Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: "Gigi’s Favorite RoM" > Favorite Reads - February 2012

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Hi!! So, its that time again...wow, time goes by so quickly. This month has been a really really really slow reading month for me. I'm still reading Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (Highland Pleasures, #2) by Jennifer Ashley . Its pretty good. Anyway, what about you? What were your favs and your duds for the month of February?

message 2: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Hi Gigi! I keep meaning to read that one, but haven't gotten to it yet.

My faves for Feb were:
Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs - emotional but gripping
On the Island  by Tracey Garvis-Graves - an unexpected treat
and Duncan's Bride (Patterson/Cannon Family, #1) by Linda Howard

My duds:
The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) by Jaci Burton A perfect example of "Don't judge a book by it's cover - oh and wipe the drool off your chin"
The I Hate to Date Club by Elda Minger Slim to None by Jenny Gardiner

message 3: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments CaroB wrote: "Hi Gigi! I keep meaning to read that one, but haven't gotten to it yet.

My faves for Feb were:
Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs - emotional but gripping
On the Island  by Tracey Garvis-Graves - an une..."

What did you think of Duncan's Bride? That's a fav.

message 4: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I loved it! Such wonderfully strong characters. I sometimes get caught up in reading a lot of PNR with action and fast-paced plots, that it was extremely refreshing to just read a well-written contemporary romance with awesome characters and heaps of sexual tension... *fans face* Reese was smokin'!

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments FAVS of FEBRUARY

5★’s
The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt Mistress for a Weekend by Susan Napier

4½★’s
Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2) by Zoe Archer

Best Audios - 5★’s
Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) by Lisa Kleypas
Currently listening to this one and it looks like it will be on the list… may carry over into March: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare

Fast, Sweet & Hot! - so, worth mentioning!
Defying the Odds (Battered Hearts, #1) by Kele Moon 4★

Once I calmed down & got over the Aarhghh factor. . .
Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs 4★

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I've got to re-read Duncan's Bride (Patterson/Cannon Family, #1) by Linda Howard . Loved it. ☺

message 7: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments There's a sequel to Duncan's Bride (Patterson/Cannon Family, #1) by Linda Howard . It's Loving Evangeline (Duncan & Evangeline, #2) by Linda Howard which I really liked. I thought the heroine was well done, but it includes typical romance tropes like the virgin widow and the alphole hero. Still, I really enjoyed it.

My favorite book for this month was Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1) by Dana Marie Bell . Love those bear shifters (and one called Bunny-OMG).

message 8: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I've only ever read one other bear shifter and it was hilarious. I might have to give Bear Necessities a try!

message 9: by ~Megan~ (last edited Feb 29, 2012 05:49AM) (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) Shockingly, I had only two 5 star reads this month: The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt and Innocent in Death (In Death, #24) by J.D. Robb . I think that was the best JD Robb book I've read in a good long while, and The Raven Prince was just sheer bliss.

Others that I greatly enjoyed:
Wildest Dreams (Fantasyland, #1) by Kristen Ashley Law Man (Dream Man, #3) by Kristen Ashley - I love you Kristen Ashley! LOL!

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins - The first book enthralled me, the other two left me incredibly depressed. I think this was the most depressing series I've ever read. I can't even think of one thing good that happened, except (view spoiler).

Maverick Wild (Wild, #2) by Stacey Kayne - Really great western, and a suuuuper hot cover!

DNF'd: Caine's Reckoning (Hell's Eight, #1) by Sarah McCarty - I can't even talk about it.

message 10: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments My favorites:
Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2) by Brent Weeks

I also gobbled up a lot of Susan Napier's backlist and of these, I love, love Mistress of the Groom by Susan Napier Mistress for a Weekend by Susan Napier

I also had quite a few re-reads this month - the Psy-Changeling series especially which I'm not counting.

The biggest dud for me was Cross My Heart by Katie Klein . A typical YA romance which did nothing for me. Overhyped and it needed editing.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, this is fun! To see what everyone loved - and didn't, LOL! ☺

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sandra J, I liked the sequel to Duncan's Bride (Patterson/Cannon Family, #1) by Linda Howard -- Loving Evangeline (Duncan & Evangeline, #2) by Linda Howard also!

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Man-oh-man! You are zipping along in the In Death series, Megan! You are way ahead of me. Drat! Didn't get one done this month. Too much Real Life interference.

I think I'm going to add Maverick Wild (Wild, #2) by Stacey Kayne -- off to check it out.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Jyl22075 wrote: "The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) by Jaci Burton was a dud for me as well. Such a shame. I wanted to love it because of how pretty the cover is."

I totally understand, Jenny! I felt the same way, LOL! I am such a book-cover-ho! ☺

message 15: by Joann (new)

Joann | 495 comments 5 star reads for February:
Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4) by Chloe Neill Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) by Chloe Neill One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin Rogue (Shifters, #2) by Rachel Vincent On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews

Honorable mention:
The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) by David Weber

message 16: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and read the Chicagoland Vampires series....everyone seems to rave over them. I've heard there is a love triangle...is it agonizing?

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, Joann, I just LOVED On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews !!

Megan, I'm going to have to bite that same bullet. Too many people just love that series.

message 18: by Joann (last edited Feb 29, 2012 08:35AM) (new)

Joann | 495 comments Megan - I'd call it a very loose triangle. However, there are other agonizing (in a good way for a reader) parts which just makes the series so great.

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 56 comments My top February reads...

Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3) by Marsha Canham The Wild Rose (The Tea Rose, #3) by Jennifer Donnelly The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1) by Kristen Ashley

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Sandra J wrote: "There's a sequel to Duncan's Bride (Patterson/Cannon Family, #1) by Linda Howard. It's Loving Evangeline (Duncan & Evangeline, #2) by Linda Howard which I really liked. ..."

I might have liked Loving Evangeline (Duncan & Evangeline, #2) by Linda Howard , more Sandra J. I loved the male hero in that one.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments ~Megan~ wrote: "Shockingly, I had only two 5 star reads this month: The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt and Innocent in Death (In Death, #24) by J.D. Robb. I think that was the best JD Robb book I've read in a good long whi..."

Oh, that gets me excited to read Innocent in Death (In Death, #24) by J.D. Robb . Going to read #20 next, so not too many more.
And I completely agree with you on The Hunger Games, Megan. It was the best and the others left me emotionally drained and unhappy, especially Mockingjay, so much loss in that book that wasn't necessary. Felt like the writer just wanted the series over with, IMO.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Joann wrote: "Megan - I'd call it a very loose triangle. However, there are other agonizing (in a good way for a reader) parts which just makes the series so great."

~Megan~ wrote: "I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and read the Chicagoland Vampires series....everyone seems to rave over them. I've heard there is a love triangle...is it agonizing?"

I've been thinking of starting it, but like Megan, the love triangle impression I have has been putting it off for me. Glad to hear it's not as bad as I might have thought, Joann.

message 23: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) Yes Heather! Mockingjay was ridiculous, and what was up with (view spoiler) It left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Top Reads:
Divided in Death (In Death, #18) by J.D. Robb -several heart-clenching moments throughout. And Visions in Death (In Death, #19) by J.D. Robb , the bathroom scene with Eve and Mavis really got to me. (I've become very predictable in my monthly faves, huh? lol)

Also really enjoyed Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini Singh and Enticed by His Forgotten Lover (Pregnancy & Passion, #1) by Maya Banks . Will be continuing both series in March. Yay!

Utter let downs:

Forever Mine (The Rumor, #0.5) by Delilah Marvelle glad this was a short story, wouldn't have made it through otherwise.
Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones . Disappointment all around.

message 25: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ~Megan~ wrote: "Yes Heather! Mockingjay was ridiculous, and what was up with [spoilers removed] It left me with a bad taste in my mouth."

I felt the same way, Mockingjay was disappointing. I absolutely loved The Hunger Games but the series went downhill afterwards.

message 26: by Heather (last edited Feb 29, 2012 09:15AM) (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments ~Megan~ wrote: "Yes Heather! Mockingjay was ridiculous, and what was up with [spoilers removed] It left me with a bad taste in my mouth."

So senseless to me. I cried because the author ruined the entire series with that act and with Katniss (view spoiler). So much invested and it felt like the author just gave up and didn't care about these characters anymore.

message 27: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) Oh, I so agree with that Heather...I couldn't believe she did that.

message 28: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) I finished Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2) by Lisa Kleypas yesterday, and MUST add it to my favorites for February list!

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments This thread had been archived.