BTS Book Club discussion

What are you Reading? > What's the next hottest genre in books?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Wilhelm | 282 comments Mod
Obviously, in horror the IT item is Zombies. In romance Steampunk seems to be on the rise. At least I didn't know what it was until a few months ago.

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Layne (dianalaynebooks) | 8 comments I still don't know what Steampunk is. Can anyone recommend some good books? Also, what is dystopian?

message 3: by Gael McCarte (new)

Gael McCarte | 4 comments I have written a steampunk lite I am trying tog et published so I hope it is that genre, it is minus the mountains of rotting flesh, the gargoyles and the aliens.

Steampunk is a sub culture now, it has its own festivals, seminars and clothing etc lines. It is set in Victorian England (mine is in Scotland) and Europe. It involves mysterues from the unknown side, knowledge beyond the day, strange machines, steam trains and unlikely inventions. Can be set in any time in the past from the 1700's to early 1900's from what I can see. It has its own language too. Can be romance or erotica.

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy Wilhelm | 282 comments Mod
I hear the Iron Duke is good.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Diana wrote: "I still don't know what Steampunk is. Can anyone recommend some good books? Also, what is dystopian?"

I second that The Iron Duke is great. If you're looking for more erotic stuff, Cleis Press has two erotic steampunk anthologies that are pretty awesome.

Steamlust Steampunk Erotic Romance by Kristina Wright Carnal Machines Steampunk Erotica by D.L. King

There are also a bunch of excellent steampunk stories over at the Carina Press site you might want to check out.

message 6: by Joelle (new)

Joelle (joelleclista) | 17 comments I agree with reader above seems to be Steam punk now!

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana Layne (dianalaynebooks) | 8 comments Gael McCarte wrote: "I have written a steampunk lite I am trying tog et published so I hope it is that genre, it is minus the mountains of rotting flesh, the gargoyles and the aliens.

Steampunk is a sub culture now, i..."

good to know! thanks!

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana Layne (dianalaynebooks) | 8 comments Christine wrote: "Diana wrote: "I still don't know what Steampunk is. Can anyone recommend some good books? Also, what is dystopian?"

I second that The Iron Duke is great. If you're looking for more erotic stuff, C..."

Thanks! I'll check it out!

message 9: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) I'm seeing a lot of cupcake stories in romance/chick-lit/women's fiction. Anyone else noticed that?

message 10: by Joelle (new)

Joelle (joelleclista) | 17 comments Agreeing with Zee I have seen a lot too ! Steam punk novels are on the rise and I have seen and increase with stories a lot more with Fairies in them of late.

message 11: by Lindsay Downs (new)

Lindsay Downs | 16 comments Same here but there are certain genres that will, I think, always hang on. Regency/Victorian (not steampunk) and mystery/suspense will always be desired by readers. The only thing with those genre is authors need to break from the traditional molds and head into new, unchartered, directions.

message 12: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) Romantic suspense with kick-ass heroines, like Angelina Jolie's Evelyn Salt character, seem to be on the up and up. Noticed a few agents asking for this lately on Twitter, plus places like Entangled Publishing have set up dedicated lines to heroine-centric romantic suspense

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Fielding (hannah_fielding) Judging by the sensation created by Fifty Shades of Grey, I'd say erotic romance. Which perhaps will allow me to step up the passion scenes in my novels from here on; what fun!

Hannah x