Mock Printz 2022 discussion

Irises
This topic is about Irises
Mock Printz 2013 > Irises by Francisco X. Stork

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Irises tied for first in our March 2013 poll. Stork's previous books The Last Summer of the Death Warriors and Marcelo in the Real World were well received by students, with Death Warriors taking a YALSA Best Book. But, can Francisco X. Stork finally achieve literary gold with Irises?

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) | 68 comments So, I got about 100 pages into this and just had to give up. Both of the lead characters lacked depth for me and I could not connect to the story at all. Very flat writing style. Maybe I just don't like his writing style? I was one of the few who wasn't enamored with Marcelo in the Real World...

message 3: by Edi (new) - rated it 1 star

Edi (crazyquilts) Whitney, I couldn't finish it either! I couldn't help but think Stork had a deadline to meet so he pulled out an old manuscript, barely dusted it off and got it published. The book read like an adult romance that needed some revisions. Definitely not his best work.

Cheri | 19 comments Whitney wrote: "So, I got about 100 pages into this and just had to give up. Both of the lead characters lacked depth for me and I could not connect to the story at all. Very flat writing style. Maybe I just don't..."

Glad there are two other people who feel the same way I do. I'm reading it slowly but surely, but there is no connection with any of the characters and I'm feeling I can predict the ending??

Jennifer (miss_jenlv) | 6 comments I was also pretty disappointed with this title. The book description had me intrigued and I am a big fan of Marcelo in the Real World so maybe my expectations were too high? I agree with Whitney that the writing felt very flat, and like Cheri I felt no connection to any of the characters. It wasn't so terrible that I chucked it aside in disgust :), but I can't imagine it will hold up well against some of the other titles being published this year.

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 52 comments Since there's not much positive talk about this book here, I thought I'd add a little in. Here's my "review":

Definitely a book to be savored! "...a seed of peace..." Such a beautiful, evocative, inspiring thought that any of us can find at least that (as a start), no matter what has happened to us in our lives. This is not your typical novel, and there's not as much of a conventional "story" as even Stork's other two novels. This is more of a meditation, one that I, personally, needed to read over a long period of time. Every time I picked it back up, I was completely absorbed by it again, like I had never stopped reading, even if a month had passed by, and by the end it caught me up and made me pay attention until I was finished. Not a book that will work for everybody, but one that I wish more people would read, as it really strikes at the heart of figuring out what's important for each of us, and making hard choices in the midst of pain.

message 7: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Bartels | 6 comments I gave up on this book after 3 chapters...so boring! The characters didn't feel even remotely believable and I found pretty quickly that I didn't really care what happened to them. But I have to admit I'm not a fan of this author...I didn't read Marcelo in the Real World but Last Summer of the Death Warriors was not very good and I found myself resenting the several hours I gave up to read it.