Janet Tronstad - Dry Creek & Other Stories discussion

Let's Leap Into Romance Today!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 1207 comments Mod
It's leap year and I can't wait to ask if you would ask a man to marry you. What's your thoughts. I just found out that in Scotland of yore (1288) they passed a law that women could do the asking on February 29 (every four years when the day came around) and that, if the man didn't say yes, he had to give her a gift (really pay a fine). The gifts were often a pair of gloves. GLOVES, I say??? Doesn't make up for a diamond ring!! what do you think? Would you ask the man on the one day you could??

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, and I meant to ask if any of you can think of books where the heroine did the proposing! I haven't written any of them, but I have read some fun ones (if I can only remember the titles).

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments They had this on tv today with some ladies who had asked. they mainly asked cos the man was taking so long.
I think its a cool idea. being aussie we have grown up hearing today is the day women ask men to marry them. (its the 29th here)

I am sure I have read a book where its happened but cant think of one of hand.

message 4: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm glad the Aussie's embrace the day, too. I think any independent-minded country would!

message 5: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments We have a couple at church celebrating there 12th wedding anniversary today. its easy for me to remember as they got married 3 days after I was born. The lady was saying remembers me as a baby and when I was born. I was due around March 1 or 2 but cos mum had a c section I was going to be born 24th or 26th. Our pastor just missed it also as he was born on the 1st on a leap year.

message 6: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, I've heard of people who have birthdays on Leap Year, but a wedding would be cool.

message 7: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments They were farmers and they worked out with the other couple also getting married in Feb that the other couple got the first Sat in Feb and they took the last not knowing it was leap day. I had a penpal born on leap day.
Oh another thing were learnt was anyone on a fixed annual income doesn't get paid for Leap day as its not figured into the yearly wage. But if you get paid fortnightly or weekly they will be paid.

message 8: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, that's interesting, Ausjenny -- particularly about the wages. How true!

message 9: by Cecelia (new)

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 7 comments Leap year! I just noticed that it was Leap Year last Monday. I had to pay $50 to my son's Karate teacher since he'll be testing for his yellow belt on Wednesday. I had to fill out paperwork and place the test date on it. I asked the instructor, what date is Wednesday. He said, "That's the 29th." I said, "This year is a leap year?" He said, "Yeah, it is."
I haven't given it much thought, really. I usually don't. But it is kinda cool having 29 days in February every four years. I had to explain this concept to my son! He mistakenly thought today was the first day of March!

message 10: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments this reminds me of Sadie Hawkins day, wasnt leap year but they set aside a day women could go after her man, there was a comic called little abner and Daisy Mae and they lived in Dogpatch. does anyone remember this??
I think if I were young and had a special fella in mind I might like the idea of doing the asking...

message 11: by Cecelia (new)

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 7 comments I remember Sadie Hawkins day. It reminds me of the Leap Year custom that Janet is talking about. I do recall that our school had a Sadie Hawkins day dance and the girls were supposed to ask the boys to go to it. It's a very vague memory for me, I don't really recall asking anybody to go....

message 12: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, I rememember Sadie Hawkins dances. I can't remember if I asked anyone to go or not. Back then, we mostly all just went dateless to the dances anyway.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I asked my hub to marry me, cuz I knew I would wait forever for him to do the asking. It was only uncomfortable for about 10 seconds, then he grinned and said YES!!!

message 14: by JanetTronstad (new)

All right, Karen!! That's the way it should be!

message 15: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments Karen thats so cool.

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Daley (margaretdaley) | 37 comments Ausjenny wrote: "They were farmers and they worked out with the other couple also getting married in Feb that the other couple got the first Sat in Feb and they took the last not knowing it was leap day. I had a pe..."

That's interesting what one day can do to a person or in the case of the people who are on a fixed income not to that person.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Daley (margaretdaley) | 37 comments Karen wrote: "I asked my hub to marry me, cuz I knew I would wait forever for him to do the asking. It was only uncomfortable for about 10 seconds, then he grinned and said YES!!!"

I love that, Karen.

message 18: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments Karen the brave one in our group, glad it worked out for you and he didnt say NO...

message 19: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments I was talking to a friend today and she proposed to her husband 8 years ago.

message 20: by JanetTronstad (new)

I think that's cool when I hear of someone who proposed like that.

message 21: by Melody (new)

Melody | 304 comments I only learned about that while watching Rachael Ray, and some lady proposed to her 7 year boyfriend. I thought it was about time! I would like a book like that, even though I do like the guys doing the asking, a chivalry thing I suppose... ;)

message 22: by JanetTronstad (new)

I think offering a proposal is better than giving the man an ultimatium (ie, propose to me by next Saturday or I'm breaking it off with you).

message 23: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments A friend in England proposed on Wednesday to her boyfriend.

message 24: by JanetTronstad (new)

This year, Ausjenny!!!!! How cool is that????? What did he say?

message 25: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments Yes. seems he still wants to do a proper proposal.

message 26: by JanetTronstad (new)

Good for him, Ausjenny!!

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 136 comments Im not sure that I would ask a man to marry me - Ive always dreamed of a romantic proposal.. =D

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa wrote: "Im not sure that I would ask a man to marry me - Ive always dreamed of a romantic proposal.. =D"If you know he is the one, and you know he will NEVER ask because he thinks he doesn't have anything to offer, you either do it yourself or you shut the door on a great relationship. I valued the relationship over the piddly matter of who did the asking...but that's just me...

message 29: by JanetTronstad (new)

Yeah, in that case, Karen, simple encouragement probably wouldn't have been enough. And, you're right -- it's who you end up with that's most important.

message 30: by Melissa (last edited Mar 03, 2012 04:51PM) (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 136 comments Karen wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Im not sure that I would ask a man to marry me - Ive always dreamed of a romantic proposal.. =D"If you know he is the one, and you know he will NEVER ask because he thinks he doesn'..."

Karen, I agree with you, its who you end up with that counts. Im divorced and then I met someone else,..he passed away 3 days after we got married.
We were planning on getting married, but he was waiting for the rings that we ordered before he proposed...the rings were on order..then he got sick, we planned our wedding in 2 hours. =)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Janet Tronstad wrote: "Yeah, in that case, Karen, simple encouragement probably wouldn't have been enough. And, you're right -- it's who you end up with that's most important."

Janet, Brent was paralyzed from an accident 10 years before and had been dumped by his then-wife while in hospital having another surgery. He believed no one could see him as other than a burden, so he wouldn't ask. In fact, he was telling a story about some girl years earlier who wanted to marry him, but he knew she was a flake. I said,"Well, I agree with her on one thing: I would marry you in a minute if you'd let me!" (Ten second period of silence) "Really? When?" We were married 4 months to the day we met...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa wrote: "Karen wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Im not sure that I would ask a man to marry me - Ive always dreamed of a romantic proposal.. =D"If you know he is the one, and you know he will NEVER ask because he th..."

Melissa, I'm sorry for your loss, but I suspect you are able to rejoice in the fact that you were able to pull it together and be joined before he passed away. I only had Brent for about 4 years, but I cherish that time, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

message 33: by JanetTronstad (new)

Karen and Melissa -- you are both courageous women, able to see true love when you find it. Hugs to you both.

message 34: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 287 comments You ladies are so courageous and lovely. Just hearing about your life makes me want to know and understand some things about you...please do share. I have been having some issues and I need to remember that we all have sadness es and problems...may the Lord bless you bountifully~

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote: "You ladies are so courageous and lovely. Just hearing about your life makes me want to know and understand some things about you...please do share. I have been having some issues and I need to rem..."

Mary, I am willing to talk about my life with and without Brent, but not tonight. If you can wait until the mood strikes me, I will be happy to tell the stories. Often people say its like a fairy tale...

message 36: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, now you have me curious, Mary. I'll look forward to the mood striking!

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 287 comments Yes, your timing, my dear.

Lord, I pray now for Janet's trip and keeping her safe, these other lovely ladies, writers, editors and readers, librarians, etc. Thank you for showing me how writing fiction can be a Christian Spiritual thing and a calling. You are still teaching me so many things, please continue to open my heart. Mary

message 38: by JanetTronstad (new)

What a lovely prayer, Mary. And to everyone else -- I am constantly amazed at how we can build friendships even though we don't know each other in real face-to-face life. I feel humbled to be surrounded by women such as all of you.

message 39: by Melody (new)

Melody | 304 comments I echo your statement Janet. Humbled and so very, very blessed...