The Piano Teacher The Piano Teacher discussion

Who else....

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katharine ...would LOVE to see "The Piano Teacher" adapted into a film??? It's a very cinematic novel.

Suzy Adcock The atmosphere and scenery would be amazing if they could recreate it.

Priyam Sethi I personally think they wouldn't be able to find faces who would be able to fit the characters without seeming contrived. I don't know - I would love for this to be a film, but I just can't see anybody fitting the faces in my mind...and I feel like anything else would just be a disappointment. LOL. It was very visually written though - as I was reading it, I could see it playing out in my mind. A lot of people hated the book, I didn't.

Katharine I wonder why so many people hated it? Personally I didn't like the ending, but I still enjoyed the book as a whole. Exceptional characters I thought, and cinematic imagery to boot!!!

Dani Excellent book and could make a fine movie if cast and directed properly!

message 6: by i. (new) - rated it 5 stars

i. I loved the book, really wonderful and I agree with Dani it could make a fine movie. I think it is the book to read if you are travelling to Hong Kong.

message 7: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cat I kept thinking that while I was reading it!
Especially that scene where Claire and Will are arguing after the Chen's party!
Also there was that promotional quote from Elle magazine that said 'This season's Atonement'. I loved that film and ended up crying while watching. I have no doubt that this would probably do just as well.

Jennifer Priyam wrote: "I personally think they wouldn't be able to find faces who would be able to fit the characters without seeming contrived. I don't know - I would love for this to be a film, but I just can't see any..."

Well said, I felt the same way while reading. I wanted to see it as a movie but then again I wouldn't want to spoil the movie in my head.

Nora Katharine wrote: "...would LOVE to see "The Piano Teacher" adapted into a film??? It's a very cinematic novel."

I had that thot, too.

message 10: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora This book encompassed so much of everyone's personalities, needs, greed, confidence or lack thereof, how circumstance shape us all. I didn't understand why the piano teacher stole from the employer? Wow, when we learn who the little girl really is......

Katharine I thought that she stole because she felt so unfulfilled in her marriage/life. If they turned the book into a movie they would probably leave that part out, (it's not really that necessary anyway).

I wonder why the author hasn't written anything else. It drives me crazy when someone writes a really great debut and then drops off the face of the earth, like Arthur Golden after he wrote Memoirs of a Geisha.

message 12: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee I would definitely love to see it adapted for the big screen. I feel like, as you said, it's a very cinematic type of novel, with excellent attention to detail, which generally translates fairly well.

message 13: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Katharine wrote: "I thought that she stole because she felt so unfulfilled in her marriage/life. If they turned the book into a movie they would probably leave that part out, (it's not really that necessary anyway)...."

Katharine wrote: "I thought that she stole because she felt so unfulfilled in her marriage/life. If they turned the book into a movie they would probably
leave that part out, (it's not really that necessary anyway)...."

Good point. thnx. I didn't care for the ending, either, but on the whole, I was glad I read it.

message 14: by V. (new) - rated it 4 stars

V. Katharine wrote: "I wonder why so many people hated it? Personally I didn't like the ending, but I still enjoyed the book as a whole. Exceptional characters I thought, and cinematic imagery to boot!!!"
I loved the book, but I was also disappointed with the ending. It felt unfinished somehow. The love story didn't need to be with a happy ending per say. It's just that the reason I read this book at a much faster pace then others this year longing to see how the story would end... I was hoping to a different ending and the one I read is just not sitting well with me.