Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive Discussion > Who is your favorite Audiobook Narrator?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juliette (new)

Juliette (juliette614) | 31 comments I love Marguerite Gavin(Kim Harrison's Hollows series and Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series) and Jim Dale (Harry Potter, Star Catchers and Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan...I have a 6 year old who loves thoes books!).
Who do you love??

message 2: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 123 comments Of the top of my head i can only recall Marguerite Gavin. I cant imagine a book where she'll fail. The ones i heard from her was absolutely brilliant. She really have a flair for narrating.
I think i have mentioned that in another post somewhere on GR. But i suppose it cant be said too much heh.

message 3: by Juliette (new)

Juliette (juliette614) | 31 comments I also love Cassandra Campbell (Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld Series) and Finty Williams (Liz Kessler's Emily Windsnap Series)

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 279 comments I have never listened to an audio book but recently I have heard of so many people doing it.

What do you enjoy most about audio books?

Thanks for any insight I might try one out soon.

message 5: by Sally (last edited Feb 29, 2012 12:09PM) (new)

Sally (dobsew) I love audiobooks. For about ten years I found it difficult to pick up a book and read it from cover to cover. I'd get maybe a couple of chapters read and then never open it again. Listening to audiobooks got me back into books and going off into different worlds. I listen to my audiobooks whilst driving, taking my dog for a walk, even doing the housework. It was when I was half way through a series and the rest of the books weren't available in the UK that I turned to ebooks and now, if I'm not listening to books my nose is in my Kindle.

I don't have a favourite narrator to speak off but some books that I loved and have listened to over and over are The Help by Kathryn Stockett , The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins and The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer . The narrators in the UK are quite often different from the US but either way, I find the narrators give the book another dimension which is brilliant.

message 6: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 123 comments Heather wrote: "What do you enjoy most about audio books?"

For me its about freeing my hands to do other stuff.
I got a headset that allows me 50m between me and my pc, so i can get household chores done whilst listening to the audio book.
Its also great on the days where one is tired and the eyes hurt or if your sick and cant be bothered to read a book.
Thats what i enjoy the most about the audio books.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 279 comments Thank you Sally and Zafia! The main reason I am looking into this is for days when I need to be doing chores or other activities when what I really want to do is read. Now I could do both :)

message 8: by Zafia (new)

Zafia | 123 comments Heather wrote: "The main reason I am looking into this is for days when I need to be doing chores or other activities when what I really want to do is read. Now I could do both :)"

But do yourself a favor, before buying audio books - Listen to a sample of that particular narrator thats narrating. Some really do suck in the bad way. I've found a couple to be really grating on my nerves with how they pronounce the words and their intonation.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) Nathaniel Parker who narrates the Artemis Fowl series. He has a distinct voice for each character. Love him!

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Ross | 7 comments I don't listen to many audio books but I've enjoyed a few by Emilia Fox.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 155 comments Aasne Vigesaa who did Bitten.

James Marsters who did all but one of the Storm Front, Dresden Files series.

Susan Ericksen who did most of the in Death series starting with Naked in Death

Phil Gigante who did all of the Highlander seriesBeyond the Highland Mist and the last few book in the Fever series.

message 12: by Juliette (new)

Juliette (juliette614) | 31 comments Heather wrote: "I have never listened to an audio book but recently I have heard of so many people doing it.

What do you enjoy most about audio books?

Thanks for any insight I might try one out soon."

I love the freedom it gives you. I have rheumatoid arthritis, and sometimes it hurts to keep my hands in the same position and hold open
a book. I also love listening to books while doing mostly anything, housework, grocery shopping, just hanging out. I love being read to. An audiobook is a performance, the voices the excitement ... It is comforting as well. I love really listening to stories before bed, as does my 6 year old
Just like being a kid and having a bed time story read to you!

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Ross | 7 comments Burn Gorman did an excellent job on 'Everyone Says Hello' (Torchwood)

message 14: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Saunders (thebrat68) | 1 comments Khristine Hvam She does Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock Series... I love it when she is Beast!!!

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianes) James Marsters, who narrated the Dresden Files books (except for the last one).

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Diane wrote: "James Marsters, who narrated the Dresden Files books (except for the last one)."

I had to get used to him at first, but by Fool Moon, I wouldn't want anyone else.

For me, it's more of a combination between story and Narrator. Not every Narrator is right for every book.

I really liked Simon Preble reading Declare and "The Hidden Oasis"

I liked Leonard Nimoy reading Red, White and Black by Ted Dekker.

message 17: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I forgot to add, that I didn't think Simon Prebble did that great a job on the James Rollins Novels. So, to me, the story that's being narrated makes a difference too. (and I don't mean good or bad story, but some stories fit certain voices and energy levels better than others.)

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori | 9 comments I know it's not PNR, but I LOVE Jim Dale reading the Harry Potter books. He does such an awesome job. I also like Lorelei King who read the Charlie Davidson series.

message 19: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 20 comments I'm a big fan of Justine Eyre. She narrates The Fallen series by Lauren Kate, and The Blood Books series by Tanya Huff.

She also narrates a ton of normal romance books!.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori | 9 comments Gavin wrote: "I'm a big fan of Justine Eyre. She narrates The Fallen series by Lauren Kate, and The Blood Books series by Tanya Huff.

She also narrates a ton of normal romance books!."

Yes, i believe she narrates Guild Hunter series and Deadly series by Cynthia Eden which is what I'm listening to now.

message 21: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I have listened to 10 audiobooks so far.
My top 3 are:
Kate Reading who read The Host
Lorelei King who read Moon Called (Mercy Thompson series)
Kimberly Alexis who read Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blakes series)

The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton

message 22: by S.L.J. (last edited Jul 16, 2012 08:46AM) (new)

S.L.J. (sammyslj) | 66 comments I'm not sure if it counts but it has to be Stephen Fry for Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I know it was in a movie but he was still technically narrating a book. :P

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori | 9 comments S.L.J. wrote: "I'm not sure if it counts but it has to be Stephen Fry for Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I know it was in a movie but he was still technically narrating a book. :P"

Actually he also narrates the audiobook of the same name.

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianes) I forgot all about The Host. I agree that Kate Reading did a great job narrating that book.

message 25: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (kimisokool) | 22 comments I love audiobooks because I can listen in the car on my way to and from work. I started off just reading. I read so many books last year but at the time I didn't have a job. Now, I'm working all the time so I don't have much time for reading so I listen to books in the car and even sometimes at work when I'm doing something that doesn't require too much thought like filing and such. It's great. And it's hilarious when I get really into it with like Lords of the Underworld. I'm thinking "If only someone here knew what I was listening to." Hahahha

Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆ | 2 comments Marguerite Gavin for women and Campbell Scott for men.

message 27: by Tina Theresa (new)

Tina Theresa | 47 comments Cynthia Holloway is my favorite. She has narrated Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine, Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance, Nightshade series by Michelle Rowen, and the Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill.