Hunger Games Trilogy discussion

Mockingjay > Peeta's Hijacking

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
What was the first thought that went through your head when you learned that Peeta had been hijacked? I was definitely shocked...very shocked.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I was like that's not true stop lying to me! then I got really sad and did read the book for about 20 seconds and continued to read even though it was sad.

message 3: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! That CAN'T happen to PEETA! Peeta of all people! He's the best male character in the series!!!!!!

message 4: by An Extremely Avid Reader's Reviews, Assistant Head Mod >♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new)

An Extremely Avid Reader's Reviews (literarymary) | 167 comments Mod
I was yes Gale might be able to get Katniss, but I was super disappointed...

message 5: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (last edited Mar 15, 2012 05:59PM) (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
I wondered at first if this was a turning point in the series...would Katniss choose Gale now since Peeta was, in words of Katniss Everdeen, "deranged"?

message 6: by Emely (new)

Emely Villela (emelyvillela) | 6 comments I also thought that was just a way for Gale and Katniss to straighten out their friendship and then merge it into an actual relationship. But Gale didn't, to me, try as hard to be with her as like Peeta would have. Though I know after the first games Peeta and Katniss didn't spend time together when they returned home, but still. I was disappointed about Gale's lack of perseverance for Katniss. However, maybe that was difficult because she would always get mad at him for everything. Though that would happen because they clash a lot on certain choices and opinions.

But I am all forth for Peeta, since the beginning.

message 7: by Emely (new)

Emely Villela (emelyvillela) | 6 comments And man was I so hurt by the condition he returned in. It was karma for Katniss but poor Peeta didn't have to go through that /:

message 8: by An Extremely Avid Reader's Reviews, Assistant Head Mod >♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new)

An Extremely Avid Reader's Reviews (literarymary) | 167 comments Mod
Leah wrote: "I wondered at first if this was a turning point in the series...would Katniss choose Gale now since Peeta was, in words of Katniss Everdeen, "deranged"?"

I was sooooo hoping that

message 9: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
:)

message 10: by MeKayla (new)

MeKayla | 5 comments i was so suprised and thought that peeta would remain crazy 4evr

message 11: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
I did too...I definitely saw it as a possible turning point.

message 12: by Kate9 (new)

Kate9 | 285 comments Emely wrote: "I also thought that was just a way for Gale and Katniss to straighten out their friendship and then merge it into an actual relationship. But Gale didn't, to me, try as hard to be with her as like ..."

People keep saying Gale didn't try hard enough to be with Katniss, but I think he really wanted to be with her but knew she was already with Peeta. He knew it was hard what she was going through and didn't want to pressure her.

message 13: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
Yeah, that's definitely true...I've just always thought that Gale and Katniss were too alike to be truly HAPPY together. They got into too many little spats, especially when they were both under a lot of pressure.

message 14: by Kate9 (new)

Kate9 | 285 comments YES! Definitely. Like I said before, they are too much like brother and sister.

message 15: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
Yeah!

message 16: by Waa3ody (new)

Waa3ody | 3 comments i was sad at first but after i thought about it i was like now they will be togather it always happened the hero will be gone and you think that he will naver get back but they always fight through it <3

message 17: by Taggerung (new)

Taggerung | 8 comments I first read it, and I was NOOOOOO SUZANNE YOU'VE BASICALLY KILLED MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!!!!!!!! So I hated mockingjay's ending because Peeta was never fully better. However, I read a brilliant fanfic a month later, that went into how Peeta and Katniss worked it out and got back together. It was extremely well-written in my opinion, and it played it out so well, that I now actually like the highjacking. I still think Mockingjay would have been a hundred times better with a part 4 that was like that fanfic, before getting into the epilogue. I think she wa afraid to write a super long book, but I love really long good books, I'm sad when they end!

message 18: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
It really escalated the whole "love triangle" thing. It was starting to get a little...I'll use dull for lack of a good word...because we knew she'd pick Peeta, because she'd fallen in love, yadayada. But when he was hijacked, it could have very well been a turning point, because the author could have very easily made it so the damage was irreversible and Katniss found that she loved Gale, and they lived happily ever after. I think it's drawing on the saying, "Bad things happen to good people."

message 19: by Lola (new)

Lola | 1 comments MAN I THOUGHT IT WAS SO MESSED UP I MEAN PEETA HE'S SO NICE AND CUTE AND CUTE AND NICE AND DID I MENTION CUTE I WAS LIKE PRESIDENT SNOW U WENT TO FAR AND HE TRIED TO STRANGLE HER I JUST LOST IT

message 20: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
Nicely said. :)

message 21: by Kate9 (new)

Kate9 | 285 comments I didn't think Peeta was going to get better...

message 22: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
Me neither.

message 23: by Leah (new)

Leah | 11 comments Peeta's hijacking was the toughest pill to swallow in MJ. The deaths were hard too, but I was prepared for that. What happens to Peeta was so unexpected, at least to me. His character was always this shining beacon of hope throughout the series, and to have that taken away was really difficult to get through.

I kept hoping there would be some point in the book where Peeta's true memories would somehow magically be restored like when a person with amnesia remembers who they are. Totally unrealistic, but still, I hoped.

I really wish SC had delved more deeply into his recovery, like how he and Katniss slowly found their way back to each other and eventually regained what they had lost. I think she could easily write a fourth book or a short story about what happened to all of the characters as they rebuilt their lives. But that's just wishful thinking ;)

message 24: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
Amen. It would have been an excellent ending as far as the whole love triangle thing. The last part of MJ should have focused more on that, not reminiscing over the deaths.

message 25: by Ashli (new)

Ashli | 39 comments Lola wrote: "MAN I THOUGHT IT WAS SO MESSED UP I MEAN PEETA HE'S SO NICE AND CUTE AND CUTE AND NICE AND DID I MENTION CUTE I WAS LIKE PRESIDENT SNOW U WENT TO FAR AND HE TRIED TO STRANGLE HER I JUST LOST IT"

Those were my thoughts almost exactly. I felt like the world had ended! I thought, "Oh no- Peeta will never be the same... all hope is lost...:("

message 26: by Leah, What do you mean mockingjays don't really exist??? (new)

Leah | 1378 comments Mod
Exactly

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

The first thing I thought when I found out Peeta was hijacked I was like, "HOW DARE THEY[the Capitol]?!" And then I started mentally cursing at Suzanne Collins.