Hunger Games discussion

Hunger Games Movie > Turning books into movies; is it really special anymore?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adena (new)

Adena (dinoxouris) | 205 comments taking away the joy of feeling special after reading a good book that almost no one else around you knows about by turning it into a movie... something we can all relate to.

message 2: by Adena (new)

Adena (dinoxouris) | 205 comments Don't you guys feel at least a TINY bit disappointed that now that everyone knows about the HG? I used to wear my mockingjay pin all the time and people would stop and ask me about it. Now, well now that everyone's in on it, it's not really special anymore.

Have any of you experienced something like that? Doesn't even have to be with the HG. Can be about anything. (books turned to movies specifically)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, my goodness! Yes! That's exactly how I feel! It used to be that I could introduce THG to someone. But now it's even in the tabloids, it's all over YouTube...everyone knows. It's so different. I think the fandom will die when the movie comes out, because a bunch of wannabe fans on fire that have only seen the movie will try to take over.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth_jones8) My biggest issue is that lately i sometimes read books and its almost as if its written specifically to be made into a movie and it makes me sad.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I'm excited about the movie. There's definitely something to reading the book first and getting your own ideas on setting, characters, and pronunciation. Then, you have added fun when they come to life.

The first book is staged perfectly for a screenplay. Collins expertly moved the tempo of book 1 by playing with action and description.

I wonder about the visual gore. I felt that the first book remained innocent despite all of the bloodshed and battle. Do you think that the violence may overwhelm the story in the movie?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Nope. The bloodiest death is Cato's, then Marvel's. All the rest are not...violent, per se. Katniss just shoots and bam, they're dead.

message 7: by Adena (new)

Adena (dinoxouris) | 205 comments um.. excuse me.. Glimmer? RUE??? those were pretty graphic too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

How did I forget Glimmer? Sorry. She was so disgusting that my brain must have just...tuned it out.

Rue's wasn't so bloody as sad.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Glimmer and the other career chick who died w/ tracker jackers

message 10: by Lydia, I love PSYCH (new)

Lydia (lydiapatch) | 1015 comments Mod
Yeah but i kinda feel that since everyone knows about it i can talk about it with lots of people and that makes me happy

message 11: by Adena (new)

Adena (dinoxouris) | 205 comments True dat!

message 12: by Patrick (last edited Mar 26, 2012 03:46AM) (new)

Patrick Satters I just saw the new Hunger Games movie and wrote a blog post about the differences between book and movie for all the people who are unsure if they should watch it. may you have found other differences.

http://patricksatters.blogspot.com/20...

there are quite a lot which needed to be adjusted for the movie, like cutting out characters. i think its hard to make a movie out of a book in context of the story. hunger games were easier because of the action sceneces, but there a lot of books which won't be adopted and thats maybe a good thing. besides a movie depends a lot of a good budget, therefor it's good to be excited if your favourite book gets adopted with the necessary budget.

message 13: by Lydia, I love PSYCH (new)

The link does not work... it says the blog is no longer up.

message 14: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Satters oh really? a new try

http://patricksatters.blogspot.com/20...

or the main page:

http://patricksatters.blogspot.com

i hope it works this time.

message 15: by Lydia, I love PSYCH (new)

Cool it wrks now

message 16: by Lauren, Head Gamemaker (new)

Lauren (laurengibson) | 3009 comments Mod
Thanks Patrick. That's great.

message 17: by Letizia (new)

Letizia (camilaletizia) | 5 comments I have to admit that sometimes I think about it. Some books I would like them to turn to movies, because I would like to see how would the seem in real life; but the bad side is that sometimes it takes away all the sparkling given to you when you read the book. The sparkling is the ability to create yourself the image of each character and event. Obviously everyone has a different creativity. But for the most part I prefer to read instead of watching the movie, but the majority of the movies comes from books.
In addition, the movie is a synopsis of the book and people that do not like to read can have the chance to see the book in real life without having to read and it is a motivation to make those people read if they get interested into the movie.

As a suggestion, at the beggining or at the last of the movie it should say "from the book..." so those that have none idea of where the director comes with the cleaver idea of making a movie understand that the movie usually comes from a book.

message 18: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (godwithus) well.... i think that its a tradition

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate it when people say "You know there's a book for that movie?"

message 20: by Adena (last edited Mar 31, 2012 09:41AM) (new)

Adena (dinoxouris) | 205 comments Snickerdoodle, i hate to say that i say that to people all the time. you know, to my friends who think it's the exact same thing to watch the movie than to read a book. i hate when people do that. dont you agree?

But yea, when people say that to me i say, "Yep, i read it. did you?"

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha :) Same. They usually turn red and walk away.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (charlie_awesome) | 2311 comments Mod
ahaha. I usally proclaim that I want to read it (If it's like a classic) but if it's a modern book, then I'm like Yeah I read it

message 23: by Adena (new)

Adena (dinoxouris) | 205 comments Snickerdoodle wrote: "Haha :) Same. They usually turn red and walk away."

ROFL. XD

message 24: by Eira (new)

Eira Snow (eirasnow) | 62 comments i want a warriors movie (by erin hunter) sort of, because it'd be nice to watch, but it's already nice when i mention it to someone and they don't know what it is. i also think it would be turned into something much more childish.
with the hunger games, their are so many people (that i know) who are like 'yeah, i saw the movie, i'm like the world's biggest fan'. i got the book before the movie came out, but discovered it because of the movie ads. i like the book better, because it shows more of the characters, and how come buttercup is BLACK AND WHITE?!
He looks like Tallstar (lol).

message 25: by Leah (new)

Leah | 159 comments It really bothered me that Buttercup was black and white because it SPECIFICALLY SAID THAT BUTTERCUP HAD A "COAT THE COLOR OF ROTTING SQUASH!!!!" Sorry about that! My rant is over.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) I know exactly what you all are talking about. When I first read the book about a year ago I was like "OMG THIS BOOK IS SOOOO FUDGIN' AWESOME! MUST SEE THE MOVIE NOW!" and then I was waiting for the movie and I was like "OMG _____ (fill in blank with a number) days until THG movie. It is going to awesome." And then at the theater right as the previews were coming on I was all like, "OMGOMGOMG I AM WATCHING THG!" and then after the movie was over I was like, "Oh."

I am not by any means saying that the movie wasn't great, because I loved it, but I had higher standards than that for the movie of the best book in the universe.

And I know right with Buttercup. That squash must've been really rotten because I have never seen a rotting squash that was black and white. And don't even get me started on that Cornucopia. It looked like a FUDGIN' GARAGE!

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah | 159 comments Yes, yes it was.