tired.
Demon pox, oh, demon pox I had it all along—
No, not the pox, you foolish blocks,
I mean this very song—
For I was right, and you were wrong!”

Tessa Alexia -Team Malec :) wrote: "How could have everybody forgotten this one:

“Demon pox, oh, demon pox,
Just how is it acquired?
One must go down to the bad part of town
Until one is very tired.
Demon pox, oh, demon pox I had..."

One of the best ones!!! :D

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ Yeah, It's awesome :D