Love Inspired Historicals discussion

to much info in book descripton

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Hi all. I wonder what you think of book descriptions that say to much or mention something that happens near the end of the book.
The last one I read and reviewed has so much in the description that I feel gives to much of the story away.
It mentions somthing that happens in the last 50 or less pages of the book and the reason it happens (which was in the last 20 pages). I am not sure who writes these up but I felt after reading the book then seeing the description it basically tells the story or is synopis of the book rather than a brief blurb.

I read another one recently where it mentioned something on the back which ended up happening right at the end of the book. I want an idea of what the book is about but I dont want to be told what happens in the end. I like the ones that ask a question like.
Will Annie over come ..... or will Joshua be able to .... but they don't give anything away.

I think both books talked about a forced marriage but it happened so late in the book it could have not been mentioned to have greater impact.

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
I agree that no one wants to have the plot given away on the back cover.

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy I have to be careful when I'm writing reviews. I like to write them to remind myself what I read but a few times people got mad at me. I don't try to give anything away that people would not normally assume. It is a fine line depending on who is reading it. I never heard of that happening on the book blurb itself though!

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments the book is Promised to another by Laura V Hilton and if you look at the blub at amazon it gives all the info, Goodreads gives some and Christianbook is good.
its part of first wildcard tours and it just says way to much.
I figure if its not in the first chapter or two or the blurb I try not to mention it in a review. I find it hard also to review at times because there is so much I would like to say but I dont like to be told whats going to happen in a book so try not to say anything either. I hadn't read the blurb of this book but would have been annoyed reading it as I feel it tells way to much of the story considering some of the stuff it mentions happens towards the end of the book.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy I say enough that when I look at my review, I will remember what that book was about. But I try to be careful. Still working on putting more in what I thought of the book. I like more info in a blurb or review to know what I"m getting into. Amazing how God made us all so unique :-)
Off to bed. I work every day from this past Sunday until April 2nd so I best get plenty of sleep! Just read a quick free read tonight though. Been carrying one of Shirlee McCoy's books with me for 3 days but here if work hasn't been too busy for me to have time to read. How dare it, right? :-) Have a good day Jenny.

message 6: by Shaz (new)

Shaz (zabooksihaveread) | 1 comments I agree. I often don't read the blurbs too much on backs of books as I don't want to be finding out what is likely to happen. I also don't read the back of the book first because I don't want the story to be spoiled or appear to predictable if I know what is going to happen IYKWIM.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (httpgoodreadscomrealityshowgirl) | 24 comments I don't want to know what happens at the end of the book either.

message 8: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments i haven't found it with LI books or heartsong presents. also haven't had an issue with Barbour books but its happened a couple of times this year.

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee Ryan | 206 comments I agree with you! I think the book description should be more about the set-up of the book and the characters rather than reveal important plot points.

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments My back cover blurbs haven't given away the story ending but I have had reviews that gave away a secret. As Judy said, reviewers walk a fine line.

message 11: by Carla (new)

Carla Capshaw (carlacapshaw) | 987 comments Mod
I agree with you, Jenny. Too much info on the back isn't helpful. To me, a good back blurb serves as a hook, but the story should be left inside the book.

message 12: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I agree Carla and Janet, I don't find a problem with LI books they have that hook.
Janet I do understand about the reviews. I dont read many reviews before reading a book maybe if I am unsure. I often read after especially if I couldn't get into a book or if I had an issue with a book.

Janet Marie Dowell | 153 comments When I write a review I try to tell how I feel the characters and what they mean to me. I do put in a few details about the book, but I always end a review with "If you want to see what happens, you have to read the book" or something to that effect. It is really hard to write a review without giving the story away.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I try not to give the story away when I review books. I haven't run across a back blurb that gives away too much either. I am very thankful for that. I tend not to read reviews before reading the book for fear of something being given away. I remember that when the Harry Potter Books were coming out my brother and I made sure that the TV and Computer stayed off until we were both finished with the book for fear of finding out to much!

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Nelson (jessicanelson) | 27 comments Jenny, before I started writing there was an author who had such great premises/blurbs that I'd pick up the book and then...wait...and wait...after about 4 books I gave up.
Now, my rule of thumb that I picked up from agent Kristen Nelson is that the blurb on the back should encompass what happens in the first fifty pages of the book.

message 16: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Jessica, thanks for the info. I appreciate what you said. I think the rule of thumb is great cos if it happens in the first 50 pages its great. Same with reviews I think as long as they just cover the first couple of chapters (with information) its a good way to work too.
The book I read and reviewed I went with the Christianbook blurb as it was really good and only part of the book and didn't mention some of the things the other blurb gave way. I think a blurb and synopsis are totally different. when I want to know whats happening or happened in a tv show I look for a synopsis which gives enough info to know what happened if you missed the episode.

message 17: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I don't mind knowing what happens, I often read the last few pages first... I'm weird I know... ;) In a review I really just try to say if I liked it or not, and how much I love the hero and heroine for I figure everyone knows about them from the back of the book! :) Sometimes I say what lessons I learned through my time reading, how it helped me in my life. That's why I love LI so much, it's more than just a cute story, always a faith builder for me. :)

message 18: by Susan F (new)

Susan F | 147 comments I totally agree on LI being a faith builder Melody. My sister-in-law reads the last pages too. Now I know there's two of you in the world. LOL! I like your approach to a review. I want to write good ones without ruining the book for someone.

message 19: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I have been known to look at the last pages but it depends on the book and its not normally till I am part way through. That is a good thing with the kindle its harder to read the ending.
The books I read reading I knew the two would either marry or be engaged but it was saying something like a forced marriage that told to much as if you were reading it this didn't happen till the last 40's or so pages of a 300+ book. I am glad I didn't know this was going to happen.

message 20: by Melody (last edited Mar 04, 2012 08:06PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Give your sis in law my regards SF! I am glad to know there are two of us!!! :)

message 21: by Susan F (new)

Susan F | 147 comments LOL, I will Melody!

message 22: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Hehe thanks! :)

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
I mind this less in reviews than I do when it's in the description on the back of the book. Harlequin is usually pretty good about not spilling the beans, though I have heard of authors upset because the "secret" that isn't revealed until quite a ways into the book is there on the back for all to read.

I wish they would let us read the blurb before it goes out and report any major problems like that.