Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > What is an acceptable magazine?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments I recently obtained a copy of the first issue of REX STOUT Mystery Quarterly. Each issue is like an anthology, in that each contains multiple stories (novels, novellas, and shorts). An in-print equivalent might be EQMM or Alfred Hitchcocks Mystery Magazine. I was considering adding it to the database, but was not sure it was allowable.

I know GR allows but does not encourage magazines. However, the Librarians Manual lists the following as allowable:
* periodicals and bound comic books with ISBNs
* periodicals without ISBNs but substantially similar to books (eg, perfectbound literary magazines)
* single-issue magazines and comic books on an individual and unencouraged basis, although they should be typed as "periodical" in the work: media type field
Could the permissibility of such "story collection" magazines be clarified, especially for the preISBN publications.

Thanks.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Sorry, but one more piece of useful information:
WorldCat lists this as a book (http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/33495563) but also as a periodical (http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/9096750)

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments Looks to be closer to an anthology than a magazine. I've never seen a 165 page magazine before, personally.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Ralph wrote: "Looks to be closer to an anthology than a magazine. I've never seen a 165 page magazine before, personally."

Well, it is about as thick as a 160 page paperback, the the same height as a MMP, but an inch wider. The covers look like the magazine covers you see at any grocery store checkout. The pages themselves look like newsprint.

It is really very similar to EQMM, Alfred Hitchcock, Asimov's Science Fiction, or Galaxy, except older.

message 5: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments While one of your worldcat examples does have it listed as a periodical, I think it would fall under the following from your first post:

* periodicals without ISBNs but substantially similar to books (eg, perfectbound literary magazines)

I would go ahead and add it.

Since you are a librarian, you can add a librarian note, with a link to this discussion, stating that it should not be deleted.

message 6: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments vicki_girl wrote: "I would go ahead and add it."

Thanks, I will.

But back to the other half of the original question: Could the permissibility of such "story collection" magazines be clarified, especially for the preISBN publications.

Is EQMM acceptable?
What about AHMM?
Asimov's?
And one of my favorites, Black Mask?
I doubt Reader's Digest would be, but maybe.
I'm pretty sure Atlantic Monthly is OK, but where and how do we draw the line?

message 7: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Generally it's a judgement call on the part of librarians, on a case by case basis. One thing to look for is whether the pages are stapled. Those usually don't qualify. If they are perfect bound (glued) they might be okay.

I would agree with you that Reader's Digest would not qualify. It has stories, but also articles, humor sections, etc. If the majority of the publication is stories, then it could be added. Looking at Wikipedia, I think Asimov's Science Fiction would be okay but Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, probably not.

Again, though, it's a judgement call. Speaking for myself, I generally don't delete periodicals unless they are something like Men's Health or Vogue.

message 8: by Greg (last edited Apr 18, 2012 04:15AM) (new)

Greg | 99 comments What happens when a stapled monthly comic becomes digitised and is made available as an ebook? Is it then treated as a book?

I'm thinking, for example, of a 4-part comic series called Bump, which was created and written by Mark Kidwell, with artwork shared between the author and Jay Fotos. Each issue is circa 30 pages in length and is available as a free download on Apple's iBooks.

Can these be added as four distinct books that also form a series or should they be excluded because they are only digitised version of comics?

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Greg wrote: "What happens when a stapled monthly comic becomes digitised and is made available as an ebook? Is it then treated as a book?

I'm thinking, for example, of a 4-part comic series called Bump, whi..."

If you do add it, you might consider using a single entry, and putting "4 vols" in the Edition area. Of course, it would then be listed as an ebook with the page count being the sum of the 4 books.

message 10: by Cait (last edited Apr 18, 2012 11:08AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Greg wrote: "What happens when a stapled monthly comic becomes digitised and is made available as an ebook? Is it then treated as a book?"

That's a tough edge case; I've been wondering about that too. And would it make a difference if it's an ongoing publication or a miniseries or a single issue?

Technically speaking, ongoing publications that are considered periodicals should be considered periodicals whether they're printed or digital, but it's a much messier line between "collected issues: book" and "single issue: not a book" when there's very little practical difference between the collected issues and the single issues except knowing which one is which. And it's much more common now to have cases like this one for "Bump", where the four issues together really would be considered a book except that they were never released that way.

On the next hand the number of which I've lost count, then you open back up that can of worms which contains the listing of every comic book issue ever in a system not at all designed to track comic books and which therefore is going to do a frustratingly bad job of it, even though lots of people will use it in order to get all of their reading material in one place.

(In other words, I feel wishy-washy about the whole thing and am hoping someone else has clearer ideas.)

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg | 99 comments Peter wrote: "Greg wrote: "What happens when a stapled monthly comic becomes digitised and is made available as an ebook? Is it then treated as a book?

I'm thinking, for example, of a 4-part comic series calle..."

But wouldn't that be a bit misleading since all 4 parts are separate ebooks?

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Greg wrote: "But wouldn't that be a bit misleading since all 4 parts are separate ebooks?"

No more so than for print books. The edition information would make clear that there are 4 volumes and the format would show that they are each ebooks. I've seen several examples in the database already. However, I would also give the individual volume identification information (ISBN, ISSN, etc.) in the description area.

The alternative is to enter each of the 4 volume as a separate book, with volume 1 of 4, volume 2 of 4, etc., as appropriate, in the edition or title area.